Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Problems with Verbal Qs on MGMAT Tests? [#permalink]
Hahahah I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this one. Have you taken the actual GMAT yet, or are you still prepping? What about GMATPrep? How did you do on those compared to how you did on MGMAT? I'm still scoring relatively well on MGMAT Verbal, but I think I could do a lot better.

Yeah, there were quite a few times where when I was setting out to answer the question, none of the choices seemed ideal and I felt I had to choose the answer that was least wrong. Then when the answer was explained (which was never what I had picked), they got off on some sort of technicality, if even that. There were definitely times when I was still unconvinced about the correctness of the answer and could imagine a situation where GMAC (or whoever it is that writes the test) would face a lawsuit if this appeared on the exam because the answer was not clearly right. Am I being too extreme? Haha wasting precious exam time fantasizing about lawsuits?

Perhaps the issue is that I need to be more careful when reading all the questions and answers? I thought I was good at grammar and reasoning because I was an English major and breezed through the verbal questions in OG11. But maybe I just hadn't encountered the really hard stuff. I was relying for the most part on intuition and experience, but maybe I need to pick up the MGMAT Verbal Guides to help me learn the actual rules and strategies. I just don't want to be bogged down by unnecessary information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Oh thank god I saw this post. I was starting to freak out.

I scored 36 and 38 on the 2 MGMAT tests I took. I've never gone below 40 on any other practice tests (usually scoring 44-45). I've been spending all of my time on Quant since that's my weak area and I was starting to think I had no strong areas!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just a general observation of an old timer - ALL non official verbal tests/questions are off. Some are really off and others are just a little bit off but all of them are not the perfect GMAC logic/setup. It is very hard to get verbal right and that should mean 2 things to you:
1. If something looks crazy/off/unreasonable, good chance it is
2. You should review one of the Official Guides the last week or two before your test to "tune" your brain to that logic/questions, and explanations. This is esp helpful for situations when you end up having 2 good answers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
same here! I scored a 33 on verbal on an MGMAT test and on other tests had never gotten below 44...
I also was shocked because I've been spending most of my study time on quant..
after the test I decided to take a CAT break for a couple of weeks - and I focused on quant anyway, under the assumption that the MGMAT test is not representative of my actual verbal level... (i hope!).

But to be honest, that MGMAT score scared me enough that I have decided to do at least the last 40 OG verbal questions (I had planned on skipping them entirely) - better safe than sorry!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Yes I've decided to visit the OG too after this experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aaahhhhh - ok no more MGMAT CATs for me.

last week - 33 Verbal 43 Quant
this week - 43 Verbal 34 Quant

Does that make sense! I scored 43 on Quant 3 times in a row before this exam...

Someone please give me hope!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That right there is exactly what I needed! I feel a bit better now, hopefully enough to survive the next 2 weeks of studying before my actual exam.

I'm also a big fan of the MGMAT Prep material (see my first post above), it really is great, but the CATs just seem a bit off - I really hope they aren't representative of the real GMAT. Don't get me wrong, I have learned a lot from the MGMAT CATs but the scoring and the difficulty level seem odd.

I did the whole OG quant and the all of the PS questions of the OG12 between those 2 exams, and I went from a 43 to a 34... it just can't be right (or something is seriously wrong with me)!
GMAT Club Bot