Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: which program to attend? Georgetown no $ vs Olin with $ [#permalink]
Switching into PE from those schools is going to be nearly impossible, especially without any high finance experience. I don't know too much about international placement but Olin places about 73% in the Midwest and neither schools places extremely well into IB. Georgetown is probably your best bet...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EChopeful12 wrote:
Switching into PE from those schools is going to be nearly impossible, especially without any high finance experience. I don't know too much about international placement but Olin places about 73% in the Midwest and neither schools places extremely well into IB. Georgetown is probably your best bet...

Thanks a lot!
Could you please share more about reputation (not just on the ranking list) and quality about these two program?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
sometimes i wonder what people who are interested in VC/IB are even doing applying to schools like these. How is that these questions come up after you have gone through the arduous application process ? Did you do any research at all on these schools?

And now you want the answers from a message board?

Just look at the the info you have gotten thus far:

"Switching to PE is near impossible from these schools"
(well it is from any school, even HBS)....so....."Georgetown is probably your best bet"

You want real answers?

Reach out to the students and alumni who are trying to break into PE, ask them how its going
Reach out to PE firms ask them. Pick up the phone and get it done.

IB is doable but still very hard. at both schools, have spoken with many alums, IB is represented. But not at the level as other schools. PE = non existent.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
sometimes i wonder what people who are interested in VC/IB are even doing applying to schools like these. How is that these questions come up after you have gone through the arduous application process ? Did you do any research at all on these schools?

(well it is from any school, even HBS)....so....."Georgetown is probably your best bet"

You want real answers?

Reach out to the students and alumni who are trying to break into PE, ask them how its going

He was asking about PE in Hong Kong, not the US. He's not asking about megafunds recruiting on campus. You want a stronger global brand? Go to Georgetown. His chances of landing a PE gig are incredibly slim but he might be able to secure a spot at a small PE shop in Asia if he networks well enough. Same with IB.

Yes, speaking with alumni and clubs on campus is a good idea, but just looking at the percentage of international placement, Georgetown comes in with 11% and Olin has just 7%. More international alumni = great chance of networking your way into a job.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EChopeful12 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

You want real answers?

IB is doable but still very hard. I am admitted at both schools, have spoken with many alums, IB is represented. But not at the level as other schools. PE = non existent.

He was asking about PE in Hong Kong, not the US. He's not asking about megafunds recruiting on campus. You want a stronger global brand? Go to Georgetown. His chances of landing a PE gig are incredibly slim but he might be able to secure a spot at a small PE shop in Asia if he networks well enough. Same with IB.

Yes, speaking with alumni and clubs on campus is a good idea, but just looking at the percentage of international placement, Georgetown comes in with 11% and Olin has just 7%. More international alumni = great chance of networking your way into a job.

Hi, both of your comments are great. Actually, I've thought a lot about the future during my application. You know, it's true that I have many years of experience in manufacturing , in operations management, however, it's never too late to change my career track. That's why I think a MBA will help me to transform.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
EChopeful12 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

You want real answers?

IB is doable but still very hard. I am admitted at both schools, have spoken with many alums, IB is represented. But not at the level as other schools. PE = non existent.

When did he say he didnt want a mega fund?

Again, just looking at placement stats isnt enough. What if the mere 4% difference in international placements is due to the fact that gtown has a higher percent returning to their home country. What if it is because gtown has a higher % of international students to begin with.

Both school are regional in nature, I agree that Gtown has a better international brand, but looking at baseline stats isnt enough.THat said, I too think he'd be better off at Gtown. However, it doesnt mean he cant get IB out of Olin. PE is so hard enough to begin with, and non existent at gtown/olin, that I wonder why he even applied, thats all.

It boggles my mind why people dont learn these things before applying.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
[/quote]

Hi, both of your comments are great. Actually, I've thought a lot about the future during my application. You know, it's true that I have many years of experience in manufacturing , in operations management, however, it's never too late to change my career track. That's why I think a MBA will help me to transform.[/quote]

Im sure you did, you also need to think about how a certain school will affect that future.
Best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but is Georgetown MBA on the rise?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jordanhendrix wrote:
When did he say he didnt want a mega fund?

Again, just looking at placement stats isnt enough. What if the mere 4% difference in international placements is due to the fact that gtown has a higher percent returning to their home country. What if it is because gtown has a higher % of international students to begin with.

Both school are regional in nature, I agree that Gtown has a better international brand, but looking at baseline stats isnt enough.THat said, I too think he'd be better off at Gtown. However, it doesnt mean he cant get IB out of Olin. PE is so hard enough to begin with, and non existent at gtown/olin, that I wonder why he even applied, thats all.

It boggles my mind why people dont learn these things before applying.

You make a good point. Whenever I see these post-admit posts, I get a little confused since supposedly adcoms want to see concrete career plans and what not.
GMAT Club Bot