Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 22:57 It is currently 10 May 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Simon Business School - Class of 2012
GPA: 3.91
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Re: One month at work with no work to do [#permalink]
Bookmarks
What kind of work do you do now? If you're looking for investment management experience you could ask for a project related to finance. If your company doesn't have anything like that for you do to you could start studying up on modeling.

But from my experience, I don't think one month of doing some kind of investment management-related project will make too much difference in your ability to get an internship or not. It's more about what you do when you get to b-school and how you can spin your previous experience to match what you want to do. I saw several classmates with no finance experience get finance internships and then convert those into jobs.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with what AmyCope mentioned above. 1 month of internship won't make or break things from career perspective. If you want to utilize your time before the school starts then in my opinion start working on things such as:
1. Resume: Career mgmt. at your school is going to help you with this but it would be like a mad rush from the day one about resume, cover letter besides all the course load and signing up for classes, adjusting to a new environment etc. So, better get a head start on this important thing.

2. You can also start making a list of the companies where you want to work. I made an excel for all the companies hiring and the ones I was interested in.

3. You can start "networking" - the most imp thing to find a job from a b school. Finding alumni from your school / previous connections on LinkedIn and connecting with them. I made an excel for this as well and kept their names and email addresses (found after connecting through linkedIn), dates I emailed them, days since last contact, follow-ups, any comments etc. This is what took most of my time and is by far the most imp thing to find an internship or job.

Just my two cents...
GMAT Club Bot