Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: Paradosso's profile [#permalink]
I was pretty impressed with Kellogg's relatively new Entrepreneurship and Venture capital club. It had some students with good experience and a lot of new programs coming up. There is also a stat where 80% of Kellogg graduates end up starting a company OR working as a founding member of a startup within 5-10 years of graduating.

Kellogg is a good school that you can't go wrong with if you decide to go there. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Excellent suggestions kryzak and steel, thanks. I will surely end up in Kellogg or Hass eventually :)

Steel, the boutique consultancy where I was wonrking got acquired by a consultancy focused on manufacturing and operations, that's basically why I could not pass up the offer of a big 3 though I was thriving there. Plus, I figured out it could be good to me to have experience both in a small environment and in a huge office before my MBA (the office where I'm working now is the biggest in the world for this big 3).

Do you think this could fly with the interviewer or I need to research myself further? (I feel like knowing the answer to this... :)).
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
haha - that'll definitely explain it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Sorry to take over your thread but I have a similar situation

6 months back I was working with one the biggest automobile companies and I moved from automobile to a totally different industry (automation) though I remained in the same function – Global Sourcing. But sourcing and supply chain in automobile is very different from the current industry.

Honestly, the main reason for my move was a raise. But how do I put it in right words. I feel getting too honest with adcoms might be risky…
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
durgesh79 wrote:
Sorry to take over your thread but I have a similar situation

6 months back I was working with one the biggest automobile companies and I moved from automobile to a totally different industry (automation) though I remained in the same function – Global Sourcing. But sourcing and supply chain in automobile is very different from the current industry.

Honestly, the main reason for my move was a raise. But how do I put it in right words. I feel getting too honest with adcoms might be risky…

Durgesh - glad to see other sourcing pros joining the MBA ranks (I was at a supply chain / sourcing boutique consultancy firm for the last three years)

As for a strategy - I would suggest just using the unifying theme of sourcing rather than the firms as your experience - taking anecdotes from your time at each firm to discuss particular strengths of your candidacy. I wouldn't address the switch with anything more than a pasing comment unless it comes up in an interview - where you can talk through it and explain that they provided an interesting opportunity - where you gained x experience - but now want to go back to school to get y and pursue goal z.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [0]
Send PM
thanks steel, i guess i need to cleary define x, y and z and make it strong point....

since you have a background of sourcing, hows an MBA in Fin after experiance in sourcing... this is what i'm targetting...
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
I doubt I will be conventrating in Finance but am certainly looking to boost my know how in it. Its one of the hard skills I am looking to exit my MBA with.

As to feasibility of moving to finance from a sourcing background, I think its a fairly sellable and practical approach. Lots of the soft skills will transfer - negotiating / deal expertise, analyticsl thinking needed to identify opportunities, transaction based thinking, etc. You can easily fit the MBA in to augment areas you want to improve in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford.
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
Plus, I figured out it could be good to me to have experience both in a small environment and in a huge office before my MBA (the office where I'm working now is the biggest in the world for this big 3).

Just curious what the Top 3 is from the European perspective.

None of the Top 3 we hear about in North America has their largest office in Europe.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V45
Send PM
The top 3 in alphabetical order:

- Bain & Company
- Boston Consulting Group
- McKinsey and Company

I can assure you that one of these companies has its largest (since 2005) office in Europe. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Paradosso, I also think you should seriously consider kryzak's suggestion on looking closely at MIT. I think given your long-term goals, MIT may provide you with a better platform to accomplish those goals than will Kellogg.

And I also believe that your background would really add to "engineer friendly" MIT's diversity. And Boston's a tech hub in its own right, much more so I would say than Chicago.
GMAT Club Bot