Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

For entrepreneurship, MIT or INSEAD?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: MIT vs INSEAD vs Entrepreneurship [#permalink]
where do you envision growing your business? in the us?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
First of all thanks for your replies. Really good input which has made me think a lot. Sorry I didn´t answer before (technical problems). Before getting into it: I decided to go to B-School (private message if you want to know which).

Lgomez: Lead a business of which I will/would be partner (with minority). Ultimately, my involvement was really complicated (long story).

Alex:

Your post was great and made me go through a lot of thinking. Must say I agree with many of your points, don´t agree on others (maybe experience will teach me otherwise).

The romanticism of being an entrepreneur does die really fast when stressful moments come. I´ve lived them, put of weight, gone into depression, and shed a stress tear. I quit a job to become an entrepreneur. For some moments, I could have payed to go back a couple of months back to get my job back. Those experiences came with a cost, and I would not want to live them again, but I am glad I did, and I know that next time I won´t make the same mistakes. I don´t know what I´ll do next, but I´ll definitely try something. Which takes me to my next point.

For some reason, I do feel the need to begin NOW (or ASAP). Why? I think Eureka moments are important, but I don´t think that waiting 10 or 15 years for them to come is the correct strategy for me. At my job, there was rarely any time for me to sit and work through an idea to develop (working 9 am to 8 pm at least for 5 days a week). After quitting my job, I have become more observant and very motivated to develop new ideas (still haven´t capitalized on many). I love that feeling, and as an employee it was hard for me to find it, perhaps at a less demanding job I would have.

Also, as years go by it may be more difficult for me to take entrepreneurial risks. I can´t deny that the fear of not being able to afford family expenses would keep me at a job, probably forever. I can afford those risks now, maybe not later.

In my case, I will try and force the issue ("I am going to have a business plan by the time I graduate [and will have pitched it several times]"). I am going with that mindset because I think that´s the way it works for me, maybe in 2 years I will think differently (Apple ad here), I´ll let you know. I don´t plan for my business to be Google 5 years after graduation, but I do plan to work hard on it for 15 to 25 years for it to become something of value to society.

In the end, I took your advice: "worry less about "entrepreneurship" and more on which school you'll likely enjoy more and yield a richer life experience". I chose the one my heart felt more in place with, and where I believe I can obtain a better experience for what I am looking for.

BTW, both schools are INCREDIBLE, in the end it was more about fit and circumstance. It´s hard to give advice on "which is better", I realized both are, but in the end, one is better... for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
hello everyone, I am planning to go for an mba in entrep. as well but as some have suggested above, i would like to work in a reg. job before starting off a business few yrs down the line. I am trying to find out what are the possible jobs for an IT background person with an MBA in entrep. ?
long term goal is an IT startup so do the IT companies hire entrep. MBA'S for mgmt or consultant positions? what are the other options?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 667 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: MBA-Entrepreneurship
Schools:Belmont University
 Q25  V25 GMAT 2: 420  Q23  V24
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
Shalom!
[b]I am glad that this topic was posted. I too am considering an MBA in Entrepreneurship. I recently graduated from Belmont University's PBBA program. When I returned to school I planned to become an accountant but lost interest after noticing the way the major accounting firms like Ernst & Young and Deloitte would treat me when they would have interviews on campus. Don't get me wrong I like accounting but decided against going after the CPA license during my senior year. I am currently writing my first book that covers an historical event. I have four books to write. I went to Belmont recently to have a talk with the professor in charge of the Entrepreneur emphasis of Belmont's PMBA program. I asked him how would the Entrepreneurship MBA degree help me to promote my books. He said I really don't need the degree to do that. He said that I can start a business that helps me promote my books without the degree. I am an adult student. All I need now is to take the GMAT in order to continue my education. Not many people get the opportunity to obtain a Master's degree. I would hate to pass up this opportunity.
[/b]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
IMHO, going to get an MBA with the purpose of going into Entpr. Is a bit of wasted time and money. For those who are lucky enough to create a profitable idea, there is very little to be gained from a MBA, name brand or not.
Being an Entpr. Is one hell of a ride. There is no way to really prep for it and a degree is certainly not going to make or break it, you wil just know more than Joe blow inventor. But if Joe blow inventor was really on fire for his idea, it would be a successful venture almost regardless... There are so many resource you can tap nowadays to help you with a business knowledge gap. I mean shoot- in the time it took me to write this post, I could have made my own LLC (not really but you get the idea).

Not all things in life are black and white, but Entpr. Is like the Nike slogan.... Just do it!

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
MIT will have much better entrepreneur program at INSEAD. INSEAD is basically a factory for consultants in Europe and Asia. MIT has a great entrepreneur program, especially in technology. They host an annual start up challenge/elevator pitch contest, which attracts a lot of VCs. The parent institution is known for spinning off technologies. Even if you are don't doing a tech startup, you can learn a lot from that entrepernuerial atmosphere.
GMAT Club Bot