Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing & General Management
Schools:University of Michigan - Ross 2010
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
AWA means nothing to schools anyways...it is pretty much a useless part of the test that just wears you down a little before the real test beings.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it is "near nothing". Not an "absolute nothing". Especially competitive schools with a bunch of 700+ applicants may use low (4 and lower) scores as a negative point.

Also, the word has it that because of the increasing use of essay helpers, it serves as a reality check for the applicant's written skills. This is a rumor with no solid proof but has logical merit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, manylander I have heard of that also. But do schools actually read your AWA essays for content/style and compare the style of your b-school application essays; or do they just look at the score and know what level of 'English' maestry they should expect in your essays
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't think they read the essays at all. The score s/b all they need for an extra pice of side information. That said an AWA is of minimal importance unless it is terrible alone or is mediocre and accompanying a stellar GMAT score... The second case is only applicable to schools where a ton of GMAT experts apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, thanks
do you have 780 on the GMAT? that is a great score!
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish I had 780! That is my target score. I took GMAT only once (a month ago) and got 730 -Q47,V44-. Planning on taking it again in a month.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish I had 730 :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
manylander wrote:
I wish I had 780! That is my target score. I took GMAT only once (a month ago) and got 730 -Q47,V44-. Planning on taking it again in a month.

Cheers!

Why bother retaking with a 730. Its not going to add much to your candidacy. 730-750 is a pretty sweet spot to be. If you are planning on applying this year thats a waste of your effort. You will push yourself back to R3 which is far more difficult. If you are in your late 20s the extra year is probably going to weaken it too.

Some people here advocate getting the highest score you can but once you are comfortably above a schools mean and median (you are except maybe for Stanford) it isn't going to do a whole lot for your application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Why bother retaking with a 730. Its not going to add much to your candidacy. 730-750 is a pretty sweet spot to be. If you are planning on applying this year thats a waste of your effort. You will push yourself back to R3 which is far more difficult. If you are in your late 20s the extra year is probably going to weaken it too.

Some people here advocate getting the highest score you can but once you are comfortably above a schools mean and median (you are except maybe for Stanford) it isn't going to do a whole lot for your application.

How bad does this late 20s thing affect one's application?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would much rather apply at 28 or 29 than 30...just having that 30 on there is like a mental thing. Its like having a 690 vs a 700. There is no real difference but which do you think the adcoms like better?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agree with you. I just got worried. I'm 28 right now. I think I'll be applying for fall '09. I'll be 29 when I submit my app and 30 a couple months before the program starts. I should be fine, right?

(please say yes, lol)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ya thats still right around the middle. It wont say 30 on your application anywhere so that wont have the stigma.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
If I get in Tuck this year I will start classes on my 25th birthday :) Is it really bad to have age:24 all over your applications?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darden2010 wrote:
If I get in Tuck this year I will start classes on my 25th birthday :) Is it really bad to have age:24 all over your applications?

Depends on the school. Some prefer younger and some prefer older. Tuck is an older school but that is probably a factor of its location and being considered a very family friendly place. During my visit out of the dozen or so people there I think only two were single, a fair portion had kids too. These people felt tuck was the best fit for them, young and single folks typically want a more exciting place to live like Boston, Chicago, NYC, London...not the woods of new hampshire.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hmmm... the school profile says 31% married, comared with Ross (my second choice) where married is 22%. The average age of both schools is 28. I think Tuck is family friendly, but also the partners of married students cannot find employment in Hanover (because of its size) so it makes sense that being in out there in the middle of nowhere has its pluses and it minuses for family people. But do you think the school itself prefers older aplicants, or is it that older aplicants apply there more?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darden2010 wrote:
hmmm... the school profile says 31% married, comared with Ross (my second choice) where married is 22%. The average age of both schools is 28. I think Tuck is family friendly, but also the partners of married students cannot find employment in Hanover (because of its size) so it makes sense that being in out there in the middle of nowhere has its pluses and it minuses for family people. But do you think the school itself prefers older aplicants, or is it that older aplicants apply there more?

Tuck specifically wants people with a little experience under their belts, ie, more than a couple of years out of college. I'm not saying a younger applicant with an extraordinary story couldn't get in, but I do know the admissions people believe that older students get more out of and contribute more to the program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
ok, well I am young and I am applying R2 with an average GMAT.
Sounds like I should give up!
But I am not going to, I have done many impossible things in my life and an admit letter from Tuck is the next impossible thing on my list :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts