Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Analyze my AWA Analysis of an Issue

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, INSEAD, Kellogs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please Analyze my AWA Analysis of an Issue [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 12:20
Topic: “In some countries, television and radio programs are carefully censored for offensive language and behavior. In
other countries, there is little or no censorship.”
In your view, to what extent should government or any other group be able to censor television or radio programs?
Explain, giving relevant reasons and/or examples to support your position

Some people think that television and radio programs should be carefully censored for offensive language and behaviour while others think that people should be given freedom of speach and behaviour. This issue is a controversial one but a closer examination reveals that the it is true that the government or a dedicated group should monitor and censor offensive language and behaviour.

One reason is that, it is scientifically proven that people tend to mimic the language and behavior they tend to see in their day-to-day lives. For example, many-a-times it is observed that people tend to inculcate the same language and behaviour their family members have, and therfore, most of the people who hear offensive language at their home tend to exhibit the same in their day-to-day language and behaviour.

Another reason is that offensive language and behaviour is a social evil which may spoil the people in general and the complete society in particular. This kind of behavior generally spreads very quickly from person to person.Clearly, it is for this reason that movies containing violance, offensive language and obscene behaviour are generally censored in many countries, with a purview of preventing it's citizens from indulging in such acts. Therefore, it is evident from the above example that if such behaviour is not prevented it will degrade the social relationship amongst people and will tear off the social fabric that holds a society togather.

Some people might believe that censoring offensive langauge and behaviour would curb a person's right to freedom of speech and behaviour, but since, it's usage would cause a hazardous effect on the society rather than on any individual, putting curbs on offensive langauge and behaviour is indeed necessary and gains superiority over an individual's right to freedom of speech and expression.

In summary, while there are points to be made for both sides of the issue, the fact that offensive language and behaviour should be censored by some goverment or independent governing body takes precedence over the right of free speech and expression. Hence, that goverment should censor language and behaviour which seems to be offensive and thus improve the social status of the country.
Please Analyze my AWA Analysis of an Issue   [#permalink] 09 May 2010, 12:20