Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [0]
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Re: Usage of prepositional Phrase as adverb [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Neither of those is a simple question. Let's start with the pronoun issue.

First, pronoun ambiguity isn't as common a problem on real GMAT SC questions as it is on mock SC questions. When it really is an issue on the GMAT, it's often signaled by a split between a pronoun and a noun phrase (for instance, some answer choices might say "they" while others say "those professionals"). In fact, many correct answers have pronouns with more than one grammatically possible antecedent, but so long as the reader knows exactly which is intended, that's really no problem. So I'm inclined to worry less about ambiguity than are most people.

Second, well, you've got a fair point even so. A subject pronoun in a subordinate clause will generally refer to the subject of the dominant clause, if they agree in number, etc. "They" is the subject of a subordinate clause, so it refers back to...either "scientists" (because "scientists noted..." is the main clause of the whole sentence) or "rats" (because the "even though" subordinates "they had shown" to "rats...had begun").

I suppose that this sort of consideration could lead you to look for answers that cleared up this ambiguity by doing without that pronoun altogether. C and D are two such answers. As I wrote above though, I wouldn't expect this issue to bear much weight.

Alright, let's consider the modifier issue again. Why does "shown" modify "disease" rather than "signs"?

First, it's touching "disease." Now there are circumstances in which the noun modifier will modify the entire noun phrase, rather than just the closest noun ("signs of the disease" rather than just "disease"), but I don't think that this is one of those circumstances (see page 234 of our Sentence Correction Strategy Guide for Exceptions to the Touch Rule).

Second, even if we understand "shown" to modify "signs," we still have a problem. That just makes D suggest that there were some signs of the disease then shown, but that the rats were dying without them. But in fact, there were no such signs, as A makes clear.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Usage of prepositional Phrase as adverb [#permalink]