Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 12:08
Hello Admissionado,

I would like to hear about my chances for the following schools: Emory (minimum and I hope at least I could get admitted here with a potential scholarship) and would it be worthy to apply to CBS, Wharton and Sloan. I plan on applying this fall in the first round.

I am 24 years old, white, eastern orthodox and from Serbia.

I graduated in US at a private liberal arts college (nothing fancy) with a 3.6 GPA (3.7 in finance) and a minor in accounting.

Extra curricular activities:

athletics - a lot of success in college and on international competition (nationals, Junior Worlds medal, European Championship for students medal). Received an almost full athletic scholarship. I was also a team captain in my Senior year.

student government - for two years represented the business school and for two years served as a chair of the budget and finance committee and I received an award for the best committee chair of the year in the student government.

other ECs - completed two years in leadership training program, got a national excellence in leadership award (maybe not as fancy as it sounds), did some volunteering as big brother, volunteered a little for the second harvest food bank.

awards - cum laude, dean's list (two), scholar-athlete awards (three)

honor societies - college's service honor society, student athlete honor society, honor society for leadership and success

work experience - perhaps my greatest weakness: I work as an accountant for 12 months at a company in Serbia that exports-imports (trades abraod). The unemployment is skyrocketing in Serbia, I could not get something that I hoped but at least I got this.

GMAT - studying for a while and is going very well. my goal is around 730 but I would not be surprised if I scored higher. Minimum would be 710.

goal: get an mba in finance, obtain experience in the US and after several years return back to use and share the knowledge.

Couple questions - Because of my work experience, would it be smart to ask a professor to write one of the two recommendation for me because she knows me well and has already written a nice one for me on LinkedIn?
How much is my type of experience going to hurt me, especially at Emory?

I greatly appreciate your time and effort, sir!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 01:30
Expert's post
Actually your profile is excellent. Except for, as you pointed out your work experience. But not so much because its small import export company in Serbia, but rather because you have only worked one year. I would suggest that you NOT apply now. Your chances will be minimal of getting in this year with so little work experience, and you will be shooting yourself in the foot, and wasting a lot of time and energy.

My guess is that you want to get out as fast as possible so you can move on up, and SOON. And I totally dig that. But you aren't gonna help yourself too much by rushing things. And it would be a shame, because with your athletic experience, your grades, your involvement at college, you have what it takes to make it into a school like Columbia, Wharton, Sloan.

So, If I were you I'd continue to knock that GMAT out of the way, and buckle down and work for another year or two (or perhaps seek to change jobs if possible) and THEN apply.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 04:15
Thanks for the heads-up, your info is greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that I speak four European languages, if that makes any difference.

I think I will give it a shot this fall, knowing the risk you mentioned. I hope that my stories in the essays could make a difference and perhaps explain the reason for such a rush.

What do you think of my chances at Emory this fall, given the circumstances? From what I see, the average experience is five years for the admitted students at Emory. That is definitely discouraging for me but I would like to have an idea.

Once again, thanks.