Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: MS Accounting
Schools:UT-Austin
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
Re: Anyone know anything about UMKC's MSA program? [#permalink]
mpaguy wrote:
Thanks, I'll definitely give KU a look. The only problem is that I don't have an undergrad degree in accounting. Do you have any idea about whether my lack of business background (other than a few intro classes) would be a problem in getting into KU's Macc program?

Ah, yes, that does change some things. See KU's site for specifics

https://www.business.ku.edu/masters/accounting/

According to one part of the site, it appears they must offer some sort of introductory plan for those without an undergrad in accounting:

"The MAcc program is designed to be a seamless fifth year of study for accounting students. However, those beginning the program without an accounting degree may be required to take certain prerequisite courses. Incoming students must have a foundation in accounting that includes coursework in introductory and intermediate financial accounting, introductory and intermediate managerial accounting, information systems for accountants, introductory taxation, and auditing."

I assume you're wanting to end up in the KC area? Do you live there now? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want that info public) If your top priority is getting an accounting degree ASAP then UMKC might be a good choice. However, if you're serious about wanting to start off at Big 4, you'll probably need to navigate the KU prereqs or choose a third program as I'd be surprised if 1 student a year is picked up from UMKC between all 4 firms.

If you want some contacts at KU to discuss the MAcc further, let me know. I've stayed in touch with several professors in leadership roles in the accounting program and would be happy to provide you with their email addresses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PM'ed!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I'm currently in the UMKC MSA program qualifying for the CPA exam. The impression Sailorette gives is fairly accurate, but UMKC does a smidge better than the impression given. Every major firm in the city including the Big 4 presents here through BAP, and the standout students here get Big 4 offers. But if you can't crack the top 5% of the class, you'll be looking at regional firms.

In terms of actual learning, the professors here are exceptional!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
method wrote:
I'm currently in the UMKC MSA program qualifying for the CPA exam. The impression Sailorette gives is fairly accurate, but UMKC does a smidge better than the impression given. Every major firm in the city including the Big 4 presents here through BAP, and the standout students here get Big 4 offers. But if you can't crack the top 5% of the class, you'll be looking at regional firms.

In terms of actual learning, the professors here are exceptional!

Hi! I'm thinking about going to UMKC for the MSA program as well. I was looking at the grad student handbook though, and they mentioned that classes are only twice a week and in the evening. Is this true for all of the classes? Seems like it's geared towards people working fulltime? Thanks for the help!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
No, unfortunately that's not very accurate!

The typical time blocks are:

Two-day blocks (MW or TR)
12:30-1:45pm
2:00-3:15pm
4:00-5:15pm
5:30-6:45pm

One-day blocks (M,T,W, or R)
7:00-9:45pm

So like right now, I take a MW 12:30pm, TR 5:30-6:45pm, and a W 7:00-9:45pm.

They do a decent job of mixing the classes around from semester to semester, so if you can only take classes at night you can still finish the program without much hassle. In the Fall and Spring, if you need to take nonprofit accounting then you're only given the MW 2:00 option. But you can take it in the short Summer term where it's all evening classes for three weeks too.

I hope that helps! Oh and I guess I should say that yes, there's a lot of people working full-time. But there's also a lot of undergraduates, and many of the classes have both student populations in them with the only curricular difference being an extra project for the graduate students.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Great, thanks for clarifying. Good luck with your courses!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts