Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [11]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers - and socie [#permalink]
I originally picked B, but now realize how stupid of an answer that was since it supports the argument.

vyassaptarashi wrote:
.....but this situation says that society (government) is convinced that there is no need of centers ....hence society now not determined to have centers....thus we dont have to pay........Hence correct answer.

Great explanation. In my head, I wasn't associating society to government. Now I know I should have and E is clearly the answer. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers - and socie [#permalink]
I thought the answer would be B. How can we expect the term "socities" to mean "governement"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
zuberahmed wrote:
If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers-and society has determined that we are-then society ought to pay for them.
Which of the following, if true, would weaken the above argument?

A) Drug rehabilitation centers are too expensive to be locally funded.

B) Many neighborhood groups support rehabilitation centers.

C) Drug rehabilitation centers are expensive to maintain.

D) Drug addicts may be unwilling to receive treatment.

E) A government committee has convinced many groups that local rehabilitation centers are ineffective.

I am way off in oblivion regarding this question, please help me understand the OA and the reasoning behind the answer.

Can someone explain why is option(B) wrong?if neighborhood groups support rehabilitation centers then also society need not pay for them..I thought this way...Please correct it if i am wrong..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
zuberahmed wrote:
If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers-and society has determined that we are-then society ought to pay for them.

E) A government committee has convinced many groups that local rehabilitation centers are ineffective.

I am way off in oblivion regarding this question, please help me understand the OA and the reasoning behind the answer.

Well this is indeed a tough question but on the other hand, answer choices A through D are just nonsense. Sometimes one has to rely on POE even though E is not 100% clear. It is just the best answer choice among the 5 of them

Hope it helps
Take it easy ok?

J :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
zuberahmed wrote:

There is something wrong in this question. It could either be the OA or the entire question itself.

E -> If we consider Government Committee as Society, and the committee considers rehab centers ineffective, then E is negating a given Premise which is always a wrong option.

On the other hand, B says that Many neighborhood groups support those centers. If we consider these neighborhood groups as Society, it would mean that some portion of society is already supporting those centers and hence, the conclusion is weakened, making B the correct answer.

Please tell me whether my thought is right or not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
A) Drug rehabilitation centers are too expensive to be locally funded. --> prompt doesn't tell us that it will be locally funded. Society is paying for this service - it is not specified as to whether it will be paid on a national or local level.

B) Many neighborhood groups support rehabilitation centers. --> irrelevant

C) Drug rehabilitation centers are expensive to maintain. --> we don't care that they're too expensive to maintain; that's why we're letting society pay for it as a whole

D) Drug addicts may be unwilling to receive treatment. --> don't care; this has no affect on the conclusion

E) A government committee has convinced many groups that local rehabilitation centers are ineffective. --> if the gvmt has done this, then why would society be forced to pay for it? HUGE CONTRADICTION. Thus, correct!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Hello,

Can someone please explain the clear logic of why E is correct? I feel that there are many assumptions in the given explanations; furthermore, hard facts and logic would help me to understand this confusing problem.

Any insight would be great! Thank you!

KHow
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
KHow wrote:
Hello,

Can someone please explain the clear logic of why E is correct? I feel that there are many assumptions in the given explanations; furthermore, hard facts and logic would help me to understand this confusing problem.

Any insight would be great! Thank you!

KHow

Hi KHow.

You ask a great question, and the answer is that this question is neither logical nor representative of how GMAT Weaken questions work.

Perhaps the clearest difference, among multiple differences, between this question and a GMAT Weaken question is that the supposedly correct answer to this question attacks a premise of the argument rather than the link between the argument's premises and the argument's conclusion, whereas in GMAT Critical Reasoning questions, the premises are considered factual, and so, the correct answer to a GMAT Weaken question will never attack a premise.

In this question, the OA, choice (E), can weaken the argument only by contradicting the premise that society agrees that drug rehabilitation centers are necessary.

So, if you want to argue about philosophy or language, there might be some reason to discuss this question. In GMAT preparation, the only function this question serves is that of a good example of what GMAT questions are not.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
zuberahmed wrote:
If we are forced to have local drug rehabilitation centers - and society has determined that we are-then society ought to pay for them.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

(E) The argument is in the form of a conditional syllogism: (1) If we must have drug rehabilitation centers, then society ought to pay for them. (2) We must have drug rehabilitation centers. (3) Society ought to pay for them. Alternative (E) falsifies the minor premise 2. Whether or not neighborhood groups support the centers (B) or drug addicts will go to them to receive treatment (D) are not relevant to the argument concerning who will pay for them. The level of government funding (A) or the amount of expense (C) are not mentioned in the passage and are not relevant to the argument. However, a government statement that local rehabilitation centers are ineffective would seriously weaken the premise upon which the argument rests.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: STRANGE QUATION,,,,BUT MAY BE COMMENTED ON [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: STRANGE QUATION,,,,BUT MAY BE COMMENTED ON [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts