Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Re: Preparing for Fall 2010 Applications Thread [#permalink]
13. Start saving some money now. Between GMAT Prep, Interviews, admitted students weekends, etc, you could easily spend over $5k. We have a poll on this forum somewhere to prove it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
14. Mentally prepare yourself for an emotional rollercoaster. Over the next few months, your mood will likely swing wildly between absolute confidence and complete doubt, between elation and dejection. Xanax helps.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
From our archives: Just to make this comprehensive, here is some advice for fall 08 applicants.

memo-to-all-those-applying-to-begin-fall-44024.html#p310572
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
15) Take into account that getting waitlisted is very much a potential outcome when applying somewhere. For example, it would be easy to say "Oh even though Wharton's my first choice, I'll apply to CBS early decision. Since I'll know whether I got into Wharton by the time my CBS deposit is due, I'll be able to choose". Wait lists totally throw that logic in the crapper!

In summary, don't assume you'll know where you are going by a certain date.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bostonsparky, as a triple waitlister, I totally agree with your point. It's totally thrown off my timetable.

The other thing that really surprised me was the (in my opinion, ridiculous) levels b-schools go to in order to get "diversity." As a minority, I certainly appreciate diversity, but b-schools are a little too crazy about it, down to the seat level.

As someone who applied for different graduate programs in the past (PhDs), I assumed that b-schools also just took the "best" applicants as well, based on grades, test scores, recommendations, etc. But in b-schools, you are competing for one of the defined number of slots, based on any number of personal factors, whether that's job industry, geography, gender, race, nationality.

It is especially annoying for people on waitlists. Why the heck do these schools need waitlists of hundreds of ppl for what will probably amount to twenty (in the case of GSB) to maybe a few dozen (HBS, W) slots? It's because you're just needed to plug a hole in the case of a vacancy. So if an African-American in finance turns them down, they'll pull another one from the WL. In the end, you realize that unlike other grad programs, a lot of the b-school admissions process is really out of your control.
GMAT Club Bot