Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619057 [38]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619057 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619057 [3]
Send PM
Re: M17-04 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
b2bt wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(2AB = 3BC = 4AC\). We have the ratio of the sides: \(AB:BC:AC=6:4:3\). Now, ALL triangles with this ratio are similar and have the same fixed angles. No matter what these angles actually are, the main point is that we can get them and thus answer the question. Sufficient.

(2) \(AC^2 + AB^2 \gt BC^2\). This condition will hold for equilateral triangle (all angles are 60 degrees) as well as for a right triangle with right angle at \(B\) or \(C\) (so in this case one angle will be 90 degrees, for example consider a right triangle: \(AC=5\), \(AB=4\) and \(BC=3\)). Not sufficient.

Answer: A

Is it right to say that the triangle is acute (and not right triangle) if \(BC^2 < AC^2 + AB^2\) and BC is the longest side of the triangle ?

Also, I did not understand Statement (1). How can we get the angles from sides? Is there a formula?

If the lengths of the sides of a triangle are a, b, and c, where the largest side is c, then:

For a right triangle: \(a^2 +b^2= c^2\).
For an acute (a triangle that has all angles less than 90°) triangle: \(a^2 +b^2>c^2\).
For an obtuse (a triangle that has an angle greater than 90°) triangle: \(a^2 +b^2<c^2\).

As for your other question: you don't need to know any formula. It's enough to know that you CAN find the angles because the triangle will be fixed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

I did not understand how this condition is true for a right triangle. For right angle triangle it should be AC^2+AB^2=BC^2. Am i missing anything here?

(2) AC^2 + AB^2 \gt BC^2. This condition will hold for equilateral triangle (all angles are 60 degrees) as well as for a right triangle with right angle at B or C (so in this case one angle will be 90 degrees, for example consider a right triangle: AC=5, AB=4 and BC=3). Not sufficient.

Thank you

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(2AB = 3BC = 4AC\). We have the ratio of the sides: \(AB:BC:AC=6:4:3\). Now, ALL triangles with this ratio are similar and have the same fixed angles. No matter what these angles actually are, the main point is that we can get them and thus answer the question. Sufficient.

(2) \(AC^2 + AB^2 \gt BC^2\). This condition will hold for equilateral triangle (all angles are 60 degrees) as well as for a right triangle with right angle at \(B\) or \(C\) (so in this case one angle will be 90 degrees, for example consider a right triangle: \(AC=5\), \(AB=4\) and \(BC=3\)). Not sufficient.

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619057 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunita123 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I did not understand how this condition is true for a right triangle. For right angle triangle it should be AC^2+AB^2=BC^2. Am i missing anything here?

(2) AC^2 + AB^2 \gt BC^2. This condition will hold for equilateral triangle (all angles are 60 degrees) as well as for a right triangle with right angle at B or C (so in this case one angle will be 90 degrees, for example consider a right triangle: AC=5, AB=4 and BC=3). Not sufficient.

Thank you

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

AC^2+AB^2=BC^2 is true for a right triangle where BC is hypotenuse. Think what would it be if for example, AC is hypotenuse.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
We can solve this in another way

1. Lets write all the sides with respect to one side
2AB=3BC=4AC
AB=3/2BC
AC=3/4BC

Now use AB^2 + AC^2 = BC^2 and substitute in this u will get LHS is greater than BC^2 So it is obviously obtuse triangle.

2. AC^2+AB^2>BC^2 As per this statement we have no information about which side is hypotenuse. so This is clearly insufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.98
WE:Corporate Finance (Health Care)
Send PM
The explanation says that we can find the angles no matter what they are. I get that - when given the ratios of three sides all the triangles with that ratio are similar. What I don't understand is why we don't need to know the angles. The question asks weather all than angles are less than 90 degrees. Here's an example:

Ratio of three sides 1:1:1

All angles are 60 degrees ANSWER YES

Ratio of three sides 3:4:5

One angle is 90 degrees ANSWER NO

With trigonometry we could find find the actual angles, but without it we couldn't tell decisively if one of the angles is equal to or greater than 90 degrees.
I'm pretty sure that I'm missing an identity somewhere, but don't know what it is!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619057 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
spence11 wrote:
The explanation says that we can find the angles no matter what they are. I get that - when given the ratios of three sides all the triangles with that ratio are similar. What I don't understand is why we don't need to know the angles. The question asks weather all than angles are less than 90 degrees. Here's an example:

Ratio of three sides 1:1:1

All angles are 60 degrees ANSWER YES

Ratio of three sides 3:4:5

One angle is 90 degrees ANSWER NO

With trigonometry we could find find the actual angles, but without it we couldn't tell decisively if one of the angles is equal to or greater than 90 degrees.
I'm pretty sure that I'm missing an identity somewhere, but don't know what it is!

The ratio of the sides can only be \(AB:BC:AC=6:4:3\). It cannot be 1:1:1 or 3:4:5. Does those ratio satisfy \(2AB = 3BC = 4AC\)? No.

ALL triangles with this ratio (\(AB:BC:AC=6:4:3\)) are similar and have the same fixed angles. No matter whether they are 6, 4, and 3 or 12, 8, and 6, etc They all will have the same angles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Hi Bunuel, can you please help me understand how you got the ratio to be 6:4:3? I am having difficulty in calculating that.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619057 [2]
Send PM
Kudos