Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Re: Dramatically Improving Quant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi BrodtandBread,

I like the basic timeline and structure of this plane - you've clearly thought it through. Studying for the GMAT before you get into the routine of a full-time job is also a smart idea.

If you're not going to take the GMAT until your Senior year though, then I have some issues with your current studies. I'm going to assume that you're on a 4-year plan to graduate. Since you're a Sophomore now, you're at least a year away from 'Senior year.' If that's true, then you might be starting your GMAT studies a bit too early.

I say all of this because I don't think that it will take you over a year to study for the GMAT. If you're consistent with your studies, then you'll likely hit your "peak" in 3-6 months, so really getting into those studies now would NOT mesh with your overall timeline. Since a GMAT score is "valid" for 5 years, if you took the GMAT in 3 months, then you'd have a shorter "window" to apply to Business School later on (before your GMAT score expired).

As far as your other questions are concerned, your GPA and Undergrad Degree should be fine - although those are really questions for Admissions Experts. You would need to have an actual GMAT score and your work experience would need to be better "defined" before any of them could assess your chances at getting accepted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dramatically Improving Quant [#permalink]
Even if I were to have a low quant score, three to six months is still enough time to dramatically improve?

Originally posted by StoicBread on 26 Feb 2015, 21:31.
Last edited by StoicBread on 26 Feb 2015, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am not saying I am terrible at math - I'm not - but it is definitely going to be my weak point.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BrodtandBread,

If you're consistent with your studies and have the proper study materials, then you could very well hit your 'peak' score in 3-6 months. Keep in mind that "peak" is a relative term - I'm not saying that you're necessarily going to ace the Quant section (most Test Takers can't do that no matter how much time they spend studying), but since the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, you can learn EXACTLY what's on it, all of the different tactics you can use to answer questions quickly and efficiently and how to handle the "physical" stresses of facing the Full GMAT.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi BrodtandBread,

If you're consistent with your studies and have the proper study materials, then you could very well hit your 'peak' score in 3-6 months. Keep in mind that "peak" is a relative term - I'm not saying that you're necessarily going to ace the Quant section (most Test Takers can't do that no matter how much time they spend studying), but since the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, you can learn EXACTLY what's on it, all of the different tactics you can use to answer questions quickly and efficiently and how to handle the "physical" stresses of facing the Full GMAT.

Rich

So you were absolutely correct in your advice. I decided to postpone studying until this year (senior year) and am now intensively studying.

To follow-up on my work experience: I was offered a full-time position at a Big 4 firm's Washington DC international tax and transfer pricing practice, which I plan to stay in for 3-4 years before applying to MBA programs.

Also, my GPA is shaping up to be in the 3.92+ range.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92931 posts