Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Practice for Quants - how do I go about it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-06-2013
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Practice for Quants - how do I go about it? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 10:50
Hello!

In the past one month, I went through all the MGMAT prep guides. I solved the problem sets at the end of each chapter, and then after completing each book I solved the OG 13 problems for that book.
Yesterday I tried to solve the online question banks that are part of the resources with each book, and I found it dufficult to get them right!
I was quite comfortable with problems from OG 13, but now I find my confidence has dwindled.

I'm really worried about this, as I plan to do verbal this month (may) and then have June for in hand before my exam day, 6th July.
How should I go about practicing now? I want to do verbal as well as practice quants this month. Any suggestions would be most helpful. I can give about 2-3 hours to study weekdays and more on weekends.

on the go, from my mobile
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Practice for Quants - how do I go about it? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 17:55
Is this a silly query? Have I been doing it wrong n wasted a while month?
I will give a few more details:
My aim is to score 650-700.
In my first mock gmat (gmat prep) I scored q32. Am giving a mock again tomorrow to see if there's improvement.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 1

Re: Practice for Quants - how do I go about it? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 22:43
I would recommend using a source where the questions are in some sort of increasing difficulty. I would recommend using the Official Guide Quantitative Review 2nd Edition, there are about 300 Quant questions. It is possible that even after reviewing the concepts you are not ready for the question bank, or perhaps the question bank is harder than where you are in your preparation. If you use the OG 2nd Review you will be able to see where your mistakes percentage is starting to go up. If that happens, let's say at a third of the way then you are still not strong in a lot of the concepts and the additional practice will help you strengthen those. This is what I would recommend. Practicing with content that is significantly above your current level can be counter productive. The best is to stage the difficulty level of the content.

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Intern
Intern

Re: Practice for Quants - how do I go about it? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 22:52
Ok that sounds good. I will start working from the review book then.
What is the difficulty level of the problems in OG 13? Does it contain only the easier questions? I was thinking since these are all retired gmat questions they would cover, to some degree, all the difficulty levels.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 166 [1] , given: 1

Re: Practice for Quants - how do I go about it? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
The bulk of questions in OG13 are from retired paper tests and the questions used to be easier on average because there was less time, 1.25 to 1.5 minute per question so that can deceive one about the difficulty level of the real GMAT. GMATPrep is closer to the real exam. OG 13 does have some recently administered GMAT problems that are on the harder side, but overall OG13 is closer to being of average difficulty. The important part is that one needs to be able to do everything that is in OG13 before they can move on to harder problems. Based on your Q32 in the first GMATPrep test, I would say you would need to focus a lot on basics and easy/medium level problems and both OG13 and OG Quant Review would serve you well. Once you have mastered them then move on to harder concepts and problems.

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE GMAT 13, 12, 11, 10; QUANT REVIEW 2nd, 1st.

Intern
Intern

Re: Practice for Quants - how do I go about it? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 00:02
dabral wrote:
OG13 is closer to being of average difficulty.

Ok, wish i had known this earlier, would have helped me to plan my prep accordingly.

I did start from the MGMAT math foundation books, then worked through the strategy guides.
My first mock GMATPrep test was before this. I am planning to take the second one tomorrow, and hope there is some improvement in the score. Will be ordering Quantitative Review in the mean time...
Re: Practice for Quants - how do I go about it?   [#permalink] 03 May 2013, 00:02