Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 05:49
Hi Paul,

I have pretty much been intimated by all these impressive profiles on the forum, and begin to question what my real chance is in getting into one of the top MBA programs

I am a Chinese Canadian female, 26 years old, turning 27 very soon. Will be applying next year for 2008.

I have lived and worked in 4 different countries so far - grew up in Canada but also lived a few years in Hong Kong when i was a teenager, worked in Germany and Spain after getting my degree back home in Canada.

Academic background:
I have a degree in Arts and Science (double major European studies and modern languages - German and Italian), graduted with high distinction and received serveral scholarships. I also participated in university exchange and went to Berlin in my third year.

Work experience:
After graduation, I moved to germany and worked in the logistics industry for 3 years, started off in customer service/account management and went on to project management and sales and marketing. No direct management experience

After that, i was transfered to spain to work in shipping (sister company of previous logistic organisation) my current role is pricing executive for the mediterranean region. No direct management but I indirectly manage and establish business plan for the sale organisations of over 10 countries and have a solid performance in my job.

Extra-curricular activities:
I was very active in university, was a member of
-women's issues network, helped organise events etc
-was a counselor at the sexual education center
-volunteer at an exchange organisation (i participated in an exchange program and went to Germany when i was in high school)
- worked part-time at the career center in my last year of university

unfortunately i haven't had any volunteering experience after school, but i am very active within the company. I am organisation a team-building event for the office this year, as well as the coming christmas party.

I haven't done my gmat yet, but my aim is to get around 700 or more

What are my chances in getting into

Kellog
LBS
INSEA
HBS

since i am aiming at starting the program in 2008, is there anything i can do to improve my chances?

thanks a lot
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 14:49
curious2 wrote:
Hi Paul,

I have pretty much been intimated by all these impressive profiles on the forum, and begin to question what my real chance is in getting into one of the top MBA programs

I am a Chinese Canadian female, 26 years old, turning 27 very soon. Will be applying next year for 2008.

I have lived and worked in 4 different countries so far - grew up in Canada but also lived a few years in Hong Kong when i was a teenager, worked in Germany and Spain after getting my degree back home in Canada.

Academic background:
I have a degree in Arts and Science (double major European studies and modern languages - German and Italian), graduted with high distinction and received serveral scholarships. I also participated in university exchange and went to Berlin in my third year.

Work experience:
After graduation, I moved to germany and worked in the logistics industry for 3 years, started off in customer service/account management and went on to project management and sales and marketing. No direct management experience

After that, i was transfered to spain to work in shipping (sister company of previous logistic organisation) my current role is pricing executive for the mediterranean region. No direct management but I indirectly manage and establish business plan for the sale organisations of over 10 countries and have a solid performance in my job.

Extra-curricular activities:
I was very active in university, was a member of
-women's issues network, helped organise events etc
-was a counselor at the sexual education center
-volunteer at an exchange organisation (i participated in an exchange program and went to Germany when i was in high school)
- worked part-time at the career center in my last year of university

unfortunately i haven't had any volunteering experience after school, but i am very active within the company. I am organisation a team-building event for the office this year, as well as the coming christmas party.

I haven't done my gmat yet, but my aim is to get around 700 or more

What are my chances in getting into

Kellog
LBS
INSEA
HBS

since i am aiming at starting the program in 2008, is there anything i can do to improve my chances?

thanks a lot

Curious2,

If you get the 700 or higher GMAT you will have a decent chance at Kellogg, LBS, and INSEAD and a less-than-decent chance at HBS provided you do the following:

--seek out more leadership opportunities at work
--find a community organization (hopefully not the typical pre-MBA ones) and commit to it in a big way, i.e., get a leadership role and make things happen. Don't just tutor or help build houses -- lead something (or alternatively *start* a community organization)

The latter option will enable you to tackle the only two negatives in your otherwise quite distinctive and promising profile: leadership and recent community. You are already a strong candidate and could get into some good B-schools as you are, but will have to ratchet it up a notch for HBS etc.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2006, 07:35
Hi Paul,

I finally took the GMAT and scored 740 (Q49 and V41), I am just wondering what my chances will be if I apply to LBS R2 admission for 2007. Do you think I have a good chance despite my lack of recent community and direct management experience?

Anything I need to specifically focus on in my essays to stand out?

appreciate your advise
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 13:50
curious2 wrote:
Hi Paul,

I finally took the GMAT and scored 740 (Q49 and V41), I am just wondering what my chances will be if I apply to LBS R2 admission for 2007. Do you think I have a good chance despite my lack of recent community and direct management experience?

Anything I need to specifically focus on in my essays to stand out?

appreciate your advise

curious2,

Congratulations! I think you have a decent to good chance at LBS round 2 with your GMAT and profile. I would definitely emphasize your international background (it's one of your big strengths). I would also emphasize leadership inside and outside work as much as you can, and I would be sure to give them as mature and focused a post-MBA goal statement as you can. You have some negatives but your positives are quite strong. You may want to review Accepted.com's recent chat with LBS's admissions director.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 05:26
Hi Paul,

I received an interview invitation from LBS last week!!!! Do you know more or less what percentage of the interviewed candidates LBS tend to accept in round 2?
Anything i need to focus on in my interview? what do i need to do to ace the interivew?

thanks
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 20:01
curious2 wrote:
Hi Paul,

I received an interview invitation from LBS last week!!!! Do you know more or less what percentage of the interviewed candidates LBS tend to accept in round 2?
Anything i need to focus on in my interview? what do i need to do to ace the interivew?

thanks

curious2,

Sorry, I do not have that data. I recommend really selling them on the Why London question. Show them you know their program back to front, name all the LBS people you've interacted with regarding the program, show them that your goals and LBS's offerings are a tight fit.

Those are the key things. Also, be ready to give them plenty of leadership stories. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /