Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Part-time vs Full-time [#permalink]
old1442 wrote:
noboundary wrote:
Thank you for reading the thread.

My understanding about the two main weakness of part-time MBA is: not possible (or very difficult) to do a summer internship, and no on-campus interview. Therefore the career prospect is not as good as that of full-time.

But....if I have no problem taking 3 months leave to work as a summer intern, will that make a part-time pretty much the same thing as a full-time program? Assume I have equal access to career resources at school. (Kellogg seems to have achieved this, but please correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks again...

if you're a strong candidate, theres no opportunity for scholarships with part time as well. full time has that opportunity and u will also likely be getting paid 2 months (summer internship) out of the 18 month full time program. i think full time, its important to note you'll have a stronger peer group etc. and better relationships going forward. if you'd like better input on ur precise situation, you could provide some background, major stats, and goals. ud get better feedback

Hi old1442,

Thank you for the comments. I am running a firm with my friend, so I am sort of self-employed. This makes me quite flexible in taking time off to do a summer internship. I think the reason that it is more difficult for PT students to switch job is they don't have the time to do a summer intern, and since I do, I guess PT would mean pretty much the same thing to me as FT (excluding other benefit, just based on the possibility of switching job). And I would like to know whether my thinking makes sense, or totally wrong.

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
noboundary wrote:

My understanding about the two main weakness of part-time MBA is: not possible (or very difficult) to do a summer internship, and no on-campus interview. Therefore the career prospect is not as good as that of full-time.

But....if I have no problem taking 3 months leave to work as a summer intern, will that make a part-time pretty much the same thing as a full-time program? Assume I have equal access to career resources at school. (Kellogg seems to have achieved this, but please correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks again...

Yes, it is a very good question and there have been a number of discussions.
The pros of the PT program, is that it is usually easier to get in as there is less competition; it is 3 years as a rule, and better ROI for most since you are not taking 2 years off.

The downside, is that you most likely will have the same job after graduation that you had before enrollment (unless you get a promotion in the process), which is hard to be a good student and a good employee at the same time (esp if you have kids/family).

The PT program usually does not provide as much support in terms of career services and usually does not provide access to companies visiting the campus for interviews. The thinking is that you already have a job and the career fair on campus is designed for those looking for opportunities (afterall, the school is graded based on their placement and employment stats - right?). Also as a FT student you will spend the whole second year working on recruiting and getting a decent job offer. It is a very intense process that a PT student cannot perform just due to sheer lack of time (travel, interviews, research, informational interviews, meetings, networking, etc).

The bottom line is that neither PT or FT programs are the wrong choice. You have to realize that with PT program you have no opportunity cost but there are other trade offs which make it harder for you to switch industries/career tracks.

Good Luck! Do some searches on gmat club for FT vs PT programs - a number of good discussions to highlight from current students and other applicants.

Hi bb,

Thank you for the insights. This is indeed difficult decision. My logic is: a major factor that resulted in a successful full time job offer is by doing a summer intern. So if I have no problem doing a summer-intern (my current company's boss is my best friend) while being a PT student, then I have a pretty good chance of getting a full-time offer. Is my logic correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
noboundary wrote:
old1442 wrote:
noboundary wrote:

Thanks again...

if you're a strong candidate, theres no opportunity for scholarships with part time as well. full time has that opportunity and u will also likely be getting paid 2 months (summer internship) out of the 18 month full time program. i think full time, its important to note you'll have a stronger peer group etc. and better relationships going forward. if you'd like better input on ur precise situation, you could provide some background, major stats, and goals. ud get better feedback

Hi old1442,

Thank you for the comments. I am running a firm with my friend, so I am sort of self-employed. This makes me quite flexible in taking time off to do a summer internship. I think the reason that it is more difficult for PT students to switch job is they don't have the time to do a summer intern, and since I do, I guess PT would mean pretty much the same thing to me as FT (excluding other benefit, just based on the possibility of switching job). And I would like to know whether my thinking makes sense, or totally wrong.

Thanks again.

What are your goals? Where would you intern? I think the majority of traditional employers would not take part-timers for internships. You may want to check. Why would they take a part-timer when they have so many full-timers to choose from. Part-timers are typically less committed to the new firm and already have existing jobs - so why would an employer spend the summer training them and paying them with such a large risk that they a. dont finish the program at the expected time or b. end up back at their previous employer. If you're hoping to change careers or enter a new industry, I think full time is undoubtedly answer. What are you looking to do?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
old1442 wrote:

What are your goals? Where would you intern? I think the majority of traditional employers would not take part-timers for internships. You may want to check. Why would they take a part-timer when they have so many full-timers to choose from. Part-timers are typically less committed to the new firm and already have existing jobs - so why would an employer spend the summer training them and paying them with such a large risk that they a. dont finish the program at the expected time or b. end up back at their previous employer. If you're hoping to change careers or enter a new industry, I think full time is undoubtedly answer. What are you looking to do?

Oh OK, I actually didn't realize PT student would have such an image on potential employers. I thought the main drawback is lack of availability during summer. Thank you for the advice!

I want to do a MBA because I fall in love with the marketing side of business. Instead of taking care of everything, I would like to focus on marketing and just think how to grow the market share. I want to use this MBA to get into big firms' marketing department or do some Development/Rotational Program. This is my goal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
noboundary wrote:
old1442 wrote:

Oh OK, I actually didn't realize PT student would have such an image on potential employers. I thought the main drawback is lack of availability during summer. Thank you for the advice!

I want to do a MBA because I fall in love with the marketing side of business. Instead of taking care of everything, I would like to focus on marketing and just think how to grow the market share. I want to use this MBA to get into big firms' marketing department or do some Development/Rotational Program. This is my goal.

id def call a program like a kellogg part time and find out how they place it if this an area they're strong in.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts