Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Re: Job/role shift ~ same time as applying for R1s = good idea? [#permalink]
I am applying this fall and I am changing a position soon.

From that I read, most of the schools ask for professional recommendors, preferably a current or a previous boss. Where did you read it SHALL BE the current boss??? Please provide a reference. Anyhow, I don't care: I cannot get a LOR from the present boss.

In your situation, in you apply this fall you lose nothing but your time and application money. Therefore, I'd personally would try this year!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Vorski, nowhere did I mention that it has to be a current boss :) My question and concern hovers around the fact that if it is not a current boss then how much would it affect my application potential.

Yes I know that the obvious loss is just time and application money. But I also believe there is one more loss - reapplication would generally call for change/improvement in profile - which puts an additional requirement for the next year.

I think I too will give it a shot this year and try to see if I can manage a recommendation even from the current boss. But I would still appreciate more views from the senior/experienced folks! Thanks for your reply Vorski!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Columbia '13
Send PM
preface: I'm starting b school this fall.

I switched jobs in July, about 2 months before I began preparing my applications for R1 last fall. I got reccs. from two previous managers, and simply explained my situation if there was an opportunity to do so (just wrote something to the effect of: I just switched jobs and felt that my previous managers could comment more specifically on my progress than my new ones). It didn't seem to bode badly for me in my applications; I think if the timing is close enough, then it actually makes sense to use your previous employer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the reply rsxgirl01. The reference to an opportunity to explain the situation points to the separate essay to talk about why the current manager recommendation is missing? Or is it some other place in the application?

Also best wishes for your b-school program!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Columbia '13
Send PM
hey Yabba. you have a good point. of the three apps I did in my R1, two had an option to add such a note; the other one didn't. so it seems it is individual to certain schools. But the gist is, wherever there is an opportunity to write such a note, I took advantage.
GMAT Club Bot