Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [4]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619153 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Alina and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as wedding fav [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi, I have an issue with comprehending such problems. Could any of you correct me please. I know the solution to the problem is 10.

My approach is : Each box can contain two truffles, so if I say there are two slots in the box then the first slot has the possibility of 5 different types of truffles and the next slot has the possibility of 4 different types of truffles. So i concluded 5*4 = 20 as the answer.

Can any of you please identify the flaw in my approach to the problem. Again, I know the solution, but I want to know what exactly is the flaw in the argument presented above, so that I don't repeat the mistake again.

The problem with your solution is that 20 has duplications in it: box holding {A, B} is the same as the box holding {B, A} and 5*4 will give you both boxes.

The question basically asks: in how many ways we can select 2 different truffles out of 5, which is simply \(C^2_5=10\).

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Alina and Adam are making boxes of truffles to give out as wedding fav [#permalink]
Kudos
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi, I have an issue with comprehending such problems. Could any of you correct me please. I know the solution to the problem is 10.

My approach is : Each box can contain two truffles, so if I say there are two slots in the box then the first slot has the possibility of 5 different types of truffles and the next slot has the possibility of 4 different types of truffles. So i concluded 5*4 = 20 as the answer.

Can any of you please identify the flaw in my approach to the problem. Again, I know the solution, but I want to know what exactly is the flaw in the argument presented above, so that I don't repeat the mistake again.

I think you are using the slot-method. I am not very familiar with it, but you are missing the last step:

_ _ , two slots that can be filled in 5*4=20 ways. Correct till here, but then you have to divide for the "factorial" number of interchangeable slots, in this case \(2!=2\). So the final result is \(\frac{5*4}{2}=10\).
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma niks18 pushpitkc pikolo2510 chetan2u

What is incorrect in below approach:
Category 1 of truffle can be selected in 5C1 (out of 5 different varieties, I need to choose 1)
Category 2 of truffle can be selected in 4C1 (out of 4 available varieties, I need to choose 1)

Hence: Final ans: 5C1 * 4C1
AND means to multiply since I want two different types of truffle in box
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31944 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Category 1 of truffle can be selected in 5C1 (out of 5 different varieties, I need to choose 1)
Category 2 of truffle can be selected in 4C1 (out of 4 available varieties, I need to choose 1)

Hi...

By doing 5C1*4C1, you are choosing two -- one after another
Say five different types are A,B,C,D,E
But here the order does not matter AB in the box is same as BA in the box
So either divide your result by 2 so 5*4/2=10
Or choose 2 out of 5 = 5C2=5!/(3!2!)=10
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
adkikani wrote:

Hi adkikani

Lets say the five truffles are A,B,C,D, and E

Category one - A | Category two - C
is the same as
Category one - C | Category two - A

So, the final possibilities for the truffles in the box are \(\frac{C_1^5 * C_1^4}{2} = 5*\frac{4}{2} = 10\)

Hope this clears your confusion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
adkikani wrote:

By using this method, AB and BA are two different combinations. But according to the question, position doesn't matter. Hence you need to divide by 2 to remove the duplicates

The other way to solve this , just use combination formula 5C2. Answer is 10
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
kiranck007 wrote:

I have the same issue, if someone could answer ?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts