Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of [#permalink]
djacks1914 wrote:
Hey people, I'm new here and I'm ben studying for the GMAT for about a month a half by using the Official GMAT Guide, I'm scheduled to take the test on 08/29/03. I was wondering is this book enough to do well on the GMAT (600 - 700 range), the reason I ask this is because I feel that I've become to comfortable with this book, and as I use the PowerPrep software I realize my scores are somewhat skewed because I recognize most of the problems on the software from the book,if anyone can share how they studied, what the materials, and techniques you used to excel on the GMAT, I would be greatly appreciative,

Derrick

Hmmm...you are asking whether a book is capable of putting you in a given scoring range, to which I would answer "no." I can tell you that I found the questions in powerprep (10th ed) to be very similar to those I saw on the GMAT, both in Q and V. I got a 700, and believe that the PP prepared me well, so I can safely say that scoring at a 600-700 scoring level on the PP CD tests means you can expect to be in that range on test day. However, Kaplan questions and their broad range of topics allowed me to get several harder questions correct that I might otherwise have missed.

Just take 5-7 practice tests total (PP, Kaplan) and get your timing down. That will give you more confidence on the test.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72914 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
djacks1914 wrote:
Hey people, I'm new here and I'm ben studying for the GMAT for about a month a half by using the Official GMAT Guide, I'm scheduled to take the test on 08/29/03. I was wondering is this book enough to do well on the GMAT (600 - 700 range), the reason I ask this is because I feel that I've become to comfortable with this book, and as I use the PowerPrep software I realize my scores are somewhat skewed because I recognize most of the problems on the software from the book,if anyone can share how they studied, what the materials, and techniques you used to excel on the GMAT, I would be greatly appreciative,

Derrick

The book may be enough for different people. You will need to see your PP scores. It is hard to say really. I have not even read through it; just used Kaplan's stuff, so it is possible that Kaplan's books are enough, but some people get both OG and Kaplan, and still get 550 even though they can recite all problems in the books - it really depends on how quick and good you are at some things - how your mind works, how attentive to detaisl you are, and how good your memory can catch the solution path. Also, ability to use old tricks in unfamilar questions seems to be a quality in demand on the test day - GMAC attempts to diversify their questions and go beyond OG stuff. What I have been trying to say is that you will meet something new on the test.

BB

-=-=
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey guys thanks for the input, and BB thanks for the gmat exercises u sent me in my e-mail. I just bought the kaplan Guide (2004) I finally see what some people on the boards were talking about that the Kaplan questions are significantly difficult than those from the powerprep.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts