Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation: 7 years Work ex, 6 years in Europe. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your detailed profile.

You have extensive leadership experiences with early accomplishments substantiated by concrete results. When you work on the essays, it would also be good to complement your accomplishments by discussing the challenges of creating and implementing new strategies and processes, with regards to the human factors. These will enrich your essays and engage even those with non-technical backgrounds.

Doing volunteer work will help. I encourage you to choose the ones where you can leverage your passions/skills, you would enjoy it more and be a better fit with your profile, as the length of time involved will also be a consideration when readers evaluate your profile. This, it would help to show some continuity with a cause even though it is with different organizations.

Doing well on the GMAT by scoring at or above the average should help your chances at your target schools. You are at the right age/level of experience to start applying.

Wish you all the best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Scott,

Thanks for the review. I am looking for some volunteer work now. Looking at my experience and exposure, what you think should be minimum GMAT i shall target.

BR,
Saurabh

PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Prabhuiitr09 wrote:
Hello

Can you help to evaluate my profile and clearing my doubts?

GMAT- not taken yet. Plan to give in mid May 2016. My target is around 710-720.
Age -29 Yr. (01.03.1987)
Indian male.
Work experience 7year (6 yr. abroad, Europe)

My goal for doing an MBA: I am currently holding a position in middle management in a small scale industry. I have managed projects. I am a good technologist but i feel myself lacking in my skill set as a manager.
I wish to broaden and enhance my skills so that i can take up more responsibility in a larger firms. Also change the field of work and move towards Strategic management or consultancy.

I wish to apply for ‘1 year programs’, Sept-2017 intake and Round 1.
Target business schools: in Europe (INSEAD, IE, and HEC) as well as Indian business schools (ISB, IIM A-PGPX)

Education
2005-2009: B.Tech (pulp and paper engineering.) From Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. GPA 3.2

2008: The summer internship project, a 10 weeks and fully sponsored activity, was at the Scion, Rotorua, New Zealand – a research facility for forest industries.

Work experience
Since July 2010:- Working with Horizon Pulp and Paper ltd., Estonia (Tolaran Group, Singapore)

Since Dec2015:- Supervising a team of 53 people as a Department head of the pulping unit.
• The department consists of Cooking, washing, screening, thickening, Evaporation, causticizing, lime kiln, and Tall oil.
• Youngest in the company to hold a managerial position,
• Also youngest in the department.

Dec 2014- Dec 2015:-Energy saving coordinator
• Implemented 19 energy saving initiatives.
• An investment of € 171 K.
• Resulted an annual saving of € 330 K.

April 2013-Dec 2014:- Project manager: “Wood yard project”.
• Conceptualized and spearheaded the project from the scratch.
• An investment of € 4 M.
• Worked as project manager in parallel with Lime Kiln project.
• Resulted an annual saving of € 700 K, by improving the chip quality and lower wood wastage.
• Supervised a team of 32, belonging to 5 nationalities and 7 organizations

May 2012-March 2014:- Assistant project manager for “The Lime Kiln Project”.
• Supervised a team of 35 belonging to 9 nationality.
• A total investment of: € 12 M
• An environmental project.

July 2010-March 2012:- Assistant project manager for “The Cooking Plant Project”.
• To replace conventional cooking process with Metso’s Super-batch cooking process
• Budget of 9 M€.
• The commissioning was done in record time of 14 months.
• The project resulted in a saving of 2.5 M€ in terms of lower energy uses by 60%.

July 2009-June 2010:-Worked with Yash papers Ltd, India as project manager.
• Conceptualized eucalyptus pulp line (RDH technology) to substitute purchased pulp
• In parallel supervised a team of 25 employees for 6 different processes as production executive.
• Improved Pulp washing (chemical loss reduction by 28%) And raw material, ash reduction 17%.
• Designed and supervised the installation of blow heat recovery for flash steam.

Hobbies and extracurricular activity
• During the college years, I had organized festivals, and worked on various responsible positions which involved communication, organizational and leadership skills. For example, pioneered a cultural festival for our campus.
• Hobbies: adventure activities such as sea-kayaking, White water rafting, hiking & cycling
• Hobbies: photography and Aurora watching.

Doubts
• I have not done any volunteer work, so far. Would it help to do it now?
• Is it too late for thinking to apply for round one deadline, I mean for application and essay.
• 6 -7 year work experience for ISB collage, Is it too much?
• Could you recommend some collages apart from above mentioned, where I can fit easily?

Thanks for the profile details. If you do some extra-curriculars / volunteer work, you should have a good chance of getting into those schools. You have the right amount of experience, not too much. It is also the right time to start thinking about applications.

You could also look at Cambridge and Oxford as well as ESSEC.

Send me an email if you want to discuss your profile further. Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Jon,

Thanks for the comments and review.

I am looking for some volunteer works that i can do along with work and GMAT preparations.

yes GPA at graduation is not impressive. But The School is actually one of the top school in INDIA and a very reputed one.

Can you recommend, what shall be the bare minimum of GMAT score for me?

BR,
Saurabh

JonAdmissionado wrote:
Prabhuiitr09 wrote:
Hello

Can you help to evaluate my profile and clearing my doubts?

GMAT- not taken yet. Plan to give in mid May 2016. My target is around 710-720.
Age -29 Yr. (01.03.1987)
Indian male.
Work experience 7year (6 yr. abroad, Europe)

My goal for doing an MBA: I am currently holding a position in middle management in a small scale industry. I have managed projects. I am a good technologist but i feel myself lacking in my skill set as a manager.
I wish to broaden and enhance my skills so that i can take up more responsibility in a larger firms. Also change the field of work and move towards Strategic management or consultancy.

I wish to apply for ‘1 year programs’, Sept-2017 intake and Round 1.
Target business schools: in Europe (INSEAD, IE, and HEC) as well as Indian business schools (ISB, IIM A-PGPX)

Education
2005-2009: B.Tech (pulp and paper engineering.) From Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. GPA 3.2

2008: The summer internship project, a 10 weeks and fully sponsored activity, was at the Scion, Rotorua, New Zealand – a research facility for forest industries.

Work experience
Since July 2010:- Working with Horizon Pulp and Paper ltd., Estonia (Tolaran Group, Singapore)

Since Dec2015:- Supervising a team of 53 people as a Department head of the pulping unit.
• The department consists of Cooking, washing, screening, thickening, Evaporation, causticizing, lime kiln, and Tall oil.
• Youngest in the company to hold a managerial position,
• Also youngest in the department.

Dec 2014- Dec 2015:-Energy saving coordinator
• Implemented 19 energy saving initiatives.
• An investment of € 171 K.
• Resulted an annual saving of € 330 K.

April 2013-Dec 2014:- Project manager: “Wood yard project”.
• Conceptualized and spearheaded the project from the scratch.
• An investment of € 4 M.
• Worked as project manager in parallel with Lime Kiln project.
• Resulted an annual saving of € 700 K, by improving the chip quality and lower wood wastage.
• Supervised a team of 32, belonging to 5 nationalities and 7 organizations

May 2012-March 2014:- Assistant project manager for “The Lime Kiln Project”.
• Supervised a team of 35 belonging to 9 nationality.
• A total investment of: € 12 M
• An environmental project.

July 2010-March 2012:- Assistant project manager for “The Cooking Plant Project”.
• To replace conventional cooking process with Metso’s Super-batch cooking process
• Budget of 9 M€.
• The commissioning was done in record time of 14 months.
• The project resulted in a saving of 2.5 M€ in terms of lower energy uses by 60%.

July 2009-June 2010:-Worked with Yash papers Ltd, India as project manager.
• Conceptualized eucalyptus pulp line (RDH technology) to substitute purchased pulp
• In parallel supervised a team of 25 employees for 6 different processes as production executive.
• Improved Pulp washing (chemical loss reduction by 28%) And raw material, ash reduction 17%.
• Designed and supervised the installation of blow heat recovery for flash steam.

Hobbies and extracurricular activity
• During the college years, I had organized festivals, and worked on various responsible positions which involved communication, organizational and leadership skills. For example, pioneered a cultural festival for our campus.
• Hobbies: adventure activities such as sea-kayaking, White water rafting, hiking & cycling
• Hobbies: photography and Aurora watching.

Doubts
• I have not done any volunteer work, so far. Would it help to do it now?
• Is it too late for thinking to apply for round one deadline, I mean for application and essay.
• 6 -7 year work experience for ISB collage, Is it too much?
• Could you recommend some collages apart from above mentioned, where I can fit easily?

Hey dude,
Good to hear from you!
So overalll to keep things short - if you hit that GMAT I think you will have a shot. I'd add a few more schools to the list, but you are off to a good start.

What I like most in your profile is:
- International experience
- clear progress
- you are always the "youngest" guy doing stuff.

All of this should work to your advantage.

On the weakness side:
- so-s0 GPA from a non Top school
- Indian Male (sorry! it's not your fault! I know! :) )
- No ECs/Volunteer work

For the last bit, YES!!!! Get started now on SOMETHING! Anything! Show that you know that it counts and that it matters.

That and expanding your school list to add few safe schools to the mic should do the job.
Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Edison,

Thanks you for your review and Tip on Essay. I will keep them in mind.

Regarding the Volunteer work. When you talk of continuity, Do you mean that i take up some kind of (specific kind) activity and keep at it till the interviews?

About the scores you say above average score should enhance the chances. what do you think shall be the bare minimum for me.

BR,
Saurabh

VeritasPrepEdison wrote:

You have extensive leadership experiences with early accomplishments substantiated by concrete results. When you work on the essays, it would also be good to complement your accomplishments by discussing the challenges of creating and implementing new strategies and processes, with regards to the human factors. These will enrich your essays and engage even those with non-technical backgrounds.

Doing volunteer work will help. I encourage you to choose the ones where you can leverage your passions/skills, you would enjoy it more and be a better fit with your profile, as the length of time involved will also be a consideration when readers evaluate your profile. This, it would help to show some continuity with a cause even though it is with different organizations.

Doing well on the GMAT by scoring at or above the average should help your chances at your target schools. You are at the right age/level of experience to start applying.

Wish you all the best!
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
prabhakar09 wrote:
Dear Edison,

Thanks you for your review and Tip on Essay. I will keep them in mind.

Regarding the Volunteer work. When you talk of continuity, Do you mean that i take up some kind of (specific kind) activity and keep at it till the interviews?

About the scores you say above average score should enhance the chances. what do you think shall be the bare minimum for me.

BR,
Saurabh

VeritasPrepEdison wrote:

Wish you all the best!

Hi Saurabh, regarding the continuity of activities, I mean take on an expanded role with some of your passions, interests, and organizations.

I have read on another thread that you have scored 690 on the GMAT, this is within range at your target schools. As you are aware, scoring higher would help, but your current score does not exclude you from consideration.
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Regarding your question on continuity and how you can strengthen your profile, below is a blog entry with some ideas on this. Hope you find this helpful:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/05 ... -6-months/

Steps to a Stronger MBA Profile in 6 Months

Once you have finally decided to pursue an MBA, you will naturally start assessing your chances of actually being admitted. Undergraduate academics and GMAT score aside, most business school applicants will fret as to whether their extracurricular activities and overall profile are impressive enough for their dream schools, especially as these aspects of an applicant’s profile are not as straightforward to quantify and compare.

How then can you improve your profile in the last six months?

Should you rush to get registered in additional community organizations? Should you learn a new language or a musical instrument? Should you go on a trip to the wilderness or join a religious mission?

As a rule, the Admissions Committee will consider the length of time and level of involvement with the activities you participate in when they weigh these as part of your profile (just as any potential employer would during a job interview). On your end, you should consider the limited time remaining towards the deadline, and the demands of polishing up your whole application package while focusing on fulfilling your current work and personal responsibilities.

Below are some practical tips to strengthen your profile:

1) Do More with Current Involvements

You may feel that your current activities are not as impressive as they really are and, thus, do not make you stand out as an applicant. One way to address this is to look for the chance to introduce something new to your profile that would make your potential future contributions to the school unique.

For instance, you may be the leader of your undergraduate alumni branch – from this, you can find an innovative way to link up across other chapters, and strengthen alumni engagement and knowledge transfers across your entire network. Or, you may be involved with donation drives for the less fortunate; try to find new ways to boost your funds or at least organize activities that can better showcase your leadership and teamwork skills.

Initiatives such as these give more credence and value to your current activities, without having to start from scratch.

2) Do the Same Thing for a Different Audience

This should be relatively easy to do – look for some opportunities to leverage your long-running interest or hobby to demonstrate more involvement and impact on the community. As an example, you may be singer who performs regularly at a club. You may use this talent and volunteer to sing for several worthwhile causes. In this way, you can enrich your stories about your singing talent (or at the very least, the audacity to perform in front of an audience!) and make them more interesting for the Admissions Committee.

Taking this point further, let’s say your lack of international exposure is perceived to be a weakness – look for ways to at least show how open-minded and internationally aware you are by getting involved with the expatriate community, nearby refugee camps, or by performing with multi-cultural groups.

Use these tips to help strengthen your business school applications and set your current activities apart from those of other MBA candidates, and to further your own personal development, as well.
GMAT Club Bot