Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Chicago Booth (WL & Denied), Duke Fuqua (IN), UNC KF (IN)
 Q50  V40
WE 1: Transportation Infrastructure, Public Sector, India
WE 2: Transportation Safety, State of California
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Chicago Booth (WL & Denied), Duke Fuqua (IN), UNC KF (IN)
 Q50  V40
WE 1: Transportation Infrastructure, Public Sector, India
WE 2: Transportation Safety, State of California
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua VS. UNC Kenan-Flagler [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
So glad to have helped you make your decision!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Kudos
*Completely* agreed. Especially as someone from the Triangle and who has seen both schools.

The money is definitely a big draw that you have to consider. If you're going into a lesser paid field -- non-profit, govt, NGO -- then UNC would be the better choice for that reason as you'll have no debts to pay off. If you're going into a competitive field -- the MMCs and BCGS -- then Duke is hands down more worthy. Assuming you do well and get promotion as desired, you'll pay the money you owe back in a few years.

There are many other confounding variables obviously. An average Fuqua grad is probably not as impressive as a KF top 1% person. And maybe you can really do well at a large, prominent place like the UN and then move into consulting making even more than some in private industry. You never know. But given a baseline assumption, I think Jennifer is right....

jenniferbloom wrote:
becnil wrote:
Hello,

I need a little advice from you. I have an Admission offer from Duke Fuqua, and another from UNC Kenan-Flagler. Duke did not offer me any assistance, whereas UNC is offering me a $30,000 per year Fellowship.

Could you please comment on how I could decide among the two? Also, is it possible that I could talk to Duke Fuqua with this update and request them to reconsider some financial aid for me?

I have visited Duke and loved it - I did not visit UNC yet. Chicago Booth was my top choice where I was waitlisted in R1 and then rejected. Duke Fuqua was my second choice after all my visits. My career goal is international consulting, focusing on infrastructure & public sector.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Niladri.

Hi, Niladri. Congratulations on the admissions offers and scholarship money. Yes, you can certainly ask Duke to consider giving you financial assistance to make your decision easier. That is no guarantee, obviously, that you will receive anything. So here are some things to consider: according to the Financial Timeshttps://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings-2011, there is nearly $22K difference in post-graduation earnings between grads of Duke and grads of UNC, meaning it would take you less than 3 years to make up the $60K you turn down from UNC to attend Duke. If you are planning on entering a lower-paying industry (ie., not finance or consulting) in which the name and reputation of the program matters less, then in my opinion you are probably better off choosing UNC. However, if you are going for the heavy hitters, recruiting is going to be a lot easier for you at Duke.
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for your input and the additional considerations to incorporate, Becnil!
GMAT Club Bot