Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Kellogg or Columbia?

69% [9]
30% [4]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs. Columbia [#permalink]
sratzi wrote:
I've spent way too much time debating between these schools in my head and would love to hear your advice! I've seen similar posts out there, but my interests and goals are different than some of the others so I wanted to create a new post for this.

What I've figured out so far...

1) Academics: I want to do International Business and Management. Purely based on US News rankings, overall, Kellogg is #5, Columbia is #9. In specific areas, Kellogg is #3 for Management, whereas Columbia is #10. For International business, Columbia is #8 and Kellogg isn't even in the top 10. For those unaware of b-schools, they immediately assume Columbia is the better school... perhaps the Ivy name?

2) Social: I love the feel of Kellogg students and the environment. I also love New York City. Columbia students are stereotyped as generally more competitive than Kellogg students. Chicago is just not NYC to me. I have great friends in both cities, so it's a tie there. I could not go to Columbia Connect so I can only base my opinions of Columbia students from what I've read/heard, unfortunately.

3) Job prospects: I think I want to go into Consulting. I believe Kellogg is better for this than Columbia. However, I would eventually like to live in NYC so is it better to go to business school in the city where you want to work?

4) Alumni: I have loved all of the Kellogg alumni that I have met. They have been very excited about their school and have been very encouraging. On the other hand, I can't get anyone in the Hermes Society at Columbia to respond to me... I've also heard that it's harder to network with Columbia students than it is with Kellogg students (NYC vs. Evanston).

5) Tuition: Columbia has offered me a small fellowship and I am still waiting to hear back from Kellogg. I doubt the money alone would sway me, but it definitely was nice to hear.

Overall, I am leaning slightly more towards Kellogg, but I really could go either way. I appreciate the help!!

Although I am obviously biased, I'd like to share my two cents.

1) Academics - Rather than focus on the US News specialty rankings (which are essentially just polls and the methodology is highly suspect) I would focus more on the specific courses and programs available at each school which interest you. My sense is that this is a wash, but it really depends on your intended focus, IMO.

2) Social - The stereotypes about CBS students are very outdated and the school has clearly been working hard to change this. At Columbia Connect, I was amazed by all of the diverse personalities. Admissions seems to be really focused on building a class of outgoing, interesting people that really want to be here (side note: this is I think is the true purpose of early decision, not yield management). All of my interactions with students and alumni have been welcoming and this was a major factor in my decision. It's unfortunate that yours have not been as positive, but I would try to talk to more people before you dismiss the whole student body.

3) Job Prospects/Location - Kellogg is definitely more well known for consulting placement but CBS is actually pretty strong here as well. All of the top consultancies recruit here so it just comes down to your interviewing and case cracking skills. I'm not sure if any of the boutiques recruit at Kellogg but not Columbia, but if your goal is M/B/B your job prospects are not at all different. If your intention is to live in NYC after school, I think Columbia is a no-brainer. Sure, plenty of people from Kellogg will end up here, but bottom line you'll have a much deeper network and a two year headstart. This was one of my primary motivations for going to Columbia since I have relocated cross-country twice and have little desire to do it again after school.

4) Alumni - Again, your experience is much different than mine has been, but at the end of the day this is a gut decision. If you are in a place where you feel you will be happy, you will probably make better connections and the network will take care of itself.

5) Tuition - It is nice to be wanted, isn't it. :)

At the end of the day, you should go where you will get the most out of the experience and only you can make that judgement. I just get sick of reading these CBS stereotypes that don't jive with my experience and need to be debunked.

Alex - I love your writing and you have fantastic advice, but you need to take another look at CBS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
My personal choice would be Kellogg, but I wanted to point out that from your post it sounds like you are more than leaning a little bit toward Kellogg. On every metric you cite Kellogg as having an edge and you loved the school environment when you visited. I love NY too and figured I wanted the best MBA experience and the city will always be there. Good luck with your choice.

Becky
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Wow, this really opened my eyes about Booth. I thought much the same about its student body after reading other posts at other BBs. Much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Thank you all for your views!! I definitely appreciate reading the different perspectives - helps me find clarity as well!

I'll admit, I have been leaning towards Kellogg since the beginning of the application process, primarily due to the student network and collaborative environment, but Columbia has been rising in my esteem since I visited the campus and learned more about the program.

As I said before, unfortunately I could not attend Columbia Connect (I was accepted a week after the event) and I unfortunately have only heard back from one alum - although he has given me glowing reviews. I did attend DAK and loved everything I learned about Kellogg (barring the old buildings, but I guess that's the same disadvantage for both schools)

When it all comes down to it, here's what I'm down to:

Students: Kellogg wins (for me - I have a better feel here)
Money: Columbia has the slight edge, although Alex's point that the higher cost of living wipes out that fellowship is very valid
Job Placement: I agree with all the other posters, for consulting, either school will be great. Both win here

The only thing I'm not sure about is reputation. Columbia appears to have the edge with non-business folk and has many distinguished alumni (although I must say, Warren Buffett is referenced WAY too often). I know Kellogg wasn't great 25 years ago, but how is its reputation now in the business world (globally)? I know rankings aren't everything, but I wonder why Financial Times always ranks Kellogg so much lower than all others.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
It depends on WHOM you want to impress with your MBA. Most Top 10 MBAs I've met have a view of Columbia that is strikingly similar to Alex's; their view of Kellogg is less well defined. Similarly, non-MBAs who come from elite US institutions repeat something akin to what Alex just wrote. However, in the wider community, Columbia's brand has much greater currency. So it depends what market you want to trade in, as always...
GMAT Club Bot