Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 02:53 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 02:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,    Strengthen,                            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2780 [64]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 941 [5]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 941 [0]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Re: Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an i [#permalink]
IMO C.
As Vitacorp's booth will be well attended because of existing customer, other people will get attracted towards it.
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 591 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Close call between A and C.

If we negate C, it actually crashes the conclusion of wanting more people to attend.So, basically a assumption answer choice.

In A,if they inform about the products then new customers might not attend the sales Booth.

Hence C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
garimavyas wrote:
Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an industry convention more productive in
terms of boosting sales. The booth offers information introducing the company’s new products and services. To
achieve the desired result, Vitacorp’s marketing department will attempt to attract more people to the both. The
marketing director’s first measure was to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and
personally invite them to visit the booth.
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the marketing director’s first measure
will contribute to meeting the goals of boosting sales?
(A) Vitacorp’s salespeople routinely inform each important customer about new products and services as soon
as the decision to launch them has been made.
(B) Many of Vitacorp’s competitors have made plans for making their won information booths more productive in
increasing sales.
(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended
the booth.
(D) Most of Vitacorp’s best customers also have business dealings with Vitacorp’s competitors.
(E) Vitacorp has fewer new products and services available this year than it had in previous years.

The close contest is between A and C. You can negate A because it tell you that salesperson inform the important customers....but it doen't tell you anything about the aftereffects of this proces. Whereas in C he clearly mentions that "well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended
the booth", which is in favour of Marketing Director's plan

Therefore the answer is C
What is the source of this question?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1182 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
+1 for C, more customers will come at booth on seeing that a few are already there - something like a snowball effect. Choice A actually weakens it, because if people know about the products, they will not prefer to come to the booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Is this a Strength question or an Inference question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
C for me as well.

Its a strengthen question. For inference question, the wording of question stem would say "most strongly supported by".

Crick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
+1 C,

A - weakens
B - irrelevant
C - supports, it shows how first measure will help achieve Vitacorp's main aim
D - irrelevant
E - irrelevant, we are talking about first measure, bringing best customers to the booth, not about fewer or more products.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
ravi67741 wrote:
garimavyas wrote:
Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an industry convention more productive in
terms of boosting sales. The booth offers information introducing the company’s new products and services. To
achieve the desired result, Vitacorp’s marketing department will attempt to attract more people to the both. The
marketing director’s first measure was to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the marketing director’s first measure
(A) Vitacorp’s salespeople routinely inform each important customer about new products and services as soon
(B) Many of Vitacorp’s competitors have made plans for making their won information booths more productive in
increasing sales.
(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended
the booth.
(D) Most of Vitacorp’s best customers also have business dealings with Vitacorp’s competitors.
(E) Vitacorp has fewer new products and services available this year than it had in previous years.

The close contest is between A and C. You can negate A because it tell you that salesperson inform the important customers....but it doen't tell you anything about the aftereffects of this proces. Whereas in C he clearly mentions that "well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended
the booth", which is in favour of Marketing Director's plan

Therefore the answer is C
What is the source of this question?

the question is tagged to GMAC paper tests, so that should be the source.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4722 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
increasing sales.
the booth.

If increased attendance guarantees prospective customers, why not plant our own people as visitors, director? ;) All about ethics, I guess.

C is the best among the given options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
neeshpal wrote:
C IMO too.

Guys I have some observations regarding this CR question. I am a bit confused so I will try to explain my logic as clear as possible:

The question asks:
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the marketing director’s first measure will contribute to meeting the goals of boosting sales?

So I started looking for the marketing director’s first measure:
“The marketing director’s first measure was to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and personally invite them to visit the booth.”
So the marketing director first measure is related to current costumers.

The OG answer: C
“(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth.”
The problem with this answer is that it is not related to “The marketing director’s first measure” which is: “to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and personally invite them to visit the booth”. (C) Is related attract new costumers only!

On the other hand, (D):
“(D) Most of Vitacorp’s best customers also have business dealings with Vitacorp’s competitors.”
Answer D is the only one related current costumers, that’s why I thought (D) was the best answer. It would be very likely that If most of Vitacorps's best costumers have dealings with Vitacorp's competitors, the strategy oriented to invite the costumers to the booth would increase the customer loyalty at expenses of Vitacorps competitors, is'nt it?.

Please help!!!
PS: Sorry for my bad english! :p
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3990 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
TheRunawayFound wrote:
neeshpal wrote:
C IMO too.

“(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth.”
The problem with this answer is that it is not related to “The marketing director’s first measure” which is: “to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and personally invite them to visit the booth”. (C) Is related attract new costumers only!

+1 C

Actually, it is related! If the current customers go to visit the booth, the other visitors will see that that booth is full of people, so they will interested in visit the booth too.
It seems that you don't know well the concepts behind CR, have you read the Powerscore CR Bible? It would be a great start!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
metallicafan wrote:
TheRunawayFound wrote:
neeshpal wrote:
C IMO too.

+1 C

Actually, it is related! If the current customers go to visit the booth, the other visitors will see that that booth is full of people, so they will interested in visit the booth too.
It seems that you don't know well the concepts behind CR, have you read the Powerscore CR Bible? It would be a great start!

This is an oldish thread but I need to clarify a few things. First, I picked D, following TheRunawayFound's logic. Here's a few more thoughts why:

The measure is to call the best customers. This doesn't guarantee that a) they will go, b) that they will be present at a time that more people would be around the booth i.e. what if they go 8am when nobody's around? However if they DO go and there ARE people around, it might help.
Also, what if this company sells something which screams "niche product" in that people wandering around won't be interested. We don't know that, and we can't make any assumptions about the usability of the product. For example, I believe that the general public doesn't gather around whenever they see people gathered, they just surpass them.

My take for D: Vitacorp is trying to make its best customers become completely dedicated to Vitacorp. Since they are already its best customers, maybe they have some new products which they want to pass to those customers who at the time purchase them from Vitacorp's competitors. Therefore the measure is "invite them, and cut them from the competitors" therefore securing them.

Having said all that, I understand the reasons for C, I'm just not sold.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
vksunder wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 82
Page: 150
Difficulty:

Vitacorp, a manufacturer, wishes to make its information booth at an industry convention more productive in terms of boosting sales. The booth offers information introducing the company’s new products and services. To achieve the desired result, Vitacorp’s marketing department will attempt to attract more people to the both. The marketing director’s first measure was to instruct each salesperson to call his or her five best customers and personally invite them to visit the booth.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the marketing director’s first measure will contribute to meeting the goals of boosting sales?

(A) Vitacorp’s salespeople routinely inform each important customer about new products and services as soon as the decision to launch them has been made.
(B) Many of Vitacorp’s competitors have made plans for making their won information booths more productive in increasing sales.
(C) An information booth that is well attended tends to attract visitors who would not otherwise have attended the booth.

Wait a minute - whats the significance of calling current customers then. If all we need is information booth that is well attended. Well we can achieve that - even by having current employees on the information booth - if just by looking at the crowd people are indeed getting attracted. I chose D - but one reasoning to negate D could be - first, 1. the custoemrs are VC's best customers, but VC may not be their best dealer, since they are buying products from VC's competitors as well. 2. How do we know that they would boast about VC convincingly and not talk about their competitor's fine points.

I do agree with the reasoning posted above for C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Although I got my answer correct, but I pre-assumed something different than given in the answer choice. Please check whether this my pre-assumption is also correct:

The marketing director wants to promote sales using word of mouth.

Thanks and Regards
Tushar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Conclusion: To attract more people.
Premise: Invite 5 best customers to visit the booth.

Assumption: They will attract more people.

Something which validates this assumption will strengthen
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
I feel that an answer choice that people who are called by Salesperson will probably attend the booth.. Isn't that more appropriate. I am not convinced with C as it assumes that mere calling and inviting top customers to booth will surely translate into their visit. And the rest will follow. Pls explain why implicit assumption has not been addressed
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15303 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos