Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink]
I dont think NOVA matters, google the phrase "alternative transcript" search for it here as well, there are many people with even worse GPAs that get into decent schools. Theres a girl on here who had a 1.87 and got into Cornell, UNC, INSEAD and Ross!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I guess I could retake some courses that I didn't do too well (failed) in GMU. I made some pretty dumb decisions though, I got a degree in Economics, but for some reason I took advanced Calculus 1 and 2 and passed them, but then tried my luck and failed adv. Calculus 3. Should I try and retake that as it replaces my old grade? I don't know if I remember enough of 1 and 2 to beat 3 though. Also, I didn't do too well in University Physics, would retaking that look good? I'm guessing if I retook those two classes and got A's in them I could raise my GPA to a 2.6. What kind of classes could I take at Nova that would look impressive? Maybe discrete math?
Current Student
Send PM
is you degree complete? how can you replace a grade you retake if you have already graduated?
It would be wise to take classes you didnt do well in or havent taken.
Its a way to ally an MBA program's greatest fear with low GPAs, can he handle the material?
You have to show them that this wont happen again if they admit you.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, Imahmood. I just wanted to add that I am afraid that the string of bad luck - a business failure, a bankruptcy, etc. - tend to drag down an application. Even if you're asked about a failure in your application essays, I would not recommend writing about these since they will give a bad flavor to your application.

The top programs seek people who have been successful in their every endeavor. They can have made mistakes certainly but they must have consistently come out on top (the theory being that lucky people tend to remain lucky, I guess). So far your story does not sound like that, so I do recommend you focus on your successes in your application instead.

There were also a few "blanks" in your profile description that I would like you to keep in mind as you select schools:
1. years of work experience/age - you should not exceed the average of the program by much or the schools will fear that you will not fit in or benefit from the program
2. goals - without clear, realistic goals in fields that the MBA program prepares you for, you will not get in
Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
310-815-9553
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, thanks Jennifer. I'll be sure to keep out the negative stuff from my application, I did want to mention I'm 27 years old, so hopefully it's not too late to apply to b-schools is it? I'm looking for a fresh start, but I'm going to try and get a better GMAT score. I had some bad luck while taking my GMAT, because of a bulging disc in my back by the time I got around to verbal my back was really aching so I had went through it quickly and finished it 25 mins early. I'll make sure to write about my successes though when applying to b-schools. My goal for going to b-school is learning business strategy and then getting a job in consulting coming out.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
lmahmood wrote:
Hi, thanks Jennifer. I'll be sure to keep out the negative stuff from my application, I did want to mention I'm 27 years old, so hopefully it's not too late to apply to b-schools is it? I'm looking for a fresh start, but I'm going to try and get a better GMAT score. I had some bad luck while taking my GMAT, because of a bulging disc in my back by the time I got around to verbal my back was really aching so I had went through it quickly and finished it 25 mins early. I'll make sure to write about my successes though when applying to b-schools. My goal for going to b-school is learning business strategy and then getting a job in consulting coming out.

Hi, Imahmood. Yes, 27 is the right general age to be applying to these programs and consulting is a reasonable goal. Keep in mind that the programs will not consider a top consulting position within your reach unless you have a high GMAT score since those firms use GMAT score in their candidacy evaluations.
GMAT Club Bot