Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Marshall '11
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Re: Is roommate with classmate a good idea? [#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with bb. The benefits (homework help, you can vent with the roommate, maybe same class schedules, interested in same things as you, at least professionally) outweigh the costs (could be a slob, maybe you're completely different people). You should definitely have some conversations with this person about living style before moving in together, but if that works out, go for it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: HBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
It can definitely be a good idea, but REALLY depends on the specifics of your situation and the personality of your roommate. I had a friend last year who was overwhelmed with transitions related to b-school as well as other things going on in her life. Her roommate was someone who was especially obsessed about school and had a way of bringing all of the drama of school back into the house, and she felt like she couldn't ever really rest. However, many of my other friends have done this and had a great, if not even enhanced experience from doing so. I would just recommend that you know yourself well and have a substantive conversation with the new roomie ahead of time. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: HBS '16 (M)
Send PM
It can definitely be a good idea, but REALLY depends on the specifics of your situation and the personality of your roommate. I had a friend last year who was overwhelmed with transitions related to b-school as well as other things going on in her life. Her roommate was someone who was especially obsessed about school and had a way of bringing all of the drama of school back into the house, and she felt like she couldn't ever really rest. However, many of my other friends have done this and had a great, if not even enhanced experience from doing so. I would just recommend that you know yourself well and have a substantive conversation with the new roomie ahead of time. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Everything else the same I would prefer my classmate as my roommate. A few points in consideration:
1. If your classmate is your roommate you can have another person in your house to discuss your courses, clubs, activities - it is kinda difficult to keep track of all that is going on in the school with all the course load and assignments etc. If you tie up with some other student you may not have similar things going on to discuss such as job search, networking events etc. I am not saying that you will have no contact with other classmates outside your house but it helps to have your classmate as your roommate.

2. I have seen some of my classmates who boarded with non-classmates looking for a new roommate after a short while (not a very good planning, may be) since their current roommate had graduated or was going for study abroad. So timing wise you are more likely to not have to find a new person to stay with you if you are enrolled in the same program as your roommate.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to if you are comfortable with your roommate. If not courses may be other interests would match if your roommate is not your classmate, but it is difficult to find that out upfront.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
There's nothing wrong with having a classmate as a roommate at all, it can actually be a lot of fun! One thing I would recommend though could be to maybe go solo your first year and then room with a friend/s your second year that you know you will get along with. This was the route I took and I was really happy. There were a few guys that weren't all that happy with their first year roommates that they randomly found through the class distribution list and facebook group.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
From my experience, as long as you guys get along and have similar mentality/are from the same country/region it's a good idea.

bad side is when you want to throw up a party and he is studying it might create a bit of conflict of interest, but if you can reach a compromise, then give it a shot! Plus, you can study together for exams, which is also helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi guys!

I had a roommate in my college that studied the same degree as me. We are very good friends, so in matters of roommate-living, there were no problems. College-wise, we were always supporting each other, making small study groups, and reminding ourselves about tests, deadlines, etc.

The only issue I would have in mind is about living with that person; being friends and being roommates is very different because you practically have to deal with your roomie's lifestyle.

:D
GMAT Club Bot