Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dashrimp wrote:
Paul,

Thank you very much for your frank feedback.

I wanted to ask whether you could expand on what is considered "extracurricular" or "community" activities. My understanding was that these activities are of the "save the world" kind. But from what I'm reading in various forums, it looks like many people are including their athletic achievements as well as one-off type of community events. I'm trying to understand where does the line lie (if there is such a line) that divides community activities from just acts of kindness that don't mean much to B-schools. For some reason I get a feeling that unless these activities were performed in an organized fashion, they don't "count" toward boosting one's profile. For example, I feel that if someone is helping elder neighbors with various tasks, then it doesn't mean anything to B-schools. However, if the same thing is done in a local church/clinic/etc. then it is viewed as a "great community spirit."

So, in essence, I'm asking two questions:

1. How much do personal achievements outside of work (such as athletics) impact applicant's profile?

2. What determines whether a deed of kindness/philanthropy/selflessness is considered "community" involvement?

Thanks in advance.

dashrimp,

1. Personal achievements outside of work are an important part of your application but not as important as work achievements. The weight they're given varies from school to school. Community or social impact achievements weigh more than hobby or athletic achievements, though if the latter are unusual enough and show leadership and passion they can partly compensate for weak community activities.

2. You're right, organized and sustained community work trumps one-off activities and "random acts of kindness." The latter may be all that some people have and in some cases those stories may be worth telling. Even a story about how you sacrificed for family members (and who wouldn't do that?) can help you if the degree of sacrifice was unusual. The quality of the story itself matters. Keep in mind that schools value organized community activity more than "random acts of kindness" in part because these organized stories can also show leadership and teamwork in addition to your social conscience.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]