Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile eval please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

profile eval please! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 06:52
Here is my profile for evaluation. Would love to hear any thoughts you might have!

Demographic: 27/M/American
Education:
- BA in Economics from Harvard, GPA 3.18, June 2006
- GMAT 730 (V44, Q47)

Fluent in German and French

Work: 5.5 years by Sept 2012
- currently: 3.8 years at an independent asset manager based in Zurich, Switzerland. Promoted twice. As V.P. now run the office on a day-to-day basis (5 staff). Helped founder restructure and refocus business, growing assets by 50% to ~$225mm as a result. Deal directly with clients in 15+ countries, i.e. in their homes, and therefore have learned how to connect with a wide-variety of people. Successful mentoring of three direct reports. Very much an international, entrepreneurial environment.

- previously: 1.7 years in equity research at Eaton Vance, a $200B mutual fund company in Boston. Worked with analysts and portfolio managers on several multi-billion dollar funds, focused on analyzing companies in the energy and IT industries to find potential investment opportunities. Promoted at the earliest possible time.

- summer jobs during college:
-research-writer for Let's Go Travel Guides in Switzerland (a best-selling travel guide)
-taught English/helped design and run an English-learning camp for ~50 children in Russia as a contractor for Moscow's largest English language school

Extracurriculars:
- volunteer co-coach a master's crew team in Zurich, led them to a Swiss championship in the Master's 8+ in 2010
- At Harvard, rowed on the nationally top-ranked lightweight crew team
- Was elected co-president of a 50+ member student group (student astronomers)

Goals:
- during MBA: as many courses on entrepreneurship and product manufacturing as possible, internship at a start-up
- post MBA: entrepreneurship, see below
- dream: want to start, grow and run a world-class manufacturing conglomerate and bring high-value manufacturing back to the US!

Schools:
- Harvard, Stanford, MIT Sloan

Would love to hear your thoughts! Also, I have my applications pretty much finished and am wondering if a 780+ GMAT would help in any significant way.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: profile eval please! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 09:35
Expert's post
Hi ack424,

Thanks for posting. To answer your question regarding the GMAT, if you believe you can improve your score by 50 points it will help, although considering your high GMAT score it will not make or break your application. Once you hit a certain GMAT score, which you have, any increase in score becomes increasingly less important.

With regards to your application, your undergraduate GPA is a bit low. You may want to read this case study of a candidate with a low GPA: http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case5/

For the schools you have targeted, particularly HBS, I want to emphasize that they are looking to cultivate leaders. I strongly recommend you emphasize your leadership throughout your application.

I have also listed school specific advice here:

Harvard: http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case5/
Stanford: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/stanford-advice/
MIT Sloan: http://www.stacyblackman.com/category/mit-sloan-advice/

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern
WE: General Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: profile eval please! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 05:04
Thanks Conrad!