Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2006, 22:49
Hi Paul and Linda,

I would greatly appreciate it if you can give evaluate my profile and give me an idea of what schools you suggest I apply to for entry in Fall 2007

Age: 25 yrs. old, 26 yrs. old when I apply, and 27 yrs. old by Fall 2007
Undergraduate: University of California, Berkeley (Walter A. Haas School of Business)
GPA: Overall 3.646
Undergraduate: Diablo Valley College
GPA: 4.0
GMAT: 720 (96th) Q:82nd V:96th AWA: 6.0
Undergraduate Extracurricular Activities: Student Government, Econ Tutor, Volunteer at Hospital in marketing and MD services department, Started investment club. Started my own event production business during my senior year promoting parties at San Francisco Nightclubs (lost all my money:)
Current Extracurricular Activities: East Bay Haas Alumni Network (board member), Unofficial mentor at a Ministry to young chinese immigrants at community college, Managing director of my grandmother's foundation (working on opening a thrift store someday).

Work Experience:
After graduation, I worked as a janitor at a world renowned nightclub in San Francisco. In two months, I became a resident DJ and contracted to promote one of five rooms in the club. I was the youngest resident DJ in the club's history. I played for crowds of over 300+ and a good number of nights my room did the most business. I did this for one year.
At then end of 2003, i started my own financial advisory firm. I did not have any business for a whole year, but worked hard organizing and developing my business. After a year, I started to specialize in tenant-in-common offerings for high-net worth clients. After making almost no money in 2004, this past year I made approx. $300k in gross income for myself. I expect to do at least half of the business in the coming year that I did last year. So, I feel my business will do well for these next two years.

WHY: I currently specialize in selling "investment product," but now I am starting to gather assets for management. Currently, I outsource all portfolio management, but someday I would like to run a multi-employee firm where everything is done in house. I do not want to be a financial guru rather than a great owner and operator of a large financial advisory business hiring brilliant people to admistor the portfolios. I have a great deal of hard skills from my undergrad, but not only do I want to develop more hard skills, but also want to really improve my soft skills in leadership and networking.

WHY NOW: Even with my small book of clients it will be difficult to leave for two years. It will only get harder as my business grow and most likely too detrimental to my business in the future.

I am looking to target seven schools and so I would appreciate your opinion. I really have a hard time figuring out how competitive I am because I picked up the Harvard Business School Essays and you read about folks who have done some pretty outstanding things. I know I would do well in any program, but of course getting in is really the hard part.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2006, 10:32
Expert's post
dannyh1980 wrote:
Hi Paul and Linda,

I would greatly appreciate it if you can give evaluate my profile and give me an idea of what schools you suggest I apply to for entry in Fall 2007

Age: 25 yrs. old, 26 yrs. old when I apply, and 27 yrs. old by Fall 2007
Undergraduate: University of California, Berkeley (Walter A. Haas School of Business)
GPA: Overall 3.646
Undergraduate: Diablo Valley College
GPA: 4.0
GMAT: 720 (96th) Q:82nd V:96th AWA: 6.0
Undergraduate Extracurricular Activities: Student Government, Econ Tutor, Volunteer at Hospital in marketing and MD services department, Started investment club. Started my own event production business during my senior year promoting parties at San Francisco Nightclubs (lost all my money:)
Current Extracurricular Activities: East Bay Haas Alumni Network (board member), Unofficial mentor at a Ministry to young chinese immigrants at community college, Managing director of my grandmother's foundation (working on opening a thrift store someday).

Work Experience:
After graduation, I worked as a janitor at a world renowned nightclub in San Francisco. In two months, I became a resident DJ and contracted to promote one of five rooms in the club. I was the youngest resident DJ in the club's history. I played for crowds of over 300+ and a good number of nights my room did the most business. I did this for one year.
At then end of 2003, i started my own financial advisory firm. I did not have any business for a whole year, but worked hard organizing and developing my business. After a year, I started to specialize in tenant-in-common offerings for high-net worth clients. After making almost no money in 2004, this past year I made approx. $300k in gross income for myself. I expect to do at least half of the business in the coming year that I did last year. So, I feel my business will do well for these next two years.

WHY: I currently specialize in selling "investment product," but now I am starting to gather assets for management. Currently, I outsource all portfolio management, but someday I would like to run a multi-employee firm where everything is done in house. I do not want to be a financial guru rather than a great owner and operator of a large financial advisory business hiring brilliant people to admistor the portfolios. I have a great deal of hard skills from my undergrad, but not only do I want to develop more hard skills, but also want to really improve my soft skills in leadership and networking.

WHY NOW: Even with my small book of clients it will be difficult to leave for two years. It will only get harder as my business grow and most likely too detrimental to my business in the future.

I am looking to target seven schools and so I would appreciate your opinion. I really have a hard time figuring out how competitive I am because I picked up the Harvard Business School Essays and you read about folks who have done some pretty outstanding things. I know I would do well in any program, but of course getting in is really the hard part.

Dannyh1980,

You have an intriguing profile; I like the DJ story. You should stand out in a positive way. Given your finance goals, I would suggest the following schools--

--Wharton
--Chicago
--Columbia
--NYU Stern
--Yale
--MIT
--UCLA
--Haas

This could obviously be tweaked but I think it's decent starting point.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2006, 12:47
Thanks Paul!

I was not very clear in my post, but I am looking for a program with a strong entrepreneurship program with a respectable finance program. Would your suggestions be any different?

Thank you very much,
Daniel H.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2006, 11:49
Expert's post
dannyh1980 wrote:
Thanks Paul!

I was not very clear in my post, but I am looking for a program with a strong entrepreneurship program with a respectable finance program. Would your suggestions be any different?

Thank you very much,
Daniel H.

Daniel,

In that case, I would leave Wharton, Haas, and MIT on your list (they would rise to the top since they're excellent in both entrepreneurship and finance), and I would add Michigan, USC, and CMU. HBS, Stanford, and Kellogg are also superb in both areas but they would be long shots.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog