Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619101 [33]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [2]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 08-01-2015
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, two lines are tangent to a circle at points A and [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello!!

1. Insufficient
2. Sufficient: - By knowing the length of arc we can find the angel AOB. Now can't we apply the sum of all the interior angels of a quadrilateral (in this case AOBC) is equal to 360'.

Here we know angle OAC=OBC=90' and angle AOB is 140' (finding the interior angel by length of the arc). So now equation will be 140+90+90+x=360
320+x=360
Hence x = 40'

Isn't option 2 sufficient to find the angle..Want expert comment.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, two lines are tangent to a circle at points A and [#permalink]
Kudos
ArnavPaliw wrote:
Hello!!

1. Insufficient
2. Sufficient: - By knowing the length of arc we can find the angel AOB. Now can't we apply the sum of all the interior angels of a quadrilateral (in this case AOBC) is equal to 360'.

Here we know angle OAC=OBC=90' and angle AOB is 140' (finding the interior angel by length of the arc). So now equation will be 140+90+90+x=360
320+x=360
Hence x = 40'

Hello ArnavPaliw
You can't find angle only from arc because circle can be different sizes and it will change the angle
If circle really big then this angle can be 1 degree and if circle is very small this arc can be almost all circumference and angle can be for example a 350 degree.
Upd: Not in this case. In this case it can be only less than half of circumference. (thanks to the chetan2u for clarification)

But I like your application of formula (n-2)*180 this is more elegant way to solve last step than I used in my solution
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 08-01-2015
Send PM
Harley1980 Thanks for correcting !!!! Kudos.. :-)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harley1980 wrote:
ArnavPaliw wrote:
Hello!!

1. Insufficient

320+x=360
Hence x = 40'

Hello ArnavPaliw
You can't find angle only from arc because circle can be different sizes and it will change the angle
If circle really big then this angle can be 1 degree and if circle is very small this arc can be almost all circumference and angle can be for example a 350 degree

But I like your application of formula (n-2)*180 this is more elegant way to solve last step than I used in my solution

Hi,
you are absolutely correct when you say that the length of the arc will vary as per the size of circle...
But this arc can never be almost equal to entire circumference..
it can never be greater than half the circumference. say its equal to half the circumference, the lines will never meet being parallel and greater than circumference will meet on the other side
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, two lines are tangent to a circle at points A and B. What is x?

(1) The area of the circle is 81π.
(2) The length of arc ADB is 7π.

Kudos for a correct solution.
Attachment:
2015-06-09_1333.png

1) statement gives us the radius but angle cannot be found by that... insuff
2) statement gives us the length of arc but we know nothing about the radius...in suff
combined suff as we can deduce the centre angle from ratio of arc to entire circumference
ans C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
ArnavPaliw wrote:
Hello!!

1. Insufficient

320+x=360
Hence x = 40'

Hello ArnavPaliw
If circle really big then this angle can be 1 degree and if circle is very small this arc can be almost all circumference and angle can be for example a 350 degree

Hi,
you are absolutely correct when you say that the length of the arc will vary as per the size of circle...
But this arc can never be almost equal to entire circumference..
it can never be greater than half the circumference. say its equal to half the circumference, the lines will never meet being parallel and greater than circumference will meet on the other side

Hello chetan2u, thanks for reprimand.

But I always think that we have two arcs in any case.

In our case we have arc AB with length 7pi and angle 140 degrees
And another arc AB with length 11pi and angle 220 degrees

Maybe I miss something but I never met a rule that arc can't be more than half of circumference.

P.S. I'm not saying that I am right, geometry is my weak place. But if it is not too hard, can you please, give some link on that rule?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harley1980 wrote:
thanks for reprimand.

Maybe I miss something but I never met a rule that arc can't be more than half of circumference.

P.S. I'm not saying that I am right, geometry is my weak place. But if it is not too hard, can you please, give some link on that rule?

Sorry buddy if i have sounded that way..
you are correct that there will be two arcs between two points on circle and the length of one of them could be even 359 degrees.
But this is not possible in this case ...
If you have an angle subtended by the tangents at two points on circle, the arc subtended by those points and enclosed within these two points will be less than 180 and ofcourse the other arc may be 359 also as you have explained..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [0]
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
thanks for reprimand.

Sorry buddy if i have sounded that way..
you are correct that there will be two arcs between two points on circle and the length of one of them could be even 359 degrees.
But this is not possible in this case ...
If you have an angle subtended by the tangents at two points on circle, the arc subtended by those points and enclosed within these two points will be less than 180 and ofcourse the other arc may be 359 also as you have explained..

Oh, I get it. I missed constraints that impose tangents.
Thanks for clarifying ;)
I've changed my post
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619101 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, two lines are tangent to a circle at points A and B. What is x?

(1) The area of the circle is 81π.
(2) The length of arc ADB is 7π.

Kudos for a correct solution.
Attachment:
The attachment 2015-06-09_1333.png is no longer available

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

The size of the angle depends on two things:

(1) INSUFFICIENT: From the rubber band picture on the right, we see that for a circle of fixed size, x can still vary with the length of arc ADB (i.e. x varies with the placement of C).

(2) INSUFFICIENT: We can't rely solely on the pictures above, as the arc length varies with both circle size (see left picture) and with placement of C relative to a circle of fixed size (see right picture). We'll draw two cases to prove that x can vary for a given arc ADB:

For a circle with circumference 28π, the arc ADB is 1/4 (= 7π/28π) of the circle, so x is 90°. For a circle with circumference 15π, the arc ADB is nearly half of the circle (= 7π/15π), and the lines tangent to the circle at A and B will be nearly parallel to each other, i.e. x is very small.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: If the area of the circle is πr^2 = 81π, then r = 9. The circumference of the circle is 2πr = 18. Thus, arc ADB is 7/18 (= 7π/18π) of the circumference of the circle. There is only one way to draw the lines tangent to the circle at A and B, so x can only be one value.

The correct answer is C.

Attachment:
2015-06-15_1649.png
2015-06-15_1649.png [ 59.77 KiB | Viewed 20506 times ]

Attachment:
2015-06-15_1650.png
2015-06-15_1650.png [ 19.39 KiB | Viewed 20434 times ]

Attachment:
2015-06-15_1652.png
2015-06-15_1652.png [ 17.32 KiB | Viewed 20314 times ]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM