Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [28]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [2]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Economist Reading Comprehension Challenge #2 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Rachit,

Thanks for participating! Choice A is a trap answer in that it somewhat goes along with the text, and seems believable, but drifts incorrect by being too strong. It's true that some Economists use standard models but it is too far to say that these economists believe that a MAJORITY of people behave in ways that can be predicted by standard models. If "majority" had been switched with "some" then I think you might have a case. But as is, choice A is too strong. If you still feel that choice A is the correct answer, try to find evidence in the passage that supports it. I don't think that you will find anything that you can quote from the passage to support it. Follow up with any questions!

Happy Studies,

A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

Here is the explanation for question #2.

Happy Studies,

HG.

According to the passage it could be reasonably inferred that some economists:

A. believe that a majority of people behave in ways that can be predicted by standard models
It is tempting to choose this but this isn't stated anywhere in the passage. Just because some economists use the standard models does not mean that these economists believe that a majority of people behave in ways that can be predicted by standard models

B. believe that some exceptions to the standard models of economics can be explained by theories developed in fields outside of economics
The whole article supports this idea but especially paragraph 1 (He wants economists to accept that evidence from other disciplines does not just explain those bits of behaviour that do not fit the standard models.), paragraph 3, and paragraph 5.

C. use only real people as the basis for their economic models
this isn't stated in the passage

D. incorrectly apply the standard economic models to predict the behavior of real people
There is no discussion of how the standard economic models are applied

E. would benefit by drawing information from various competing fields of economics
The article talks about benefit from other scientific fields but not other fields of economics

Hi HG,

I donot understand how Daniel McFadden's optinion can be generalised for some economists.

Regards
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi HG,

I donot understand how Daniel McFadden's optinion can be generalised for some economists.

Regards

Hi there,

Daniel McFadden is "some economists". It's not that we are saying because Daniel McFadden believes something that other economists also believe that thing. Not at all. Daniel McFadden is an economist and believes this so some economists believe this because he is a part of that group. Hope that is helpful to you.

Happy Studies,

A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
AtlanticGMAT wrote:
Hi Rachit,

Thanks for participating! Choice A is a trap answer in that it somewhat goes along with the text, and seems believable, but drifts incorrect by being too strong. It's true that some Economists use standard models but it is too far to say that these economists believe that a MAJORITY of people behave in ways that can be predicted by standard models. If "majority" had been switched with "some" then I think you might have a case. But as is, choice A is too strong. If you still feel that choice A is the correct answer, try to find evidence in the passage that supports it. I don't think that you will find anything that you can quote from the passage to support it. Follow up with any questions!

Happy Studies,

A.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for such interesting RC drills. I think that they are great and tough. I'd like to object in regards to A being incorrect. Even though I picked B, like some folks, I couldn't find anything wrong with A. However, as soon as I read B, it struck me that A was likely a trap. Here's part of the text that I think supports A:

"To take one example, the “people” in economic models have fixed preferences, which are taken as given." (2 para)

According to this piece of information, "people" is a generic term that refers to all people in general. Believing that they have fixed preferences, these economists use standard models to predict their behaviour. So it seems to stand that some economists must believe that "a majority of people behave in ways that can be predicted by standard models".

Please let me know your thoughts here and thanks a lot
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
AtlanticGMAT wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for participating. I will post explanations when I am done teaching today.

Happy Studies,

HG.

Hey there i have a tuff time understanding the following sentence "Rather, what economists consider anomalous is the norm. Homo economicus, not his fallible counterpart, is the oddity."
i want to know what ever the economist is considering are they refered to as Homo economicus or are they considering their fallible counter part, and also what significance does the word oddity have at the end of the passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi Atlantic GMAT,

Require explanation to the answers of RC Challenge #3.

Regards
Nikita
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
I want explanation for q5,is fadden not the famous classic economist here so is C not the answer?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Send PM
Hi Andrew,

What is the correct ans for Q1, I dont see the detailed explanation for Q1, can u plz help with the same? I marked option C.

In the experiment mentioned in the third paragraph it can be reasonably inferred that orthodox economics would have expected:
A. a pleasurable experience to create longer lasting and more vibrant memories
B. a more exaggerated response to painful experiences
C. the sequence of events to have less influence on the memory of the experience
D. most people to have preferred a longer but less painful procedure
E. most people to have preferred a shorter but more painful procedure

Thanks
Alka
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator