Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:51 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: MS Accounting for NYC-Law School drop out? [#permalink]
Sure! It sounds like you're in good shape and very prepared. I wouldn't worry too much about the admissions committee. MAcc admissions are not terribly demanding and with a 3.6 you're already at the top end of any applicant pool. If you GMAT anywhere in your expected range, I think you're an auto-admit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm a fellow law school drop out that came to the wonderful world of accounting. My story is a little different, and I don't want to bore the people in here with my pages of what I could say about the changes.

Long story short though, best decision of my life.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have time and would like to hear the long story version! How did you navigate the drop out/explaining it to other schools/ future employers? Did you put it on your resume?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK you asked for it! haha.

I went to a school recently accredited by the ABA, with a 160 on my LSAT and a 3.73 GPA. I went in with trepidation like you did, not really sure if I wanted to be a lawyer. I knew from the first day of orientation I would hate it. But I always thought to myself "Damn it Thad, you got into law school. People kill for this opportunity, you can't just quit." So I stayed until Thanksgiving Break of last year and walked into the Dean's office and quit. I signed one paper and left. It's amazing how easy it is to drop out of law school if you haven't already. They might get someone to make sure you are mentally OK in the brain to try and convince you to stay, but if you want to go - GET OUT!

In September, I took the GMAT in secret. I didn't study and I took it on a day that I didn't have regular morning classes and I skipped my "career development" class. Like I said, I didn't study a lick for it - because Lord forbid anyone know that I didn't want to be a lawyer any more. I already felt alone in the fact I hated law school (much like you it was the material - the people, while some were snobby, most were great), I couldn't ostracize myself more by trying to get out and making it publicly known. I had lost total interest in all my classes (torts, ks, property, civ pro, and research), and was basically surfing the web, writing emails, and applying to other programs during class. I ended up applying for Masters in Sports Management, Masters in Accounting, MBA, and Masters in Business Education programs. I was a lost pup to say the least. However, I decided on Accounting because of my background and I liked the options I would have with that degree.

I ended up making like a 570 - 590 on the GMAT. I don't really remember. You're ready for the reading and logic off the LSAT work you did. Review it, but the GMAT is a lot easier. Really prep for the math though - it's a different animal and chances are you haven't looked at it in a while. Use the same testing strategy you used for the LSAT - I am 99.99% sure it will work well for you.

So I hear from Master's programs in February. I kept the fact I dropped out a secret to everyone until January, when I didn't return to school (I was living at home during law school, which made this more awkward.) I spent January really figuring out what I wanted to do and where I wanted to do it. Luckily for me, with an undergraduate degree in accounting, I was ready to rock and roll. (UNC was out for me b/c of this though) I applied to five schools (Alabama, Ole Miss, NC State, Virginia Tech, and Florida State) and got into them all. I even received a very nice offer from Ole Miss to be a graduate assistant and receive enough money to only have to pay $700 a semester. However, I didn't feel comfortable seeing that most of their grads went to Jackson or Memphis. Alabama (dream school), VT, and FSU were all too expensive for me out of state and I didn't receive any scholarship assistance there.

So, I ended up at NC State and couldn't be happier with my decision. The career services here are great. The three women that run that side of things have their **** together and get us opportunities to speak with basically anyone around the country if we really want it. I've interviewed with firms, banks, and industry for jobs (10-12 in total) in Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington, DC, New York, and Connecticut (ranging from Business Advisory to Audit to Financial Analyst at ESPN - I'm not leaving without a job, yo - just no tax). I haven't received an offer yet, but it's still a little soon for that as well. Also at State I've been able to concentrate in Enterprise Risk Management, where I have found my niche interest.

Overall, I'm much happier. The material is more interesting and people don't seem to be out to get you, they genuinely want you to get through the program and to get a job (and pass the CPA). I can't say that for the law school I went to. If you have any other questions let me know, I'll be happy to answer any of them. I'm sure I skipped a major part of the story, but I try to block out my "mistake" and just move on to the future. I know how much it sucks to be in your situation, and I'll do anything to help you out. Just email me - tsmckinn@ncsu.edu.

And to ACTUALLY answer your questions:
1. I don't list it on my resume, and I explain it as a "growing experience" that allowed me to "really examine my values and goals in life." Only 1 Big Four Firm asked about this.
2. Schools didn't ask. (However, I might have explained it in my essays - I'd have to look.)
3. Navigation is fairly easy. Scary easy in fact. I went to the Dean (who wasn't there), and spoke to the Asst. Dean who had me fill out some paperwork and told me to clean out my locker and return my school id. Not a nary email from a professor came to me after that. I only received a few emails from students asking where I was. Even my closest law skewl friends cut me off when I dropped out of law school - you have to be prepared for that, but if they are true friends, they won't cut you off.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
Send PM
I'm not sure about the NE schools but UNC does really well in NC
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum