Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 23:44 It is currently 12 May 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kchen wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

about my post-MBA goal, that is another thing i am trying to find out. would you please give me some suggestion?

Information system management:
Pros: I like to do something that is IT related. I have BS in computer science. I did some computer programming related work at my current job.
Cons: However, the technical experience i have regarding computer programming is far less than anyone who works as a actual computer programmer. i am afraid this will make me a lot less competitive at work.

Is it true that being in a management level doesn't require much of the basic programming skill? is it more important to oversee programmers to get to the project goals than the actual technical work?

Or

Marketing:
PRos: I like marketing, have been doing some marketing related project in my current job.
Cons: I never took any course related to marketing back in the college. i kinda just learn thing myself as i work.

Is it important to have at least some academic background, or some solid work experience in marketing (like in some big marketing firm) in order to concentrate in marketing?

My last question: Does what i learn in the MBA program enough for a future job? or I need stuff i learn from MBA, plus either previous work experience or undergrad curriculum? like i said in the original post, i didn't have a academic background in business management, and i didn't really learn a lot in my job because it is a real small company (none of my supervisor or business owner had any business degree). that is why i am kinda uncertain about what should i pick for concentration, and post-MBA goal.

thanks for u time!

Kchen,

My recent book MBA Admission for Smarties deals with a lot of your questions and obviously goes in to much greater depth than I can here. It is available on Amazon and is in paperback and Kindle editions. While I don't claim objectivity, it does address your questions well.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i just downloaded to kindle, before i read the whole book, would you please let me know which part (pages?) in the book which talks about the concerns that i have?

thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
kchen wrote:
i just downloaded to kindle, before i read the whole book, would you please let me know which part (pages?) in the book which talks about the concerns that i have?

thanks!

Chapters 1, 2, and 4 deal with goals and and how they should guide you in choosing schools. Chapter 3 is about how your qualifications influence that decision. The second part of the book (chapters 5-9) deal with the actual application process -- essays, resume, letters of rec, and interviews. Chapter 10 has tips for specific groups of applicants.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot