Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Said (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 03:12
Here is my brief profile:

Education: Moscow State University of International Relations, studied international economic relations (Top 3 University in Russia), GPA 4,0 (top 10 students in the university)
graduated with honors, awarded Dean's scholarship

GMAT: 750 (Q50 V 40), TOEFL 109

Work experience:self employed as an English language and mathematics tutor - 1 year (while a student)
KPMG (audit) - 1/2 year (while a student)
family business (approx. 15 employees) - 1 year (lots of leadership experience + dealing with customers, clients, logistics, etc)
Government job (Ukraine) - 1.5 years (work with international economic organizations, manage a technical assistance project (jointly with the
local United Nations office) with a budget of more than 0.5 mln USD (hire scientists to conduct research, organize conferences and seminars, organize visits of foreign experts to Ukraine, lead work on translation of Ukraine's foreign trade legislature into English), member of an intergovernmental working party, lead work on trade facilitation with the country's business cycles, participate in negotiations on creation of Free Trade agreements with other countries ). Have other achievements at work, recently promoted.

Extracurricular activities: a lot. Swimming (first-class degree, participated in international competitions); head of the debate club at the university, have supported the club after graduation, convener and organizer of multiple international debating competitions hosted by my university, represented the university in debating championships in Europe; editor-in-chief of the University's newspaper; now help an animal shelter at home, do community work, etc

Post-MBA goal: finance-asset management (ideally in the US)

Also, i have obtained some of my work experience while being a student, and I'm not sure whether schools will count it as full-time experience (although I worked full-time). I have 16 months of full-time work experience after graduation by now, so it's gonna be 27 months when classes start (hope it happens).

I'm highly motivated to apply for an MBA program, but I am not sure how b-schools may perceive my work experience and what schools should I target. Now considering the following schools: Booth/Wharton/Stanford/Columbia/Yale (Category 1), Category2: Ross/Cornell/Olin/Emory/Kenan-Flagler (Category 2).

Thank you in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 04:37
Expert's post
With a well crafted application package, your story should be very sellable to your target schools. Frankly, your nationality is under-represented at most schools, so you automatically bring a perspective that would be perceived as advantageous to most schools. Coupled with your academic record and GMAT, you should have an easy time convincing the adcoms you will add value. Of course you will need to pull everything together into a compelling and articulate narrative in your essays, but assuming you will do this, I think you will have a shot at any and all of your target schools. One thing to consider is Visa issues, however, since US schools are getting more and more focused on grads getting jobs on the backed. If there are any problems with working in the US, schools will sometimes shy away. Let us know if we can be more helpful as you prepare your applications.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews