Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile... GMAT 620

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Stephen M. Ross School of Business - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Please evaluate my profile... GMAT 620 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 07:41
Hi Paul,
I’m glad to have found this forum.
Ill appreciate any suggestions on my choice of universities with the kind of profile I have.

GMAT: 620 (Q-44, V-31, AWA-4.0)
Job Exp: 3.5 yrs (leading Russian Investment Bank with represented in US, Japan etc)
GPA: 3.8
PhD (political science)
Russian Male, 27yrs
Extra Curricular:
1. Trainings for colleagues (creation, holding) in Moscow (city of my firm location) + several cities all over the country.
2. Trainings for clients (creation, holding)
3. Participated in creation of internal "Standards of Financial consulting"
And many more
Awards received:
1. the most effective employee of the quarter (3 times)
2. the most active employee of the quarter
And many more

My industry experience is Financial consulting/ Private Banking for about 3 yrs in leading Russian investment bank represented also in US, Japan.

I intend to pursue my MBA in Consultancy. I am planning to send my MBA application packets latest by Dec 20 to the following univs:
UNC
University of Texas at Austin: McCombs
Indiana University: Kelley

Do you think I stand a chance, or it will be better for me to retake GMAT and try to apply in round 3 for:
NYU Stern
Duke
Yale

Thanks,
Nikolay
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please evaluate my profile... GMAT 620 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 08:49
Expert's post
Nikolay,

Thanks for reaching out. First, let me say that your choices are not mutually exclusive, meaning that you can apply to Texas/UNC/Kelley for round two and then NYU/Yale/Duke for round three if you want to.

What is interesting is that the timing of both approaches makes more sense. It's probably not going to be productive to apply to Yale and NYU with your 620 (Duke is more of a possibility, but barely), so waiting to get the right score makes sense - and these aren't schools that are going to wonder about your interest if you wait. Know that there are going to be fewer spots in the class for Rd 3, but it's worth it to boost your score.

As for the other slate of schools, I think you are going to be an interesting enough candidate that you can be competitive now ... in fact, waiting until Rd 3 is going to introduce questions of interest. They might think you are just throwing safety school darts at the end of the process. It's going to take really well crafted essays to showcase your intellect and other key themes, while also hammering fit with these programs, but that's certainly something we can help you with.

My advice is to apply both Rd 2 and Rd 3, and I would consider Tepper instead of UNC and if you get your GMAT up, I would consider Booth over Duke.

PM me if you want to get into this a bit more with an initial consultation.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton