Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 05:02 It is currently 11 May 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [33]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4894 [6]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33002 [0]
Given Kudos: 4475
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet [#permalink]
espa wrote:
Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when making significant purchases or sales related to their collections. At art auctions, for example, these collectors often place anonymous bids for major artwork. Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion above EXCEPT:

A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective.
B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.

Generally for except questions, i think the best to attack is to think without except mark. So, think of the answers that weaken the conclusion and answer accordingly.
A) Doesn't hurt the conclusion which says you can't find people who buys these popular art pieces or u can't find that art.
B)Hurt's you know where to find them. gone
C)Well if museums owns them than you can find them.gone
D)So you know the serious buyers. gone.
E)art is displayed publicly. gone
Answer A.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1837 [4]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

New project from GMAT Club! Click here

Theory on Weaken the Argument Questions
Manhattan Gmat
Stacy Manhattan Gmat
Stacy Manhattan Gmat
Mangoosh GMAT
Knewton
e-gmat

Thursdays with Ron video sessions (Weaken and Strengthen questions)

Souvik's Article
Veritas prep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Yes. I agree with u. It is easy to get lost with the options especially in "except" questions and the best way to tackle these questions is by not hanging too much with the word "except". Try to find and eliminate the answer choices that best address the question stem without "except". Answer choices that are irrelevant or have no effect on the conclusion are the real contenders. However, I feel questions of these type are really time consuming. :shock:

Bluelagoon wrote:
espa wrote:
Serious individual art collectors are usually discreet when making significant purchases or sales related to their collections. At art auctions, for example, these collectors often place anonymous bids for major artwork. Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion above EXCEPT:

B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase.
D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors.
E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings.

Generally for except questions, i think the best to attack is to think without except mark. So, think of the answers that weaken the conclusion and answer accordingly.
A) Doesn't hurt the conclusion which says you can't find people who buys these popular art pieces or u can't find that art.
B)Hurt's you know where to find them. gone
C)Well if museums owns them than you can find them.gone
D)So you know the serious buyers. gone.
E)art is displayed publicly. gone
Answer A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion that the whereabouts of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown

CORRECT, this does not weaken the conclusion.
Hence the location is know if the collector publicize his new purcheses.
If this is true, than the location of the most valuable work is know: the museums.
If this is true, (the number of serious art collectors is little) then the number of valuable work whose whereabouts is unknown is little (it's reasonable to conclude so).
If they display them in public, then the location is know.

For me it was between A and D. If we analyze D closely, we can assume something that weakens the conclusion, but the info contained in A does not allow us to infer anything.

Quote:
Therefore, the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.

I agree. D was a little tricky........a close look leads you to A

If the value of a peice of art is purely subjective, then there is no clear definition/criteria for most "valuable" artwork. And if there is no most valuable artwork then it can't be concluded that the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.. This question is indeed tricky. Can anyone properly justify option A?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
anindame wrote:

If the value of a piece of art is purely subjective, then there is no clear definition/criteria for most "valuable" artwork. And if there is no most valuable artwork then it can't be concluded that the whereabouts of most of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown.. This question is indeed tricky. Can anyone properly justify option A?

We cannot look for the perfect answer because there are none. Still, the best answer among the bunch is A.
A) The value of a piece of art is purely subjective. The value of art does not affect the conclusion at all, since serious collectors make "significant" purchases and often do so anonymously. Thus, the criteria for the value of the piece of art has no significance in the argument -- it's practially neutral. If "significant" pieces are in fact worthless, the remaining, valuable pieces of artwork are likely to be purchased and still be unknown.

B) Serious art collectors usually publicize their new artwork several months after making a purchase. Weakens. Publicizing <> unknown.

C) Museums own the vast majority of the world's most valuable artwork. Weakens. Vast majority of art is in fact known.

D) Of all the individuals in the world who own extremely valuable artwork, only a few are considered serious art collectors. Weakens. If only a few collectors are art collectors and they hold some artwork, then the location of most of the valuable artwork is probably known.

E) The private collections of most serious individual art collectors are often displayed in public settings. Weaken. Public settings <> unknown.

I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
are you sure this is 700 level question?

For the first time I am able to solve a CR with proper line of reasoning.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
Each of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion that the whereabouts of the world's most valuable artwork is probably unknown

CORRECT, this does not weaken the conclusion.
Hence the location is know if the collector publicize his new purcheses.
If this is true, than the location of the most valuable work is know: the museums.
If this is true, (the number of serious art collectors is little) then the number of valuable work whose whereabouts is unknown is little (it's reasonable to conclude so).
If they display them in public, then the location is know.

For me it was between A and D. If we analyze D closely, we can assume something that weakens the conclusion, but the info contained in A does not allow us to infer anything.

Hello!

If we can say that D weakens the argument by assuming that few serious art collectors do not own most of the world's most valuable art pieces, then we can add an assumption to A as well and hence it too would weaken the argument. The assumption can be that as the value of art is subjective, i.e. relative, then what the argument considers valuable might not be valuable hence weakening the conclusion.

Please clarify the reasoning.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts