Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [32]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619041 [14]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: When a die that has one of six consecutive integers on each [#permalink]
I think it is C

We know it is consecutive so it can be many diffrent things
a-1 2 3 4 5 6
b-2 3 4 5 6 7
c-3 4 5 6 7 8
ect.

statment 1 tells us that 8 is not there.
so it could be a or b or something else.

statment 2 tells us the 7 is one of the numbers.
because the probability not to get it is 5/6*5/6

so if 7 have to be and 8 cannot be there
it got to be 2 3 4 5 6 7 ( since they are consecutive integers)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Using the info from 2)

the only possible integers on the die are

In all of those cases the Probability of rolling number 1 is zero.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
agree with answer choice B

P(7) not equal to 0 hence 7 is on the die -> P(0) = 0.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
1) Indicates that 8 is definitely not on the faces. That takes us nowhere because then the numbers could have been 0-5,1-6,2-7,9-14, . . . .
2)The fact that the probability of not getting a seven is not unity, this means that the number 7 is on the die. This automatically eliminates the presence of 1 on any face of the die.
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
A Dice will have only values from 1 to 6 right?

Can someone please explain it in detail...i am sorry, i could not understand the above explinations....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619041 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
harshavmrg wrote:
A Dice will have only values from 1 to 6 right?

Can someone please explain it in detail...i am sorry, i could not understand the above explinations....

No, die will have consecutive integers on its sides: {1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6} or {7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12} or {-7, -6, -5, -4, -3, -2}, ... Basically it can have ANY 6 consecutive integers on its sides.

Check this: when-a-die-that-has-one-of-six-consecutive-integers-on-each-11954.html#p1060734

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Nice Question.... Keep posting Good questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT Date: 01-17-2014
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Bunuel,
Thank you for the good explanations that you give.
However I have a question.
I have always had a hard time with DS.
Since we cannot get a 7 and 1 on same dice how exactly did we answer this question.
The question is what is the probability of getting a 1?
so which answer did we give
ie
did statement 2 help us answer a yes or a no
as in
statement 2 helped us answer "yes we cannot establish the probability of 1"
or "no we cannot establish the probability of 1"
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
mumbijoh wrote:
Bunuel,
Thank you for the good explanations that you give.
However I have a question.
I have always had a hard time with DS.
Since we cannot get a 7 and 1 on same dice how exactly did we answer this question.
The question is what is the probability of getting a 1?
so which answer did we give
ie
did statement 2 help us answer a yes or a no
as in
statement 2 helped us answer "yes we cannot establish the probability of 1"
or "no we cannot establish the probability of 1"

There are two kinds of data sufficient questions: YES/NO DS questions and DS questions which ask to find a value.

In a Yes/No Data Sufficiency questions, statement is sufficient if the answer is “always yes” or “always no” while a statement is insufficient if the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

Now, our original question is asking about the value (the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls). From (2) we get that there is no 1 on the die, thus the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls is 0.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT Date: 01-17-2014
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Bunuel,
Now its clear.
Thank you.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

When a die that has one of six consecutive integers on each of its sides is rolled twice, what is the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls?

(1) the probability of NOT getting an eight is 1.
(2) the probability of NOT getting a seven is 25/36

In the original condition, there are 6 consecutive integers and 1 variable(you only need to know the first number of the consecutive integers), which should match with the number of equation. For 1) 1 equation, for 2) 1 equation, which is likely to make D the answer.
In 1), there are 2 cases; {1,2,3,4,5,6} and {2,3,4,5,6,7}. the probability of getting the number 1 from the both front sides is 1/36, but from the both back sides is 0, which is not unique and not sufficient.
In 2), there are a number of cases like {2,3,4,5,6,7}, {3,4,5,6,7,8}........ In all cases, the probability of getting the number 1 from the both sides is 0, which is unique and sufficient. Therefore, the answer is B.

-> For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
When a die that has one of six consecutive integers on each of its sides is rolled twice, what is the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls?

"A die that has one of six consecutive integers on each of its sides" means that the sides are numbered for example: from 1 to 6 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), from 2 to 7 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), from -6 to -1 (-6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1), ... So, the question basically ask whether number 1 is on either of the sides, because if it is then the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls would be 1/6*1/6 and if it's not then then the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls would naturally be 0.

(1) the probability of NOT getting an eight is 1 --> number 8 is not on either of the sides, we know nothing about number 1. Not sufficient.

(2) the probability of NOT getting a seven is 25/36 --> since the probability of not getting number 7 is not 100% (as above), then number 7 is on one of the sides of the die, which means that number 1 cannot be on the die (the numbers on it are consecutive and 1 is already 6 units apart from 7. Even if it's {2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} number 1 is still out of reach). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

I don't suppose I am being overly microscopic here if I were to ask what about instances where we have consecutive odds?

1,3,5,7,9,11?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

"A die that has one of six consecutive integers on each of its sides" means that the sides are numbered for example: from 1 to 6 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), from 2 to 7 (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), from -6 to -1 (-6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1), ... So, the question basically ask whether number 1 is on either of the sides, because if it is then the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls would be 1/6*1/6 and if it's not then then the probability of getting the number 1 on both rolls would naturally be 0.

(1) the probability of NOT getting an eight is 1 --> number 8 is not on either of the sides, we know nothing about number 1. Not sufficient.

(2) the probability of NOT getting a seven is 25/36 --> since the probability of not getting number 7 is not 100% (as above), then number 7 is on one of the sides of the die, which means that number 1 cannot be on the die (the numbers on it are consecutive and 1 is already 6 units apart from 7. Even if it's {2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} number 1 is still out of reach). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

I don't suppose I am being overly microscopic here if I were to ask what about instances where we have consecutive odds?

1,3,5,7,9,11?

When we see "consecutive integers" it ALWAYS means integers that follow each other in order with common difference of 1: ... x-3, x-2, x-1, x, x+1, x+2, .... So, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 are NOT consecutive integers, they are consecutive odd integers.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts