Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16656 [40]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619066 [28]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of [#permalink]
Kudos
First, recall that in a right triangle, the two shorter sides intersect at the right angle. Therefore, one of these sides can be viewed as the base, and the other as the height. Consequently, the area of a right triangle can be expressed as one half of the product of the two shorter sides (i.e., the same as one half of the product of the height times the base). Also, since AB is the hypotenuse of triangle ABC, we know that the two shorter sides are BC and AC and the area of triangle ABC = (BC × AC)/2. Following the same logic, the area of triangle KLM = (LM × KM)/2.

Also, the area of ABC is 4 times greater than the area of KLM:
(BC × AC)/2 = 4(LM × KM)/2
BC × AC = 4(LM × KM)

(1) SUFFICIENT: Since angle ABC is equal to angle KLM, and since both triangles have a right angle, we can conclude that the angles of triangle ABC are equal to the angles of triangle KLM, respectively (note that the third angle in each triangle will be equal to 35 degrees, i.e., 180 – 90 – 55 = 35). Therefore, we can conclude that triangles ABC and KLM are similar. Consequently, the respective sides of these triangles will be proportional, i.e. AB/KL = BC/LM = AC/KM = x, where x is the coefficient of proportionality (e.g., if AB is twice as long as KL, then AB/KL = 2 and for every side in triangle KLM, you could multiply that side by 2 to get the corresponding side in triangle ABC).

We also know from the problem stem that the area of ABC is 4 times greater than the area of KLM, yielding BC × AC = 4(LM × KM), as discussed above.

Knowing that BC/LM = AC/KM = x, we can solve the above expression for the coefficient of proportionality, x, by plugging in BC= x(LM) and AC = x(KM):
BC × AC = 4(LM × KM)
x(LM) × x(KM) = 4(LM × KM)
x2 = 4
x = 2 (since the coefficient of proportionality cannot be negative)

Thus, we know that AB/KL = BC/LM = AC/KM = 2. Therefore, AB = 2KL = 2(10) = 20

(2) INSUFFICIENT: This statement tells us the length of one of the shorter sides of the triangle KLM. We can compute all the sides of this triangle (note that this is a 6-8-10 triangle) and find its area (i.e., (0.5)(6)(8) = 24); finally, we can also calculate that the area of the triangle ABC is equal to 96 (four times the area of KLM). We determined in the first paragraph of the explanation, above, that the area of ABC = (BC × AC)/2. Therefore: 96 = (BC × AC)/2 and 192 = BC × AC. We also know the Pythagorean theorem: (BC)2 + (AC)2= (AB)2. But there is no way to convert BC × AC into (BC)2 + (AC)2 so we cannot determine the hypotenuse of triangle ABC.
The correct answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of the right triangle KLM. If the hypotenuse KL is 10 inches, what is the length of the hypotenuse AB?

(1) Angles ABC and KLM are each equal to 55 degrees.
(2) LM is 6 inches.

Below are the properties of similar triangles you might find useful for the GMAT and the solution which calculates the actual value of AB.

Properties of Similar Triangles:

• Corresponding angles are the same.
Corresponding sides are all in the same proportion.
• It is only necessary to determine that two sets of angles are identical in order to conclude that two triangles are similar; the third set will be identical because all of the angles of a triangle always sum to 180º.
• If two similar triangles have sides in the ratio \(\frac{x}{y}\), then their areas are in the ratio \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}\).
OR in another way: in two similar triangles, the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides: \(\frac{AREA}{area}=\frac{SIDE^2}{side^2}\).

Back to original question:
Attachment:
KLM Triangle.GIF
The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of the right triangle KLM. If the hypotenuse KL is 10 inches, what is the length of the hypotenuse AB?

(1) Angles ABC and KLM are each equal to 55 degrees --> ABC and KLM are similar triangles --> \(\frac{AREA_{ABC}}{area_{KLM}}=\frac{4}{1}\), so the sides are in ratio 2/1 --> hypotenuse KL=10 --> hypotenuse AB=2*10=20. Sufficient.

(2) LM is 6 inches --> KM=8 --> \(area_{KLM}=24\) --> \(AREA_{ABC}=96\). But just knowing the are of ABC is not enough to determine hypotenuse AB. For instance: legs of ABC can be 96 and 2 OR 48 and 4 and you'll get different values for hypotenuse. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel
i have a doubt in this question as it says ...The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of the right triangle KLM. so it implies that area ABC = 5* area of KLM

or the sentence should be 4 times of area of KLM

I want to clear this "greater than " dilemma :!:

Nidhi
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
OprBarbosa2017 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(2) LM is 6 inches.

Below are the properties of similar triangles you might find useful for the GMAT and the solution which calculates the actual value of AB.

• It is only necessary to determine that two sets of angles are identical in order to conclude that two triangles are similar; the third set will be identical because all of the angles of a triangle always sum to 180º.
• If two similar triangles have sides in the ratio \(\frac{x}{y}\), then their areas are in the ratio \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}\).
OR in another way: in two similar triangles, the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides: \(\frac{AREA}{area}=\frac{SIDE^2}{side^2}\).

Attachment:
KLM Triangle.GIF

(1) Angles ABC and KLM are each equal to 55 degrees --> ABC and KLM are similar triangles --> \(\frac{AREA_{ABC}}{area_{KLM}}=\frac{4}{1}\), so the sides are in ratio 2/1 --> hypotenuse KL=10 --> hypotenuse AB=2*10=20. Sufficient.

(2) LM is 6 inches --> KM=8 --> \(area_{KLM}=24\) --> \(AREA_{ABC}=96\). But just knowing the are of ABC is not enough to determine hypotenuse AB. For instance: legs of ABC can be 96 and 2 OR 48 and 4 and you'll get different values for hypotenuse. Not sufficient.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel
i have a doubt in this question as it says ...The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of the right triangle KLM. so it implies that area ABC = 5* area of KLM

Nidhi

VeritasKarishma Bunuel , i have a similar doubt as Nidhi. Could you please help?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aviral1995 wrote:

Hi Bunuel

VeritasKarishma Bunuel , i have a similar doubt as Nidhi. Could you please help?

Yes, the answer to this isn't as straight forward as you would expect!

A is 10% greater than B obviously means A = B + 10% of B.
A is 10 times B again obviously means A = 10*B
Mathematically, A is 10 times greater than B "should" mean A = 10B + B BUT we use it to mean 10B so frequently in colloquial language that it has come to mean 10B.
Hence, if faced with this question in the actual exam, I will say that "A is 10 times greater than B" means A = 10B.
Though hopefully, official questions will use clearer language - A is 10 times B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In a DS question on Geometry, do not make any assumptions and try to see if you can obtain a unique diagram. If you overlook any of these two rules, you may end up falling for the trap answer.

For example, in this question, although the triangles look like Right triangles, I’d only decide after reading the first sentence. Had the first sentence not mentioned that the triangle is a right triangle, we cannot assume that they are right angled triangles, just because they look like.
‘Looks-like’ has been the undoing on Geometry questions for a lot of students.

Also, I know that angles C and M are right angles in the respective triangles, only after I read the second statement in the question. Till this stage, I will not assume that C and M are right angles.

From the question statements, we know that,

Area of triangle ABC = 4 * Area of triangle KLM. Now, does this mean that triangles ABC and KLM are similar?? If you said yes, you have fallen for the trap. The answer is “Not necessarily”.

Hypotenuses of the respective right triangles are AB and KL, hence the right angles are at C and M respectively.

When you have 2 triangles with one set of angles equal, you should think of proving the triangles similar by finding another set of equal angles. Once this is done, you will be able to use the properties of similar triangles to solve the question.

Statement I alone says that angles ABC and KLM are equal. We now have the second set of angles that we were looking for. We can now say that the triangles ABC and KLM are similar. Therefore,

\(\frac{Area of triangle ABC }{ Area of triangle KLM}\) = \(\frac{{AB^2}}{{KL}}\). Since we know the ratio of the areas of the triangles and also KL, we can find out the length of AB from this data.
Statement I alone is sufficient. Possible answer options are A or D. Answer options B, C and E can be eliminated.

Statement II alone says that LM is 6 inches. This can only help us determine the other side of the triangle i.e. KM = 8 inches. We may also be able to establish the area of triangle KLM and hence the area of triangle ABC.
However, this is all we can do. We do not have any other link between the two triangles in terms of angles so that we could prove them similar. Hence, we will not be able to find out AB.
Statement II alone is insufficient. Answer option D can be eliminated.

The correct answer option is A.

Note that the question statement mentions '4 times greater than'; technically, this should mean ' Area of triangle ABC = 5* Area of triangle KLM'.

However, when we tie in this information with the other data like the lengths of the hypotenuse and the areas, we see that 'Area of triangle ABC = 4* Area of triangle KLM' makes more sense since we get Area of triangle KLM = 24 sq.units and Area of triangle ABC = 96 sq.units when we solve using statement I alone.

Hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(2) LM is 6 inches.

Attachment:
KLM Triangle.GIF

Hope it helps.

Bunuel

Regarding st1. We are only given 1 angle though? How do we know if the triangles are similar if we're only given 55? Or is it implicit given that the area of the larger triangle is 4x larger?

The way I thought about it is:

ABC / ABC/4 = 4 = AB^2 /100 --> AB = 20 <-- But this only works if they the triangles are similar.

St1 - ABC = KLM = 55
Confirms similarity I suppose?
Sufficient

St2 - LM = 6
Does nothing to confirm similarity
Insufficient
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619066 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(2) LM is 6 inches.

Hope it helps.

Bunuel

Regarding st1. We are only given 1 angle though? How do we know if the triangles are similar if we're only given 55? Or is it implicit given that the area of the larger triangle is 4x larger?

Notice that the stem says that both triangles are right triangles: "The area of the right triangle ABC is 4 times greater than the area of the right triangle KLM..." (1) says that angles ABC and KLM are each equal to 55 degrees. So, two angles are equal in ABC and KLM. Since the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees, then all three angles must be equal in ABC and KLM, which means that they are similar triangles.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts