Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Phd in International Strategic Management (Please Advise)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Phd in International Strategic Management (Please Advise) [#permalink] New post 30 May 2007, 20:46
Hi. I am new to this forum and this is my first posting. I'm considering applying to several phd programs in international management next year and would like everyone's advice on my chances of gaining admission as well as suitable programs.

A little about my background... I am 26 and currently doing my MBA in management at the same US university (Ivy League) that I did my BA (Economics and International Relations). My grades are not so great (BA: 3.13 and MBA: 3.3 {3.7 in my management concentration}) but the MBA is a top 3 program so I am hoping that may play a positive factor. Also, my extremely low grades were in 2 biology courses, an art class, and music class so my gpa does up almost 0.3 if those grades are excluded. Other things include a GMAT score of 750 (perfect quant score) and I've done over 6 months of research (data mining and some empirical analysis) with a professor while in the MBA Program. Instead of interning this summer, I'll be continuing this research while preparing my SOP. (I had some mixed feelings when passing up internship offers but in the end I think that I made the right choice). I also have 3 plus years of experience in strategic consulting both in New York and abroad. As for recommendations, I believe that I will be able to get three good ones from faculty members as well as one from work (I did a research project for a national government and my final report was published).

So, I would be extremely thankful if some members could comment on my prospects as well as suggestions on schools, especially safety schools. I noticed that everyone on this forum tends to be positive but I wouldn't mind constructive feedback as well (as long as it's put nicely :wink: ). Thanks in advance for your help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 06:14
Also, I am interested in Oxford's DPhil in Management. Anyone know the admissions statistics (GPA, GMAT)? for this program? Once again, any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 07:10
Hi phd2008 - welcome to the club.

My take on your profile. Your GMAT is cleared. Your GPA are relatively low. However, given that you are from what I think is a top school, that would help to offset the impact. Nevertheless, you should try to pull up your MBA GPA, if that is still possible.

One thing to hype about in your SOP would be in your research experience. Do well in it and make sure that you get strong reco from the prof that you are working with. Also, you should consider highlighting the fact that you passed up the internship for the research work during your MBA - this indicates your passion and interest in research.

Also, if you have already shortlisted some schools to apply to, see if you can contact the profs there through your profs in your current school. Sometime, it is amazing where your network can bring you.
Intern
Intern

anyone else please? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 15:35
Hey everyone,

Tkkoh, thanks for your posting and answering my questions. I found our correspondences quite helpful.

I was hoping to hear back from a few more people regarding my prospects, especially from those who have gained acceptances. I'm starting to worry that my qualifications are too low that all hope is lost for me. Please share me with me your thoughts. I would really appreciate any insights or suggestions.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 20:55
Your qualifications seem very good, except for the undergrad gpa. MBA gpa I wouldn't worry about so much. 3.1 is low, particularly in light of some of the top schools your other stats (gmat, research exp, recs, ivy) are on track for. How did you do on your quant classes, such as your econ classes?
Intern
Intern

Thanks Bauble [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2007, 09:18
Thanks Bauble for your post as well.

My quant scores are mixed. I got A's in my Calculus and Statistics Classes. My econ grades are in the B+ range. I got a few C's in Biology and Art and that's what is really hurting my GPA. At the MBA level, I got A's in my statistics class as well as my management classes. I am hoping that they will take into some consideration that I attended an Ivy and spent significant time in my MBA program doing research.
Thanks Bauble   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2007, 09:18