Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: N is the smallest number which is divisible by 49 and has all its digi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manpreetsingh86 wrote:

hi mike, thanks for responding and clearing the air regarding the question. i got this question, from one of my friend, who is also preparing for gmat at the well known institute over here in india.

well, regarding the solution. this is how, i responded to this question.

Rule : All numbers whose digits are same and are in a multiple of six will always be divisible by 7,11 and 13. thus 111111,111111111111 will always be divisible by 7,11 and 13.

so, we can quickly zero down to number 111111. we can see this number is not divisible by 49. thus 777777 is our lucky number. next, by using the rule mentioned above, without doing any calculation we can see that it will be divisible by 11 and 13. also since, sum of its digits is a multiple of 3. therefore, it will be divisible by 3. thus, without touching any calculator we can zero down to 4 distinct prime factors. now as far as the fifth prime factor is concerned, we can focus on the unit digit( which is 7) of original number.
now, unit of 7^2=9, 13=3,3=3 and 11=1
thus unit digit of product of 3,7^2,11 and 13 is 1, thus our next prime must have a unit digit of 7. thus our first two possible choices are 17 and 37. we will first divide the number by 17. we will see, its not divisible by 17. next we will divide the number by 37 and bingo.

As can be see, until the last step,we are not required to do any calculation.

P.S. : this is an unsolved question. i've pinged the link of the same question to the mike for his consideration.

If this is the kind of questions the institute is passing off as GMAT questions, you really need to worry whether you (or your friend) are in the right hands. As a test maker, I can tell you that it is very easy to make hard questions. The problem lies in making simple questions which seem hard - the requirement of GMAT. The problem lies in making them GMAT relevant!

There is no logical way forward in this question. N is a multiple of 49 with all its digits same. There are innumerable numbers with all digits same - 22, 222, 2222, 3, 33, 333, 3333, 33333, 33333333 etc.

One cannot pick up a random rule and take that as starting point. We encourage people to understand logic, not learn up rules. Here, the question requires one to learn up obscure rules. Even if one does know that 6 digit numbers with all same digits will be divisible by 7, how do you know that a number such as 9999 is not divisible by 49 without calculating?

Mind you, rules can come in handy. In fact, I will give you a question I made for which this rule is relevant. But knowing the rule only hastens your solving, not knowing is not an impediment. Try this:

Question: On multiplying a positive integer N having n digits by (n + 2), we get a number with (n + 1) digits, all of whose digits are (n + 1). How many such N exist?
(A) None
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 8
(E) 9

There is a logical starting point here which gives you a range of only a few numbers. You ignore some of them using logic. You work on only a few and find your answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [0]
Send PM
Re: N is the smallest number which is divisible by 49 and has all its digi [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
manpreetsingh86 wrote:

hi mike, thanks for responding and clearing the air regarding the question. i got this question, from one of my friend, who is also preparing for gmat at the well known institute over here in india.

well, regarding the solution. this is how, i responded to this question.

Rule : All numbers whose digits are same and are in a multiple of six will always be divisible by 7,11 and 13. thus 111111,111111111111 will always be divisible by 7,11 and 13.

so, we can quickly zero down to number 111111. we can see this number is not divisible by 49. thus 777777 is our lucky number. next, by using the rule mentioned above, without doing any calculation we can see that it will be divisible by 11 and 13. also since, sum of its digits is a multiple of 3. therefore, it will be divisible by 3. thus, without touching any calculator we can zero down to 4 distinct prime factors. now as far as the fifth prime factor is concerned, we can focus on the unit digit( which is 7) of original number.
now, unit of 7^2=9, 13=3,3=3 and 11=1
thus unit digit of product of 3,7^2,11 and 13 is 1, thus our next prime must have a unit digit of 7. thus our first two possible choices are 17 and 37. we will first divide the number by 17. we will see, its not divisible by 17. next we will divide the number by 37 and bingo.

As can be see, until the last step,we are not required to do any calculation.

P.S. : this is an unsolved question. i've pinged the link of the same question to the mike for his consideration.

If this is the kind of questions the institute is passing off as GMAT questions, you really need to worry whether you (or your friend) are in the right hands. As a test maker, I can tell you that it is very easy to make hard questions. The problem lies in making simple questions which seem hard - the requirement of GMAT. The problem lies in making them GMAT relevant!

There is no logical way forward in this question. N is a multiple of 49 with all its digits same. There are innumerable numbers with all digits same - 22, 222, 2222, 3, 33, 333, 3333, 33333, 33333333 etc.

One cannot pick up a random rule and take that as starting point. We encourage people to understand logic, not learn up rules. Here, the question requires one to learn up obscure rules. Even if one does know that 6 digit numbers with all same digits will be divisible by 7, how do you know that a number such as 9999 is not divisible by 49 without calculating?

Mind you, rules can come in handy. In fact, I will give you a question I made for which this rule is relevant. But knowing the rule only hastens your solving, not knowing is not an impediment. Try this:

Question: On multiplying a positive integer N having n digits by (n + 2), we get a number with (n + 1) digits, all of whose digits are (n + 1). How many such N exist?
(A) None
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 8
(E) 9

There is a logical starting point here which gives you a range of only a few numbers. You ignore some of them using logic. You work on only a few and find your answer.

hi karishma, thank you very much for responding. well i'm not taking any coaching from any institute and i'm not associated with any coaching institute. usually, when we prepare for something, we tend to share our knowledge about the subject with other people. my friend has got this question, from his faculty. he put the same question to me. so, i thought of discussing the same here in this forum. i don't see any harm in doing such thing. Also, because i'm not an expert, so therefore don't know which question qualifies as gmat type and which doesn't.

well, this is definitely not some random rule. i know about these stuff and other rules, back from my olympiad days. i thought others might be aware of it, if not, then they might learn something new today.

And the answer to your question is 9.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [0]
Send PM
N is the smallest number which is divisible by 49 and has all its digi [#permalink]
well, here is another method to solve this question.

as all digits of the number are same. so let's start from a three digit number. 111 is not divisible by 7. since 111 is not divisible by 7, thus any three digit number having all of its digit same, except 777 will not divisible by 7. why ? because all these number will be multiple of 111 and 111 is not a factor of 7.

Also, 777=7(111). as 111 is not divisible by 7. thus 777 will not be divisible by 49.

by using the similar reasoning we can come straight to number 111111. which is divisible by 7, but not 49. thus 777777 will be our magic number.
clearly, this number is divisible by 7,3 (as sum of its digits is divisible by 3) and 11 (111111 can be written as 11,11,11). now,check the unit digit of the number obtained so far.

which is 9*3*1=7. thus we need those prime number which results in 1 in the unit digit when multiplied.(13,17,23,37 can be such numbers) let's try 13 gotcha. thus we only have to find the prime number which has 7 at its unit place. thus we will first try number 17, clearly not divisible. then we will divide the number by 37 and bingo.

as can be seen, this question can also be solved by not getting affected with savant and by not remembering any random rule.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Send PM
N is the smallest number which is divisible by 49 and has all its digi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
well, here is another method to solve this question.

as all digits of the number are same. so let's start from a three digit number. 111 is not divisible by 7. since 111 is not divisible by 7, thus any three digit number having all of its digit same, except 777 will not divisible by 7. why ? because all these number will be multiple of 111 and 111 is not a factor of 7.

Also, 777=7(111). as 111 is not divisible by 7. thus 777 will not be divisible by 49.

by using the similar reasoning we can come straight to number 111111. which is divisible by 7, but not 49. thus 777777 will be our magic number.
clearly, this number is divisible by 7,3 (as sum of its digits is divisible by 3) and 11 (111111 can be written as 11,11,11). now,check the unit digit of the number obtained so far.

which is 9*3*1=7. thus we need those prime number which results in 1 in the unit digit when multiplied.(13,17,23,37 can be such numbers) let's try 13 gotcha. thus we only have to find the prime number which has 7 at its unit place. thus we will first try number 17, clearly not divisible. then we will divide the number by 37 and bingo.

as can be seen, this question can also be solved by not getting affected with savant and by not remembering any random rule.

The question is barely suitable for CAT, no matter how you do it, let alone GMAT. It is common in India to pass off the CAT questions as GMAT questions (I have worked in an institute in India so I know) since GMAT is and will remain a sidekick there - it doesn't provide enough ROI. So if you choose to ignore our advice, that's certainly your call, but in my opinion, it is worthwhile to invest your time in only GMAT specific questions if you are going to take only GMAT.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 27 Nov 2014, 20:25.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2022, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [4]
Send PM
Kudos