Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2009, 22:44
hi friends,
I have given GMAT last week and scored 710 and AWA score is 4.5.
I am a software engg in a very reputed MNC and have a workex of 3 yrs.I have shortlisted some B schools where the application deadlines are still open.I am interested in joining a B school this year .
Carnegie Mellon(Tepper)
Ohio State University(Fisher)
University of Rochester (Simon)
IESE(International Graduate School Of management)
IMD(International institute Of Management Development)
INSEAD
Indian School of Business (ISB)
London Business School
Oxford (Said)
Rotterdam School of Management (Erasmus)

r there any other good B schools which suit my profile and where the applications are still open.please friends help me..i m completely lost and need ur valuable sugesstions
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2009, 04:36
friends please reply soon...i need help..urgently..
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2009, 05:32
Without knowledge of your future goals, we can't really tell you whether applying to those schools is a good idea. It's entirely possible that none of the schools will help you achieve your professional goals, depending on what they are. That being said, all the schools on your list are ranked similarly, with IMD, INSEAD, and LBS the most competitive, and Ohio State and Rochester the easiest (relatively speaking) to get into.

Also, a 710 won't get you in or keep you out of any of the schools on your list. It's only one of the many hurdles of b-school admission, which you will find many stories about across this forum.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2009, 09:13
Hi Urpal,

I would add that IMD is almost unrealistic because of their high selectivity and preference for more experienced people. Oxford Said seems to have already admitted a very large number of people from your demographics and so it's most probably too late to apply there.
LBS and INSEAD usually prefer applicants with some nice pedigree in their profiles - see for yourself if you have it. Schools such as RSM are too tied to the local market, which may not be suitable for all people.

And, honestly, with the approach 'I'd like to get somewhere no matter where' - sorry, but your list does not show that your goals are well-defined - chances to get an admit in later rounds are not very good, even at so-called second-tier schools. So the first thing I'd advised you to do is to clarify your goals, as msday has suggested.
Intern
Intern

Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 06:08
hi pal,
thanks a lot for the reply.I am currently working as a software engg.i m looking forward to change my field and do my management from an esteemed institute so that i hav good job prospects after that.As u said the following colleges are not best suited for my profile..can u plz guide me about the colleges which can go with my profile and admission there will not be a long shot..thnks in advance
Current Student

Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 11:30
Hi Urpal,

This is not the year to apply to business school just because you want to. If you have not started already, I would suggest waiting as doing the essays and needed prep work (recommendations, visits etc.) is time consuming and takes some thought. Furthermore, if you are located outside of the states (I am not sure of this) and want to come here to study you really need to look at the student lender markets right now. A lot of internationals are turning down stateside offers because they cannot raise the funding as many lenders are now requiring a stateside co-signor. My advice is take your time, develop a story and apply 1st or 2nd round next year.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2009, 18:44
Hi urpal, as has been mentioned earlier, b-school admissions are not simply a matter of knocking out a GMAT score, writing some quick essays to lots and lots of schools and waiting for the admits to roll in. It requires a lot of thought and foresight about what exactly you want to focus on (marketing, finance, operations, strategy to name a few - schools often have strengths in different areas). Then you need to think about where you want to work post bschool (for instance european schools will give you a much better opportunity with european jobs and vice versa for American schools).

So my advice is to think carefully about your aims (as mentioned by msday and greenoak earlier), and then ask us this question again with more specific details.
Re: please help me in shortlisting B schools acc.to my profile   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2009, 18:44