Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [73]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32879 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Reading Technique for Reading Comprehension [#permalink]
Hi Becky,

Thanks for the wonderful piece. I am a struggler as far as adopting the 'right' process for RC is concerned and have a few questions, answers to which might help me adopt your suggested idea.

1. How and when do I stop to paraphrase, or is it that you suggest that I should stop for paraphrasing only after completing the entire paragraph?
2. Summarizing the entire content of the passage is wonderful idea for answering main point questions, what about other question types? What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Argha
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
argha wrote:
Hi Becky,

Thanks for the wonderful piece. I am a struggler as far as adopting the 'right' process for RC is concerned and have a few questions, answers to which might help me adopt your suggested idea.

1. How and when do I stop to paraphrase, or is it that you suggest that I should stop for paraphrasing only after completing the entire paragraph?
2. Summarizing the entire content of the passage is wonderful idea for answering main point questions, what about other question types? What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Argha

I suggest that you stop after each paragraph as a basic guideline. If a paragraph is particularly long and switches clearly from one point to another then you might stop mid-paragraph but generally paragraphs are broken up by ideas and so you want to read the author's entire point before you summarize it - otherwise you are just taking notes.

As to your second question I always suggest going back to the passage for specific questions. I am working on a new article on how to deal with the question types but this read is really something that should ultimately take a few quick minutes and then you have plenty of time to go back for the specific information in specific questions.

Hope that helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 887 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
While the idea of "stopping" is quite common, I have never met "types of paragraphs" before. I think it will help me to sum up parafraphs. Thanks for the topic and kudos from me. Looking forward to the next one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM