Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Evaluate my chances (MSF) [#permalink]
MSFHQ wrote:
Skimbum01 wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like some advice before I start applying to some Irish/UK MSF programs...personal opinion: where do I stand in likelihood of getting admittance to the below programs?
Profile:
IU Kelley School of Business 3.3GPA
Working (1 year experience) in Big 4 accounting in US
Study abroad at LSE
GMAT 620 (will likely not include this score in my application to most schools)

MSF programs of interest:
Warwick
Cass
Bath
UCD (Dublin)
Trinity (Dublin)

I think you picked a bunch of good schools you will most likely get into. I'd maybe add Imperial or on of the non Accounting & Finance LSE MSc programs as a stretch. IU is a great school, your GPA and GMAT are ok, not great, but not horrible. One year work experience at a globally known firm is good also.

MSFHQ, thanks so much for your comment/advice! The programs I listed don't require a GMAT submission... do you think it hurts my application to omit my score and focus on strengthening the rest of my application or possibly retaking the GMAT before applying? Does waiting until January to retake the exam (next availability in my area) kill my chances by not applying early...in the case that my GMAT does not improve? Of course, I will need to submit a GMAT score to Imperial/LSE should I chose to apply to those programs.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q168 V152
Send PM
Hi MSFHQ,

I am planning to apply for MSF for Fall 2015 admissions. Pls help me evaluate my profile.

Age 22, Indian

B.Tech Software Engineering from Delhi Technological University ( formerly Delhi College of Engg), Class 2014

We get percentages, mine is 64% which is not too good. It can be equated to around 3.2 - 3.4 CGPA on 4 point scale.

My college is consistently ranked among the top 10 colleges in India and has an acceptance ratio of less than 0.5%
I have no work experience. I have 2 internships during college, one related to Computers & second to Finance.

GRE: 320 (Q168,V152)

I intend to apply for the following colleges.

1) Simons - Uni of Rochester

Thank you!

Originally posted by alphabeta8 on 23 Nov 2014, 04:14.
Last edited by alphabeta8 on 20 May 2015, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Evaluate my chances (MSF) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skimbum01 wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
Skimbum01 wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like some advice before I start applying to some Irish/UK MSF programs...personal opinion: where do I stand in likelihood of getting admittance to the below programs?
Profile:
IU Kelley School of Business 3.3GPA
Working (1 year experience) in Big 4 accounting in US
Study abroad at LSE
GMAT 620 (will likely not include this score in my application to most schools)

MSF programs of interest:
Warwick
Cass
Bath
UCD (Dublin)
Trinity (Dublin)

I think you picked a bunch of good schools you will most likely get into. I'd maybe add Imperial or on of the non Accounting & Finance LSE MSc programs as a stretch. IU is a great school, your GPA and GMAT are ok, not great, but not horrible. One year work experience at a globally known firm is good also.

MSFHQ, thanks so much for your comment/advice! The programs I listed don't require a GMAT submission... do you think it hurts my application to omit my score and focus on strengthening the rest of my application or possibly retaking the GMAT before applying? Does waiting until January to retake the exam (next availability in my area) kill my chances by not applying early...in the case that my GMAT does not improve? Of course, I will need to submit a GMAT score to Imperial/LSE should I chose to apply to those programs.

Thanks again!

If they don't require it then it wont hurt you. Many schools omit the GMAT when work experience is required. Some omit it because they just don't care. Either way you are in luck.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
karangarg56 wrote:
Hi MSFHQ,

I am planning to apply for MSF for Fall 2015 admissions. Pls help me evaluate my profile.

Age 22, Indian

B.Tech Software Engineering from Delhi Technological University ( formerly Delhi College of Engg), Class 2014

We get percentages, mine is 64% which is not too good. It can be equated to around 3.2 - 3.4 CGPA on 4 point scale.

My college is consistently ranked among the top 10 colleges in India and has an acceptance ratio of less than 0.5%
I have no work experience. I have 2 internships during college, one related to Computers & second to Finance.

GRE: 320 (Q168,V152)

I will start preparing for preparing for CFA-1,Jun 2015. I gave CFA L1 in June, 2014 as I had studied for 15 days and giving it between my college exams was very difficult.( i recd a score band of 8.)

Extra-circulars: Took part & organised in many competitions. Also, a corporate head of the student society in third year and vice- president in fourth year of college. I also have various certification for Financial markets from NSE( National Stock Exchange - Country's most reputed stock exchange)

I intend to apply for the following colleges.

1) Simons - Uni of Rochester
2) Purdue
3) SUNY Buffalo
4) NYU Poly - MS in Financial Engg
5) Northwestern University

Pls advise my chances at each university? Pls suggest whether I am understating or overstating my profile. Do you suggest any other universities?
Also, clarify that will an engg background harm my prospects?

Thank you!

I think the only two you really need to worry about are NYU and Northwestern. The other ones should be in the bag.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the reply, MSFHQ.

I was wondering whether writing about a failed CFA attempt, hamper chances of admission?

Originally posted by alphabeta8 on 19 Dec 2014, 05:51.
Last edited by alphabeta8 on 20 May 2015, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
karangarg56 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, MSFHQ.

I was wondering whether writing about a failed CFA attempt, hamper chances of admission?

Regards,

Karan

You can write about it, but make sure to emphasize the learning you took away from studying and the lesson you learned from failing. If you narrowly failed you might mention that. I believe the CFA gives you bands that you fall into when you pass or fail. Might be worthwhile to mention that in your essay.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also, How is the HULT International School - Boston Campus.

These people are calling me for admissions for MS in Finance.

An you pls suggest me whether I should consider them.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
karangarg56 wrote:
Also, How is the HULT International School - Boston Campus.

These people are calling me for admissions for MS in Finance.

An you pls suggest me whether I should consider them.

Thanks

I don't know too much about Hult. I am sure the education you would receive is fine, but I don't see a lot of financial firms recruiting there. Boston has a ton of MSF programs. I would probably apply elsewhere and use Hult s your back up.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey MSFHQ,

I recd an interview invite from Vanderbilt University ( MSF Program). Do they send invites to all the people?

What sort of questions do they ask and what they expect?

Kindly help me out.

Regards,

Karan
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts