Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
oacm wrote:
Linda,

Thank you for your advice. What kind of classes should I consider taking prior to applying to an MBA?

Thanks again!

Omar

Accounting, finance, econ, statistics for business.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I noticed in this post that you recommend some courses to take. What are your thoughts for individuals who travel full time in consulting careers. Are there online classes that you would recommend? Any specific programs or schools? I am shooting for top 15 level schools and hope to invest the time into a good set of classes that will not only impress adcoms but also benefit as a future student. Thank you for your time!
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
MBAguy2005 wrote:
Hi Linda

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I noticed in this post that you recommend some courses to take. What are your thoughts for individuals who travel full time in consulting careers. Are there online classes that you would recommend? Any specific programs or schools? I am shooting for top 15 level schools and hope to invest the time into a good set of classes that will not only impress adcoms but also benefit as a future student. Thank you for your time!

If you travel a lot and a traditional course would not work for you, then yes I recommend online courses. UCLA Extension has online courses as does NYU and I think the University of Maryland. I would recommend a university extension class over a for-profit school's online class because I believe that the adcoms will respect the univeristy's brand more than they would a for-profilt (like University of Phoenix) class.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda,

Thanks for your advice. I have noticed you have given advice to some users depending on their country of origin and field of work (i.e. Indian national with an IT Background). I am from Venezuela (Undergraduate from The Ohio State Univeristy), as I previously stated on my first note. Do you have any advice for me when it comes to comparing myself to people from my country/region (Latin America) and what gmat/gpa/work experience business schools usually use to benchmark students from my region?

Omar
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
oacm wrote:
Linda,

Thanks for your advice. I have noticed you have given advice to some users depending on their country of origin and field of work (i.e. Indian national with an IT Background). I am from Venezuela (Undergraduate from The Ohio State Univeristy), as I previously stated on my first note. Do you have any advice for me when it comes to comparing myself to people from my country/region (Latin America) and what gmat/gpa/work experience business schools usually use to benchmark students from my region?

Omar

Latin Americans are typically underrepresented in the business school population and are often accepted with lower than average (especially in the verbal section) GMAT scores. HOwever, in your case, you have a low GPA. I think at least an average GMAT for the schools you are applying to will be important. They will want to know that your lower overall GPA was not caused by a lack of ability. Furthermore I still encourage you to take some classes and earn A's. Unless there were extenuating circumstances, for the top schools a 2.57 is a very hard GPA for them to ignore, unless accompanied by recent A's and a competitive GMAT.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Linda. My situation is unique, my job requires 90% travel and most of the classes you mentioned to me I have already taken. My GPA for my upper courses is 3.1 (about l, the 2.57 comes from a very low 1st year (2.1). My Stats classes are above 3.0 as well as my Econ clases. I even took a Business Graduate Level Class in managment and earned a B+. Thanks for your advice again!

Omar
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]