Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.1
WE:Other (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation & Feedback: Journalist [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
What you must consider in reapplying is what do you have planned over the next 12 months that will materially improve your profile if you don't get in now? They will want to see some real advancements from re-applicants, so if you don't feel you will have much to tout, you may want to delay...round one applications will be ready in August, but obviously you will need to wait until fall 2017 to start. big decision to be sure. I would apply to a few schools in R2 but not all of your top choices, just so you don't have to be a reapplicant accross the board next year if it comes to that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bryantmichaels wrote:
What you must consider in reapplying is what do you have planned over the next 12 months that will materially improve your profile if you don't get in now? They will want to see some real advancements from re-applicants, so if you don't feel you will have much to tout, you may want to delay...round one applications will be ready in August, but obviously you will need to wait until fall 2017 to start. big decision to be sure. I would apply to a few schools in R2 but not all of your top choices, just so you don't have to be a reapplicant accross the board next year if it comes to that.

It is solid advice, I am already on it. Plan is to apply to a couple of colleges in R3 (R2 is mostly out of the question now) and then plan for 2017. As you pointed out, it is a big decision delaying my studies by a year. So, thank you for everything.

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Qualifications: B-Tech (Civil Engineering) from HBTI Kanpur, with 68.38%-

Planning to take admission in september 2016

GMAT score: Overall 680 with quant/ verbal : 50/31 , AWA 4.5 and IR:4

Work-experience: In Petroleum and Refinery sector
Company Name: Engineers India Ltd,
Designations: Deputy Manager from last six months,
Previous designations: Engineer and Sr. Engineer
Number of years: 7 years (excluding one year training)

Achievemnets:
- Completed one construction project of Panipat Naptha Cracker Project from 2007-November 2010. I was involved in one of the units as Civil Engineer in this Astronomical project of an approximate cost of $2.4Billion.
- In 2010 I have been shifted to Head Office in New Delhi in Administration Department, looking after renovation/refurbishments and maintenance of EIL own buildings throughout the country.
- In last five years, I have been involved in more than 14 Renovation Projects of EIL own Buildings involved right from the tendering, costing, execution and contract closure.

Extra Curricular Activities:

1) Writing poems and reciting it at stage. I have some of the prizes and certificates for my performances in college and Organization.
2) Participating in Debate competitions. Actually public speaking at thoughtful topics is my one of the hobby.
3) I was Class representative of my Class for second year and third year of B-Tech and actively participated in organizing cultural fests of college.
4) I won First prize in model competition in my college, made a model for earthquake resistant building.
5) I have keen interest in thought provoking philosophical literature like Bhagwat Geeta.

Career Goal

Now I am fed-up with construction and renovation works want a complete change in my career. I know it is a little weird to dodge the construction after 7 years working in construction. But I want to have international exposure. I want to play pivotal role in formulating and deciding company strategy. My goal Is to become think-tank or mastermind of organization who fabricate the policies and strategies. I would prefer technology firms, consulting firms, even petroleum sector but not in the same role.
My current profile is very rigid in the sense that it does not allow me to switch smoothly in different organization in different role or at least in different country except gulf and always gulf. Whatever handful offers I got for international exposure was always in Nigeria, Algeria and Angola etc. I want flexibility in my career prospects that is why I striving for a wild card entry in higher management. I want to become the think tank

My queries:

What best i could expect at my current profile and current GMAT score? I gave GMAT three times and got consistently 50 in quants but could not come out of vicious cycle of verbals: 29 then 25 then 31 and burdened with Rs 51000/- expenditure on GMAT Exam alone. Should I give one more attempt to improve or 680 is adequate for top 20 colleges?
Is IELTS is mandatory for admission after having GMAT score?
What else should I do to improve my profile?
GMAT Club Bot