Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 05:38 It is currently 14 May 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
swissknife87 wrote:
1. what is your work experience like? What roles and responsibilities have you had? How has your career progressed? What are your key achievements? Any leadership examples?

: My work experience initially involved sales & business development in the clean energy consulting business. This company was a small consulting firm so I got the hands on experience of day to day meeting with clients, understanding their demands, executing the project which involved writing reports & making analysis etc. Then I switched to a MNC where my roles are Business Development, New Business Development, Policy Research, Market size analysis, Managing the clean energy projects, writing reports, representing at conferences etc. I am managing a team of 3, who are helping me in executing the projects. I have helped in multi-folding the business in a span of less than 2 years. My work also involves communicating with funding agencies & financial institutions, contract & financial negotiations with the buyers & client servicing. Last year I helped in achieving 130% of the targets for my vertical with majorly satisfied client feedbacks.

2. What about your personality outside work? DO you have any interests that you are passionate about? Any volunteering work?
: Apart from work I am a traveler. I also have passion for natural photography & I have participated in various photography contests. I have volunteered for fund raising during disasters for a local NGO.

3. What do you want to do after the MBA? What are your career goals?
: I have deep interest in working for energy sector projects. Especially clean energy & climate change projects. I want to get involved in policy development, technology transfer & managing clean energy projects. My motive is to drive finance towards the clean energy especially for the least developed countries.

4. Roughly, what GMAT score are you expecting?
: I am yet to start my preparation but I am targeting around 730. Given my strong mathematics background & ordinary English I can manage to get around 650-690.

Hope this will help in evaluating my profile.

You have a well rounded experience in your field, and that is backed by good achievements. This is a positive sign. However, there is not much clarity on how much your post-MBA role will be different from the current role. If these roles sound similar and your post- MBA position looks achievable within the next 2-3 years, then you do not need an MBA.

Therefore, you will need to refine your career goals further and express a wider gulf between the current and desired roles. It should come across loud and clear that you need to acquire certain skills/knowledge/tools inorder to get to that next position, and that this will happen via the MBA.

With regards to your GMAT score - engineering candidates tend to fare better in the quant section as comapred to the verbal, which is in line with what you are expecting. But the b-schools prefer both these scores being in close vicinity to each other. Try to reduce this gap by prepping more for the verbal section (that will also make your score higer).

Namita, MBA Decoder
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

You may also gauge your chances of getting admit in a top business school by trying the tool https://bit.ly/13TQbrF. Its really interesting.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Cheers!
Neha Singh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

My profile looks like the following:

Name: Sridhar
Nationality: Indian

Work Experience:

Total experience in years: 5 years and 1 month

Company worked for: Infosys Limited

Brief description of job:
Joined Infosys in July 2008 as a fresher and underwent generic and stream specific (Network) training in Infosys Mysore Campus till Jan 2009.

Systems Engineer – Jan 2009 to March 2010
Senior Systems Engineer – April 2010 to Sep 2011
Technology Analyst – Oct 2011 to present
Expecting to become Technology Lead in Oct 2013

International Experience – 13 months in Paris, France at the client location (worked on behalf of Infosys)
Led a team of 5 in Paris (client location) between April 2012 and May 2013.
Currently leading a team of 4 for a different project.

Education Background:

10th Standard
School – Lawrence School, Lovedale (Nilgiris District)
Board – CBSE
Percentage– 81.8%

12th Standard
School – SRV Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram
Board – Tamil Nadu Higher Secondary Education
Percentage – 94%

Under Graduation
College – Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering (SVCE), Affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
Discipline – Electronics & Communication Engineering
Percentage – 63%

GMAT:
Date Taken – 27-01-2012
Total – 660
Quants – 48 (78%)
Verbal – 33 (67%)
AWA – 5.5

Extra Curricular Activities:

• A passionate runner. Completed two semi-marathons and one 10 km run in Paris, France.
• Completed one 10 km run for a NGO, Kaagaz India in Bangalore.
• Completed three levels of LA Cuban Salsa from the Russian Cultural Center, Chennai in 2009
• Completed the short term type writing course. Can type at 45 words per minute without looking at the keyboard.
• Played the bugle and trumpet for the school band between class 7 and 10.
• Vice President of the Leo Club, a social club in Engineering College
• Came first in Tamil debate competition in class 4 (1995)
• Came second in cumulative General Knowledge Tests in class 6(1997).

Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know the top B schools that I can apply to, preferably in Singapore or the USA.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards,
Sridhar
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi Sridhar,

You have decent profile with good work experience along with international exposure. Your career growth is solid and that shows your team handling and leadership skills which most of the top b-schools look for in prospective applicant. Also you have balanced extracurricular activities to back up your strong candidature. You need strong GMAT may be 700+ to target top US b-schools and increase your chances. So plan to retake GMAT parallel to application preparation. You can visit https://goo.gl/PJJU3 to know which b-schools you can target with your current profile. Let me know if you have any questions...

Regards,
Neha Singh

sridhar9504 wrote:
Hi,

My profile looks like the following:

Name: Sridhar
Nationality: Indian

Work Experience:

Total experience in years: 5 years and 1 month

Company worked for: Infosys Limited

Brief description of job:
Joined Infosys in July 2008 as a fresher and underwent generic and stream specific (Network) training in Infosys Mysore Campus till Jan 2009.

Systems Engineer – Jan 2009 to March 2010
Senior Systems Engineer – April 2010 to Sep 2011
Technology Analyst – Oct 2011 to present
Expecting to become Technology Lead in Oct 2013

International Experience – 13 months in Paris, France at the client location (worked on behalf of Infosys)
Led a team of 5 in Paris (client location) between April 2012 and May 2013.
Currently leading a team of 4 for a different project.

Education Background:

10th Standard
School – Lawrence School, Lovedale (Nilgiris District)
Board – CBSE
Percentage– 81.8%

12th Standard
School – SRV Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram
Board – Tamil Nadu Higher Secondary Education
Percentage – 94%

Under Graduation
College – Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering (SVCE), Affiliated to Anna University, Chennai
Discipline – Electronics & Communication Engineering
Percentage – 63%

GMAT:
Date Taken – 27-01-2012
Total – 660
Quants – 48 (78%)
Verbal – 33 (67%)
AWA – 5.5

Extra Curricular Activities:

• A passionate runner. Completed two semi-marathons and one 10 km run in Paris, France.
• Completed one 10 km run for a NGO, Kaagaz India in Bangalore.
• Completed three levels of LA Cuban Salsa from the Russian Cultural Center, Chennai in 2009
• Completed the short term type writing course. Can type at 45 words per minute without looking at the keyboard.
• Played the bugle and trumpet for the school band between class 7 and 10.
• Vice President of the Leo Club, a social club in Engineering College
• Came first in Tamil debate competition in class 4 (1995)
• Came second in cumulative General Knowledge Tests in class 6(1997).

Could you please evaluate my profile and let me know the top B schools that I can apply to, preferably in Singapore or the USA.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Regards,
Sridhar
GMAT Club Bot