Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Planning for MBA in Fall 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 12:53
Also, I have a qq on by when one should get started on applying to enroll into 2011 batch..
How many batches exists to enroll into 2011 batches (like Spring/Fall etc)
Please share Any pointers to this query ?

- Thank you
Mans!

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 13:08
Mansi wrote:
Also, I have a qq on by when one should get started on applying to enroll into 2011 batch..
How many batches exists to enroll into 2011 batches (like Spring/Fall etc)
Please share Any pointers to this query ?

This is a school specific type of question. I don't know what schools you are interested in but I'd check out the US Schools and International Schools forums. There are individual threads that detail the application deadlines etc. These are great resources to start planning a strategy for applying.
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 13:48
I am hanging in there perseverance. I feel like I am actually improving in verbal as I practice more and more. As for quant I feel like I am a little stuck at a certain level. Not sure what I can do to drastically increase given my exam is on the 23. I am really hoping for some good snow tonight such that I can all in to work tomorrow and say I am stuck at home. That'd finally allow me to take my second Gmatprep to help me gauge where I stand. Have you taken it yet?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 13:54
ThomasD wrote:
I am hanging in there perseverance. I feel like I am actually improving in verbal as I practice more and more. As for quant I feel like I am a little stuck at a certain level. Not sure what I can do to drastically increase given my exam is on the 23. I am really hoping for some good snow tonight such that I can all in to work tomorrow and say I am stuck at home. That'd finally allow me to take my second Gmatprep to help me gauge where I stand. Have you taken it yet?

Seems like we're on the same track. I'm also improving well in Verbal and seem to be stuck at a certain quant level. Pretty frustrating. I'm hoping for some good snow tomorrow night so I can call in to work on Wed. Nope, I haven't taken it yet. Plan is to take it on Saturday (or possibly Wed if there's a good amount of snow). Then the real thing is next Thursday, the 18th.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 16:53
Hey guys,
I'm new to this thread, but sounds like a great place to keep my motivation up while chatting w/ you guys on your progression...

I'm planning to take my first exam late June... I'm spending this next month fully dedicated to GMAT (but I have to start on my CFA studies early March for the early June exam)... that leaves me w/ about 2 solid months of studying. I plan to save July and Aug for 2 more exams in case I needed to retake them.

In the meantime, from now to Aug, I'll also be researching schools and brainstorming ideas for my "narrative" on the essays... How are you guys going about things from now till, say, June?

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Intern
Intern

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 17:21
Thanks Perseverance .. I am basically looking for US and majorly bay area.. that said it streamlines to Stanford... no harm in aiming high,. But open to any other top notches in US.
I will try on browsing more specific links..
Please let me know if you any relevant details handy..

- Thank you
Mans!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 17:45
A great thread. I am with you guys on the Fall 2011 application process.

Just a question to everyone, are ppl studying a month for math completely then a month for verbal next? Or do you guys studying with alternative verbal/math within the month?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 18:03
I'm doing about 1-2 weeks verbal, then back to math for 1-2 weeks... will rinse and repeat...

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 18:27
adalfu wrote:
I'm doing about 1-2 weeks verbal, then back to math for 1-2 weeks... will rinse and repeat...

I've employed the same technique pretty much. I wouldn't do a month of math and then a month of verbal. You're likely to burn out and you might forget some of what you learn after a month of not preparing. Just my 2 cents. It's best to try a few options and see what works best for you.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 21:35
lonewolf wrote:
A great thread. I am with you guys on the Fall 2011 application process.

Just a question to everyone, are ppl studying a month for math completely then a month for verbal next? Or do you guys studying with alternative verbal/math within the month?

i'll try my best to do both at the same time...of course i'll do more of what i'm weak at...
Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 13:31
I would suggest doing a mix as well, I seem to retain concepts better when I study some math then some verbal and then back to math etc. Otherwise I tend to get overwhelmed and not remember.

Something I think is useful when you are still early on and use MGMAT books, plus some other book (Kaplan or the like), and the OG, do not do what MGMAT tells you to do: I would not go straight from finishing an MGMAT book chapter to solving the problems they suggest in the OG. Do their end of chapter problems and then find appropriate questions in the Kaplan book and apply/hone your skills there. Here is my reasoning: I want to tackle the OG last as a 'true' test to see if I really took the concepts to heart. Now to train and master the concepts, non-official questions should be sufficient. It will allow you to really test your grasp of the techniques on questions that came from the actual test in the OG.

any snow perseverance? i got my 4-5inches and called in for a Snow Day :-D 720 on the practice its a morale booster

Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 13:41
ThomasD wrote:
any snow perseverance? i got my 4-5inches and called in for a Snow Day :-D 720 on the practice its a morale booster

We're supposed to get up to a foot starting in a few hours lasting until the morning so I'm hoping that forecast is right. :twisted: Congrats on the practice test score! Was that GMATPrep2? What was your breakdown?
Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 14:45
yeah Gmatprep2, Q47V42. I'll now have to go dig through the forum to find out what you have to do take the test again but with mostly different questions. There is a way, I have read it on here somewhere before...

Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 19:43
ThomasD wrote:
yeah Gmatprep2, Q47V42. I'll now have to go dig through the forum to find out what you have to do take the test again but with mostly different questions. There is a way, I have read it on here somewhere before...

I think I remember reading you had to uninstall and reinstall the program. Not exactly positive if that does it. Let me know if you figure it out.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Merage
Schools: University of California Irvine (Merage) - Class of 2013
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 12:03
Hi everybody, first post here.

Career-switchin from logistics to marketing strategy/marketing research. Need a 700 for my schools and I'm freakin out.

Planning on taking GMAT mid-summer. Not gonna lie I'm a little frightened for the quant portion. The rest I can pull off...

Just pulled the trigger and bought all 8 MGMAT Guides, plus OG 12, and OG 12 Quant.

After the LA marathon on march 21, the mental marathon begins! :?

Best of luck-
Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 07:43
Hey all,
Figured I'd update everyone on my progress since my test is in 2 days. I've pretty much wrapped up my studying. Finished what I wanted to in the OG and I'm going to glance at the MGMAT Number Properties book again for a little while tonight. As far as pratice CATs go, I took GMAT Prep 2 on saturday and got a 680 (Q44 V38). Both quant and verbal were disappointing. Also, yesterday I took just the Quant portion of Knewton's diagnostic and got a Q40 with 9 incorrect. I've read that their algorithm could be screwed up so I'm not taking that score to heart. Honestly, I feel confident but I feel like the real test is a shot in the dark. I feel like I'm teetering on the 700 score. Although I wouldn't be surprised if I got a 650. So who knows...
Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 08:05
Man I got faith in you Perseverance! Keep the spirits up high. I think flipping through the Number Properties book is a good idea as I personally feel out of all the study materials I had that was the one that taught me the most new concepts and tricks. Take it easy on your last day and do not get discouraged. Good Luck on Thursday!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 22:55
perseverance wrote:
adalfu wrote:

I've employed the same technique pretty much. I wouldn't do a month of math and then a month of verbal. You're likely to burn out and you might forget some of what you learn after a month of not preparing. Just my 2 cents. It's best to try a few options and see what works best for you.

i agree. and plan on doing this too.

the numbering on the books throw me off, though. any specific reason why the mgmat books numbered the way they are?
Current Student

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 13:49
Hey all,
Finally done with the GMAT. Wrote a debrief if anyone is interested:
700-q48-v38-finally-done-with-the-beast-90544.html

See you all on the MBA Admissions forums!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 16:54
Congratulations Perseverance! Did you start any b school specific stuff?
Re: Planning for MBA in Fall 2011   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2010, 16:54