Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink]
Great story man ! Good luck....I am sure your hard-work will reap rewards.
pandeyrav wrote:
I haven't been accepted anywhere yet but a journey is a journey even if you haven't reached the destination. So here goes my story.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Addendum to my story: I finally bit the bullet, took the GMAT, got a killer score, and now I'm full steam ahead for this B-school thing! 8-)

Bring it on! :twisted:

(Applying in the fall)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
congrats rca! hopefully we can help you get into your dream schools! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
RCA you have a huge advantage to be starting so early. My advice visit some schools this spring. You wont be as rushed this fall.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Thanks kryzak and riverripper!

I've already set up a visit day at MIT and I'll be doing the same for HBS in a few weeks (they only schedule one month in advance and I need to go in April) . Kellogg seems to offer more in the summer, so I'll hopefully get a chance to fly out there for a long weekend. Maybe I'll see if I can do an interview while I'm out there. I'm not sure yet if they let you get your interview in pre-application.

The craziest thing I'm doing is already starting to structure my essays and I'm compiling lists of experiences relevant to last year's essay questions at my target schools. They also may be helpful for interviews. I've got a recurring email I send to myself whenever I get an idea for something good to add! :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I only just discovered this forum a few days ago, but I have to say I quite like the vibe here! Humorous and introspective -- a far cry from the other mainstream MBA forum...

Anyway, sharing my story since I think it'll be fun to write it. It's almost like writing my application essays anew, which I had a great time doing. What about the rest of you?

The Prequel
I'm sitting in an undergrad finance class utterly captivated by the 30-minute mathematical proof of Black Scholes that my professor is writing out by memory. By the time she had filled 4 chalkboards worth of numbers and formulas, I was committed: finance was the perfect marriage between mathematical theory and a baffling market that's often regarded as random and unpredictable.

Then I looked around me. I think everyone else in the class had fallen asleep 25 minutes ago...

Parental Paranoia
Fast forward to the February before graduation; my parents are getting antsy that I don't have a job offer lined up for post-graduation. After hearing about so many students receiving offers before Christmas, they thought for sure I was doomed to be unemployed. Their solution? "You still have time to apply for an MBA! Go write your GMAT!" Despite my objections, they book me a time slot 2 weeks from that very day. Did I take the test seriously? Hell no. I was quite resolved to prioritize my own life as I saw fit, and show no support for their rash decision-making. During those 2 weeks, I continued with my regular classes, doing assignments and studying for exams. On the day before the GMAT, I finally acquiesced and spent a couple of hours doing some practice problems.

Elsewhere in the household, my dad is panicking about the following day "It'll be a miracle if you get over 500."

Such little faith. ;) I scored 700+.
(I admit though, I got lucky and probably couldn't duplicate the result.)

But enough about overbearing parents. I did end up with a job a few months later, and I shelved the MBA question for when I'd have more work experience to benefit from it.

MBA Where?
It's four years from that time now, and the 5-year expiry on my GMAT score draws near. Let's get cracking on school selection! No surprise, Chicago topped my list given my love of financial theory. They have an incredible roster of Nobel Prize Laureates, and this young lady once spent an entire summer internship with a picture of Harry Markowitz stretched across her computer desktop! (Done half out of admiration, and half out of amusement for the funny looks it draws from passers-by.) Anyhow, I very much admired the school's culture and dedication to academic achievement. The furtherance of human knowledge is a goal I respect a great deal.

I also put London Business School on my list. What I liked about the people I've met from there is that there was an actual person behind the three-letter acronym, and they didn't simply treat the degree as a notch in their belt. When it comes to my own leadership style, I don't believe in leading by fear or intimidation. I expect to earn that respect by being genuinely excellent. Hence, London struck me as a good fit, as they seem to select well-rounded students coupled with the strong business acumen you'd expect to get from any top school.

So Long Finance!
In the end, I only applied to LBS. As much as I love finance, I came to the realization that I only love it academically. I couldn't picture myself working in the typical finance job today where I might be passing off P/E ratios as a sound investment strategy to a public who can barely manage their credit cards, or convincing company directors that taking on more debt to raise dividends is the best idea since sliced bread. It's not these aren't the right things to do, but I couldn't see myself happy in a role that... practically thrives on an obscene amount of financial illiteracy from the very people I'm supposed to add value for.

Anyhow, I don't mean to bash the career goals of those who do want to enter finance. As I mentioned, I was that kid in class who was spellbound when I first learned about derivatives pricing. So I mean it sincerely when I wish you guys all the best in landing that finance job which lives up to your enthusiasm for it.

So, once I realized I'd be sufficiently happy running simplistic NPVs on whether to buy a new TV, or playing armchair analyst on the weekends, I struck Chicago off my list and went full-force with my LBS application--in pursuit of goals that would take another 4 chalkboards to describe (so I won't). In the end, I couldn't divorce the fact that I still have a life to live despite being a full-time student. And, since I've never been to Europe before, I figured it'd be a great place to spend two years exploring. :)

Concluding Update March 27, 2008
Got the nod from admissions--accepted!

Originally posted by FairPlay on 04 Mar 2008, 18:59.
Last edited by FairPlay on 27 Mar 2008, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
FairPlay, I really-really wonder, what do your essays look like? :wink: Great post! Kudos to you. And, have you been admitted to the LBS already?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Helg, my essays probably aren't as fun to read as my original post. I made a conscious decision not to get too "storytell-y" -- adcoms might have regarded it as an insincere gimmick to make my application stand out.

What I didn't shy away from however was making my essays extremely values-focused, and positioning myself as a catalyst for change and progress. Oh you know, the usual stuff like breaking traditions, kicking past-precedence to the curb, or outright telling company executives where they haven't got their act together. ;) (In retrospect, a potentially disastrous career killer, but it was a risk worth taking.)

In effect, I used my essays to communicate those leadership qualities which I have a great respect for: taking initiative, effectively facing adversity (how many of you have dealt with people who perpetually work in denial and hope reality never catches up to them?) ...and most importantly always being backed by a genuine desire to improve the status quo.

Anyway, for anyone out there struggling with application essays either this year or next: Don't Dread It. It's not every day that you have the pleasure of examining yourself in a good light--so enjoy it!

Certainly, you each consider yourselves an excellent person by your own right. And by extension, this means you must have numerous examples from your lifetime to support why you are. Perhaps you're sitting there racking your brain to come up with work experience examples that will sound great on paper... Just stop; you don't need to fabricate anything. Maybe you haven't saved the company X-million of dollars, or transformed that drug-addled homeless kid on the street into a productive member of society--whatever. Every school is asking for you to demonstrate leadership, but leadership is underscored by your values. So if you're at a loss as to what to write about, maybe write about those pocket aces you silently carry around with you... they are, after all, what make you excellent.

Originally posted by FairPlay on 07 Mar 2008, 12:16.
Last edited by FairPlay on 27 Mar 2008, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Impressive story, Fairplay. kudos to your parents for forcing you take the GMAT (who does that these days? )
I hope you will get into your dream school. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Update: Accepted into LBS!

(a bit of a relief since it's the only MBA school I applied to and a now expired GMAT score!)

If I'm allowed into the essays vault, I'll preserve my essays there for future posterity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Congrats FairPlay! Really great story. I plan to do an exchange program in Europe (program TBD)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
FairPlay wrote:
Update: Accepted into LBS!

(a bit of a relief since it's the only MBA school I applied to and a now expired GMAT score!)

If I'm allowed into the essays vault, I'll preserve my essays there for future posterity.

Congrats, FairPlay!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
congrats Fairplay!

PM Praetorian and tell him you will contribute your essays to the vault and he may let you in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
FairPlay, if finance doesn't play out for you, take up writing. Specifically, storytelling. Your story was great!

(Of course, I am confident that with such a strong ambition, you will succeed in finance, but maybe writing on the side?)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [4]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Kudos