Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Right amount of effort on AWA [#permalink]
I just got my official GMAT score and managed to get a 6.0 in AWA. This is my view on it:

- Make sure you practice AWA as part of your practice tests for the weeks leading up to you. It will help you build your mental stamina.
- Having said that, I found AWA can be used as a positive on test day. It eases you in after your AWA you will be comfortable in the test environment, your computer, your surroundings etc.
- I was a little worried about it but anyone who has written an essay in college can easily get a 6. Just follow the AWA guide posted on this forum.

In terms of significance, yes it has little to no bearing if your application is solid. I read that adcoms only look at it in rare cases. Nevertheless, until the GMAT is revamped we have to live with it and it's really not that hard so just read the guide and follow it and you should be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Too much effort on AWA may consume lots of mental energy. I think we should target about 5 in AWA instead of 6.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
Send PM
I think AWA needs no much effort if your grammar is sound, your thought pattern is sequential and you can translate it into black and white with little effort.

But the argument part of AWA may require some effort and I combined the techniques in CR with this one. The strategy paid off. You'd need to have the thought process of the kids of flaws GMAT can place in its argument essays and that should see you through.

I barely wrote a couple of essays on the d-day, even as I was busy in a function at home.

See my port in the GMAT experience folder, if you know what exactly transpired with me on AWA.

Regards
Rahul
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts