Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [8]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 647 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
A cube with each side = 1 inch is half filled with water [#permalink]
davedekoos wrote:
rajarshee wrote:
A cube with each side = 1 is half filled with water. Now it is held in such a manner that only one of vertices is touching the floor and the diagonal of the cube is perpendicular to the floor.

What is the surface area of the water?

(1) √2
(2) 2
(3) √3
(4) 2√2
(5) 1

This problems takes some mental geometrical gymnastics of Olympic proportions. And this is almost certainly not a real GMAT question... But it's a really interesting fun problem, so here goes.

When you orient a cube so that one vertex is touching the ground and the diagonal is perpendicular to the ground, you'll basically get two triangular pyramids (one pointing up on top and the other pointing down on the bottom), with a triangular hexagonal hybrid shape in the middle. (What do you mean you have no idea what I'm saying?? :wink: )

I've drawn some different perspectives of a cube here to help

Attachment:
Wireframe cube 2.png

#1 and #2 show the cube oriented the way we want with a slight perspective to show where the water line would be.
#3 shows the cube directly from the side, with the water line exactly halfway.
#4 and #5 show a more common view of a cube in isometric view. This time the water line is shown at an angle (it's the same water line from #2 and #3), and at this angle we can see more clearly the shape that the surface of the water will have.
#6 and #7 show the cube from the top, looking down towards the ground, so we can see the full shape of the surface of the water.

As we can see it is a hexagon.

The hexagon is formed by joining the midpoint of the edges that do not connect to the vertices at the top or at the bottom. Since each side of the cube is 1, the length of each side of the hexagon is \(1/\sqrt{2}\). From there the area of the hexagon is \(\frac{3\sqrt{3}(side^2)}{2}\)

So the area of the hexagon, which is the surface area of the water is \(\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{4}\)

This is not one of the answer choices, but I feel pretty good about it. And seeing as this isn't a real GMAT question anyway, who knows where it and the answer choices came from?

Anyone want to have a go and see if I made an error?

At least some kudos for the drawing though... :-D

Cheers

Do you know what the volume of the water would be in the shape you're working with? I bet the problem is that your solution has a different water volume than 0.5 units^3.

Anyways, for the answer, I assumed the water level would be less than half of the cube when the cube is tipped. If this is wrong, I'm sorry, it's 3 AM and I'm very tired. Either way, if the water level is less than half, if the water level is just low enough, you can use pyramidal formulas. The volume of a pyramid is always 1/3(a*a*h). If you take 1/2 as your water volume, you get 1/2 = 1/3(a*a*h), which becomes (3/2) = a*a*h. From here, I engage luck mode and hope that because we've seen nothing but clean numbers so far, our height and our final answer will be clean as well. That is, no roots. From this, we see that only B and E are applicable. E sets off red flags due to the 1, so I opted for B. B ended up being the answer.

Please note that my methodology and assumptions are pretty bad if you're sitting the gmat. I just wanted to see what happens if I use a line of assumptions to reach an answer.

If anyone has a real method to solve this question in a reasonable amount of time, please let me know. I'm curious!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: A cube with each side = 1 inch is half filled with water [#permalink]
Kudos
Beixi88 wrote:

Do you know what the volume of the water would be in the shape you're working with? I bet the problem is that your solution has a different water volume than 0.5 units^3.

Anyways, for the answer, I assumed the water level would be less than half of the cube when the cube is tipped.

Hi Beixi,

If the cube is filled halfway, then no matter how you orient it, it will always be filled halfway. It can't be any other way, since the shape is symmetrical about the center point.

Your question about the volume is an interesting problem in and of itself though, and something I didn't check (because I'm pretty confident that half a cube is always half a cube). For fun, I did verify that the volume of water in my solution is still 0.5\(u^3\) though.

I was going to try to illustrate it myself, but instead, I found some beautiful explanations from people who have better graphical tools than I do. If I had found this before I worked it all out myself, it would have made my life much easier, but in any case, here is an excellent explanation and illustration from Mathworld.Wolfram.com. https://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cube.html The part that interests us is about halfway down the page starting with this image:

Attachment:
CubeCutByPlanes_1100.gif
CubeCutByPlanes_1100.gif [ 10.03 KiB | Viewed 3040 times ]

As we can see from this image of a unit cube cut by various planes, the surface of the shape in our problem will indeed be a hexagon with sides \(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\) (aka \(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\)), and from the table below the image on the webpage, the volume of the section is 1/2 and the surface area of the hexagon is \(\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{4}\), as in my solution.

I think this leaves little doubt that the real answer is in fact \(\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{4}\) and is does not appear in the answer choices.

N.B. I did have a thought that maybe the question was asking for the total surface area of the volume of water, not just the "exposed" area inside the cube. But in that case, the answer would be \(3+\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{4}\), which is quite a bit larger than any of the answer choices given, so I ruled that possibility out.

Cheers,
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts